Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls to swoop for sparrow

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
AS pointed out yesterday, he's a PIRATE. Probably related to that...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's 29, played at Scunthorpe his whole career [11 years]. 36 goals in 336 games.

I think he's a left midfielder.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
İbrahim Tatlıses;3569076 said:
"After spending several months in prison in 2001, he became a regular in the Scunthorpe first team."

Sounds like trouble, anyone know what he did?

Can't find anything on it, so can't be anything TOO bad...

D

Deleted User X18H

"After spending several months in prison in 2001, he became a regular in the Scunthorpe first team."

So what if he has done a bit of BIRD:laugh:

Three years ago ...

Steve Claridge's scouting report: Matt Sparrow, Scunthorpe United | Football | The Guardian

Steve Claridge's scouting report: Matt Sparrow, Scunthorpe United

Steve Claridge The Guardian, Tuesday 1 May 2007

The first thing that strikes you about Matt Sparrow is his boundless energy. You have to be fit to play football these days and those who are have so many more avenues open than those who are left wanting in that respect. He certainly knows how to utilise that strength.

He will not always play well - nobody does - but, with the levels of fitness he possesses, he can still affect a game physically even when he's not quite at the races. At Blackpool on Saturday Scunthorpe finished well beaten but the 23-year-old midfielder still impressed. I've seen him play a few times this season and I've always liked the way he applies himself.

His fitness allows him to play on either flank even though he doesn't have a winger's tricks but he sees a pass early and is workmanlike and disciplined. It is in central midfield, however, that Sparrow is at his best, particularly when games become stretched and opponents tire. Then, with his relentless running, he really comes into his own.

There are plenty of other good aspects to his game, including an excellent first touch and decent close control which is aided by his ability to get his body between an opponent and the ball quickly in tight areas, using a wiry strength that belies his slender frame. He's not afraid to put his foot in but can be impulsive at times.

When opponents get away from him he occasionally resorts to lunges, almost like Paul Scholes, rather than chasing back and trying to intercept or showing them one way or another. That could boil down to laziness or frustration but he is not a dirty player. Yet Scunthorpe can live with that, given the positive things he brings to their teamwork. Good at making third-man runs, he sees space and is quick to exploit it, judging when to get past his forward and when to support, which explains his double-figure tally of goals over the past few seasons. He has equipped himself extremely well against top quality opposition in the cup competitions and he made such a strong impact against Aston Villa that he was subsequently linked with a move to Villa Park.

You would think he would enjoy playing at the higher level. He is easy on the eye, links well with his forwards but also protects and helps his defenders by tackling from the wrong side and makes sure he tracks his runner whenever he threatens to get goal-side.

It has not always been a smooth ride for Sparrow, who served time in prison in his youth, but I am told he has learned his lessons. Unfortunately, just when things were going so well this season, he sustained a bad knee injury in December which ruled him out for three months. But he returned to fitness to play a full part in Scunthorpe's excellent run-in. Promotion to the Championship represents a new chapter and a new challenge for a player who, with more than 200 games under his belt, has spent eight seasons in the bottom two divisions. My money is on him making the most of it. Whatever happens, he'll keep on running.

Age 23

Born Scunthorpe

Position midfielder

Height 5ft 11in

Weight 10st 6lb

How he rates

Shooting 8/10

Heading 7/10

Passing 9/10

Tackling 8/10

Team responsibility 9/10

Attitude 9/10

Valuation £500,000- £750,000

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Scored twice in league 1 playoff final and once to keep them in the championship on the last day.

Replacement for Crofts?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds like a better version of Crofts, get him in.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

Long time ago, no need to get in a flap about it.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I sa him play for Scunny years ago at a random game I went to up north and he was leaps and bounds ahead of most players on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here