Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sean Dyche - not your average presser

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'm going to leap in here and say that that is a poor generalisation about a small number of 'journalists'.

Most journalists know the answer to the question they are about to ask, especially in politics and often in sport, before they've asked it. It depends on the type of press conference, of course.

Most journalists also work to a very high standard. The problem is often the editors, or worse, the owners, whose editorial policy can often be at odds with good journalism - e.g., reporting on something happening in Westminster, or City Hall. If it is dying (and I don't think it is), it is being done by those above them.

In this instance, Sean Dyche's lookey-likeys stuff probably will garner a few column inches just because it's out of character with his public persona, and it was mildly amusing.

That said, some 'journalists' do seem to refer to 'reset' when asking their questions; some think they are being edgy, some think they are being provocative, some do leave me banging my head on the table when I've been at a presser.

Pressers can often be repetitive, especially when there's two in a week, and the manager is often groomed into manager-speak for the sake of something piping up that neither he nor the club wanted publicising.

Silly questions and repetitive answers are a toxic mix. That's why the best stories are usually retrieved from a one-on-one interview.

[emoji106]

Well said. There will always be a place for good sports journalism. Your podcast is terrific btw.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don't think Dyche is that worried about how much BHA have spent - he's just bitter/disappointed that his own Board haven't given him much to spend. Burnley have been in the Premier League for 6 of the past 7 seasons, and had a few seasons doing a yo-yo just before that. They've hoovered up quite a lot more EPL money than we have. However, their Board adopted a policy of building up cash, rather than spending it. And funnily enough that policy enabled them to recently sell out to US investors, who used those same cash reserves to buy the club - in the process enriching the former owners, and significantly endebting Burnley FC. All those years of parsimony - and now just a pile of debt!!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I don't think Dyche is that worried about how much BHA have spent - he's just bitter/disappointed that his own Board haven't given him much to spend. Burnley have been in the Premier League for 6 of the past 7 seasons, and had a few seasons doing a yo-yo just before that. They've hoovered up quite a lot more EPL money than we have. However, their Board adopted a policy of building up cash, rather than spending it. And funnily enough that policy enabled them to recently sell out to US investors, who used those same cash reserves to buy the club - in the process enriching the former owners, and significantly endebting Burnley FC. All those years of parsimony - and now just a pile of debt!!

That's my view. I think he compares his lot with that of managers at teams that he sees as comparable and grumbles that he doesn't get the support that they do. Its passive aggressive, like a lot of what he says to the media. In reality his stock has been high over the years and still is in terms of his desirability to clubs who would back him more than Burnley do. If this is what he wants, he could walk away and take the next offer from a big club, if it isn't then his battle is with his board and has nothing to with us and he can leave us out of it.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
In his latest press conference, hilarious banter merchant* Sean Dyche once again slipped in his oft repeated mantra about Brighton spending a lot of money. This time he added, 'over the last two and a half seasons', presumably because most of our spend did not happen very recently.

Putting aside the fact that, compared to Burnley's (now departed with £200 million) board, even pre-visitations Ebeneezer Scrooge had spent a lot of money, I wondered how accurate this claim, that he seems to make every time he mentions us, really is.

A quick look at https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB1 shows that our spend is actually the twelfth highest out of the 25 teams that have spent some time in the top league over the last 2.5 seasons. However, as this includes teams that have not stayed in the division for the entirety of the period, it does not compare like for like spending over the period. Narrowing it down to just those teams who have been in the Premier League for the whole of the last two and a half seasons, our expenditure is the 5th lowest out of 15, spending slightly more than Southampton & Newcastle and significantly more than only Palace & Burnley. Over the last six transfer windows we have spend a combined total that is less than two thirds of our competitors.

Now, that we've finally sold you Dale for next to nothing Sean, could you please knock off the resentment/jealousy/getting in early excuses/spin/outright nonsense?

* - I really didn't buy the 'isn't he funny' spin on the City press conference. He broke out of the robotic call and response that most managers use to straight-bat press conferences and those writing about it got excited that they had something different to write about, but what he said wasn't particularly funny and the didactic way he said it absolutely killed any humour there could have been. Now, had he suggested that they abandoned the conference for a quick game of 'No More Jockeys', I'd have been with him: 'Sean Dyche - No more hypocrites.'

Agree with all you say. I find Dyche very tiresome and found that press conference more dull than the usual and really not very funny at all.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I haven't said that we've done things on the cheap, only that it seems odd that virtually every time he plays us, Dyche says that we've spent a lot of money, but doesn't seem to say it about the ten or eleven teams who have spent more than us.

He says it about all 19 of the clubs that have spent more than Burnley.

Tony Bloom has (judging from a quick look at the BHA Holdings accounts) put £394m into the club as at summer 2020. Almost certainly more now. Burnley's owners have put nothing in and have taken £100m or so out. Dyche was bitter about Garlick's refusal to spend money before we knew the cause (maybe Dyche had his supicions); with nothing spent again in the transfer window, but 4 players' contracts renewed, we will have to wait and see what happens next.

But whatever it is, "what happens next" won't include Dyche not having a dig at big spenders!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
There is something very strange about the financial situation at Burnley. They are one of the, if not the, most parsimonious clubs in the PL. They probably have something like £120 million coming in each year. They don't buy many players and when they do they buy from the value end of the market. They don't pay big wages. I would imagine their admin costs are relatively low. And yet......year on year they never give Dyche much money to invest in players and they've just been taken over which has, as I understand it, converted what must've been a pretty tidy bank balance, into a massive debt. Someone's creaming it somewhere surely Shirley???

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He says it about all 19 of the clubs that have spent more than Burnley.

Tony Bloom has (judging from a quick look at the BHA Holdings accounts) put £394m into the club as at summer 2020. Almost certainly more now. Burnley's owners have put nothing in and have taken £100m or so out. Dyche was bitter about Garlick's refusal to spend money before we knew the cause (maybe Dyche had his supicions); with nothing spent again in the transfer window, but 4 players' contracts renewed, we will have to wait and see what happens next.

But whatever it is, "what happens next" won't include Dyche not having a dig at big spenders!

I've never heard him say it about the likes of Sheffield United who have spent more than Brighton have in the last two years. Anyway, it's not a dig at big spenders. In EPL terms, its a dig at everyone he plays except for Palace who, in the 2.5 year period have not only spent £15 million less than Burnley, but also have made more through player sales.

I hope for you Burnley fans that your new owners don't mirror Palace's whose investment in the playing squad tailed off significantly after Parrish sold out to US sports investors who seem to have promised a lot more than they have delivered and now appear to be trying to sell out at a profit. Obviously, I've no love for Palace, but when it comes down to it, I don't like to see any fans being taken advantage of by rich businessmen. I hope that your new owners don't turn out to be your very own Venky's.

Despite his moaning about their parsimony, do you think that part of Dyche's loyalty was to the old board? Do you think that he'll have the same patience with the new lot if they don't invest?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He's probably not a fan of the way we try to hide the fact that we've been bankrolled up the league by a Billionaire and likes to remind people. To be fair it would grate me if i kept hearing about an opposition manager being so brilliant having done things on the cheap when it's not really the case.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Eh?

What on earth does that mean? Who, in your view, is trying to hide the fact that Tony Bloom has invested a vast amount of money into the club?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I've never heard him say it about the likes of Sheffield United who have spent more than Brighton have in the last two years. Anyway, it's not a dig at big spenders. In EPL terms, its a dig at everyone he plays except for Palace who, in the 2.5 year period have not only spent £15 million less than Burnley, but also have made more through player sales.

I hope for you Burnley fans that your new owners don't mirror Palace's whose investment in the playing squad tailed off significantly after Parrish sold out to US sports investors who seem to have promised a lot more than they have delivered and now appear to be trying to sell out at a profit. Obviously, I've no love for Palace, but when it comes down to it, I don't like to see any fans being taken advantage of by rich businessmen. I hope that your new owners don't turn out to be your very own Venky's.

Despite his moaning about their parsimony, do you think that part of Dyche's loyalty was to the old board? Do you think that he'll have the same patience with the new lot if they don't invest?
Venky's, as owners, wouldn't have been so bad if they had known what they were doing. They got the idea that Shebby Singh was the man to trust, and he sacked all the people at the club who knew which way was up, and replaced them with people who took them down. They did a bit like wolves and signed a load of Portuguese players, but unfortunately all the ones Blackburn signed were rubbish.

Venky's seem to have got the hang of it now and are at least holding their own - while still pumping £20m or so per year into the club. Idiots.

As for Dyche, his relationship with the board was nil He wasn't on speaking terms with Mike Garlick. Possibly we now know the reason why.

I have a strong suspicion that ALK are in it for profit and nothing else. If they turn out to be wizards at running a football club and we do well, then it might work out. If not, they will do whatever they think will give them the most return, and if that means selling all the players and pocketing the cash, that's what they will do. If Dyche leaves, we're sunk, possibly without trace.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In his latest press conference, hilarious banter merchant* Sean Dyche once again slipped in his oft repeated mantra about Brighton spending a lot of money. This time he added, 'over the last two and a half seasons', presumably because most of our spend did not happen very recently.

Putting aside the fact that, compared to Burnley's (now departed with £200 million) board, even pre-visitations Ebeneezer Scrooge had spent a lot of money, I wondered how accurate this claim, that he seems to make every time he mentions us, really is.

A quick look at https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB1 shows that our spend is actually the twelfth highest out of the 25 teams that have spent some time in the top league over the last 2.5 seasons. However, as this includes teams that have not stayed in the division for the entirety of the period, it does not compare like for like spending over the period. Narrowing it down to just those teams who have been in the Premier League for the whole of the last two and a half seasons, our expenditure is the 5th lowest out of 15, spending slightly more than Southampton & Newcastle and significantly more than only Palace & Burnley. Over the last six transfer windows we have spend a combined total that is less than two thirds of our competitors.

Now, that we've finally sold you Dale for next to nothing Sean, could you please knock off the resentment/jealousy/getting in early excuses/spin/outright nonsense?

* - I really didn't buy the 'isn't he funny' spin on the City press conference. He broke out of the robotic call and response that most managers use to straight-bat press conferences and those writing about it got excited that they had something different to write about, but what he said wasn't particularly funny and the didactic way he said it absolutely killed any humour there could have been. Now, had he suggested that they abandoned the conference for a quick game of 'No More Jockeys', I'd have been with him: 'Sean Dyche - No more hypocrites.'

Not sure we need to take offence at Douche commenting about our finances. It isn't as if this is going to result in Albion fans returning their season tickets. I always smirk when I hear an opponent getting his excuses in early :wink:

I also smirked when I heard a recent Mauren quote before the Chelsea game. Backdrop: Tommy Tootle brough in to win the EPL for Chelsea. Maureen says 'Oh, anyone can win the EPL at Chelsea, I did it three times, Ancelotti did it, blah blah'. No pressure on Tommy Tootle then ??? But it didn't work last noght though - Maureen 0 Tootle 1. :lolol:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Eh?

What on earth does that mean? Who, in your view, is trying to hide the fact that Tony Bloom has invested a vast amount of money into the club?
Sorry- we don't hide it, but I do feel we try to play it down and not draw attention to Bloom's wealth (admittedly that can't be done when the annual accounts come out).

The media rarely talk about us in the same way they have done with other clubs that have been bankrolled to success purely because of a rich owner, put it that way. Maybe that will come when we start winning trophies.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My favourite ever lookalike was on a flight back from Riga. Plane entirely full of mortally hungover stay do survivors. Just in front of me a large contingent are trying to work out who the flight attendant looks like and it's bugging their addled brains that none of them can work out who it is.
"Fat Michael Flatley" I tell them.
Poor sod had to put up with a dozen people doing Riverdance in their seats and having hysterics until we landed.

One of my favourite ones was in a Spanish airport's departure lounge, where I saw a guy who was the spitting image of my Dad. Even had the same sort of clothes as Bobkin Snr would wear. Another airline-related one was the picture of a steward in the Easyjet magazine, who looked (to me at least) very much like my BIL. The picture of the Easyjet fella is still what shows up when the BIL calls and it STILL makes me laugh – about a decade later!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Eh?

Well done for digging that comment out.

Some very weird stuff on this thread. Why should we care what another manager says about Brighton?

And as for the secret society running the club, FFS :facepalm:

What I want to know is what happened to the cup final money. Dick Tight doesn't have a pot to piss in. What we need is a massive unit centre forward we can hoof the ball to. Porter OUT!!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry- we don't hide it, but I do feel we try to play it down and not draw attention to Bloom's wealth (admittedly that can't be done when the annual accounts come out).

The media rarely talk about us in the same way they have done with other clubs that have been bankrolled to success purely because of a rich owner, put it that way. Maybe that will come when we start winning trophies.

How? I have never heard anyone at the club pretending we are spending less than we do.

Our owner keeps transfer fees and salaries private. What possible advantage is their to be a bobby big bollox about spending? It simply gives rivals buyers and sellers an edge should we ever trade. The club was like this during Dick Knights era too, allegedly to ensure we were not soaked when we bought payers (Knight had more money than generally apparent).

I don't go on NSC and brag about my bedroom antics. That doesn't mean I'm playing them down. ???

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Remind me again why Brighton have had 11 red cards in the last 4 years in the PL, while Burnley have had 1? ???

Oh that's easy, you are way more controlled when fouling people, we've just had the odd player who gets a stupid rush of blood to the head like Andone, Duffy or Knockaert, or players who mess up a non-malicious challenge for the ball like Bissouma and Dunk this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here