Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Party to fight by-election in Lewes District

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Lewes District Council leader Ann De Vecchi has dismissed the Seagulls Party as "purely a single issue" outfit. [/B]
Yes - fighting for justice.

The Sussex Express story:-

FOUR CANDIDATES FOR BY-ELECTION

THE recently launched Seagulls Party will be contesting the by-election in the Ouse Valley and Ringmer ward of Lewes District Council, made vacant by the death of John Fletcher, who was an Independent.

The by-election takes place on August 17.

The Seagulls candidate is Ed Bassford, who lives in Firle.

He is one of the founder members of the Seagulls Party, which was only launched in June by disgruntled Brighton and Hove Albion supporters who are angry at Lewes District Council's opposition to a new stadium at Falmer.

Mr Bassford's campaign will focus on the need to change the way Lewes District Council works and to involve the public better in its decision-making processes.

He worked as a public transport planner in local government for more than 25 years and now manages a community transport operation in Brighton and Hove.

Ringmer man Professor Peter Gardiner is the LibDem candidate.

The retired civil engineer said: 'There are many crucial issues that need to be addressed in Ringmer, including close monitoring of planning applications, encouraging affordable housing for local young families, and providing adequate public transport provision.'

The Conservatives have picked Paul Gander, a kitchen fitter of Ringmer, as their candidate.

He has lived there since 1984.

His main platforms are seeking flood defences for Ringmer, more affordable housing and a pedestrian crossing near the Harrisons Lane junction on the B2192 to make it easier for school children and people on mobility scooters to cross the road.

He also wants to reduce traffic, particularly lorry traffic, in Ringmer, South Heighton, Beddingham, Glynde and Firle.

The fourth candidate is Labour's Trevor Hopper of Lewes who is an Open University teacher of history.

He is especially interested in transport issues.

27 July 2006

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
It's a bit annoying that Labour have put someone up. I've no idea what Trevor Hopper's personal view on Falmer is, but if -- like most Labour types -- he is pro, he has the potential to split our vote.

james

May 14, 2004
Lindfield
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Go Mr Bassford!!! I am still spitting feathers at the latest piece of propoganda rubbish that was posted through my letterbox the other night from the Lib Dems. Did anyone else who lives in Ringmer see it? I am not sure where they took the picture but it didn't look like the Stadium site to me. :angry: :censored: :angry: Can anyone throw any light on the picture?

Right I am off to persuade Mrs james to vote seagulls party on 17 August!!

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Tyrone Biggums said:
How good would it be to make a statement about the Stadium if the Club could muster up 4948 fans to deliver one hand delivered election flyer to to each of those 4948 who will be voting.

To me that would make a massive statement to all and sundry about the support the club has in it's need for a new stadium and would give more good news coverage for the club.

Great idea

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
It's a bit annoying that Labour have put someone up. I've no idea what Trevor Hopper's personal view on Falmer is, but if -- like most Labour types -- he is pro, he has the potential to split our vote.

In Glynde and Ringmer?? At the last poll they got 465 votes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here