Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull Travel From Havant

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The ground was sold to build a housing estate of blocks of flats without first having got a new ground sorted, seems to ring a bell, they had problems getting a ground and this went on for a few years and eventually the lady and her partner who were both involved with Godalming Town got themselves voted on to the committee who were looking after the money that had been raised. There was about £37000 left and obviously not enough to build the new ground they persuaded the committee to give the money to Godalming Town and rename the club Guildford and Godalming. They got the money and then a few seasons later having spent the money dropped the Guildford bit from the name, A local club owner Michele Harper tried to revive the club but was successful after Tesco built a ground at The Spectrum in exchange for being given permission to build a store up near the Royal Surrey Hospital. Wimbledon considered moving there under Sam Hamman but the council refused saying they didnt want a Football League club in Guildford so Burpham FC took over the ground and changed their name to AFC Guildford, which as far as I know is what is still happening now.

They are , once again, playing as Guildford City.
Tenuous link to the Albion - Archie MaCaulay managed Guildford City in the early ' 50's

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Given the issues many have getting back to London after midweek games, maybe ST should run a service from Gatwick Airport or Three Bridges Station to give people a better chance of getting back to home.

That sounds a good idea but dont think Crawley will be too happy but they are not at home when we are so it shouldnt affect them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They are , once again, playing as Guildford City.
Tenuous link to the Albion - Archie MaCaulay managed Guildford City in the early ' 50's

Billy Lane was also their manager I believe and brought Jimmy Langley with him. I left Guildford in 1995 and reading wiki obviously Michele Harper was succesful as they reformed as AFC Burpham and then Guildford United until becoming once again Guildford City in 1996.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Given the issues many have getting back to London after midweek games, maybe ST should run a service from Gatwick Airport or Three Bridges Station to give people a better chance of getting back to home.

I've only just noticed this post.

Yes a great idea. Particularly after midweek games, as trains run, (or are supposed to), back to London through the night.

The ground was sold to build a housing estate of blocks of flats without first having got a new ground sorted, seems to ring a bell, they had problems getting a ground and this went on for a few years and eventually the lady and her partner who were both involved with Godalming Town got themselves voted on to the committee who were looking after the money that had been raised. There was about £37000 left and obviously not enough to build the new ground they persuaded the committee to give the money to Godalming Town and rename the club Guildford and Godalming. They got the money and then a few seasons later having spent the money dropped the Guildford bit from the name, A local club owner Michele Harper tried to revive the club but was successful after Tesco built a ground at The Spectrum in exchange for being given permission to build a store up near the Royal Surrey Hospital. Wimbledon considered moving there under Sam Hamman but the council refused saying they didnt want a Football League club in Guildford so Burpham FC took over the ground and changed their name to AFC Guildford, which as far as I know is what is still happening now.
Rather surprised that this history makes no mention of Guildford & Dorking United. I remember Dorking FC managing to elevate themselves from the Athenian to the Southern League in the 1970s simply by merging with the defunct Guildford City and changing their name, yet still played at Dorking!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I understand that a Seagull Travel bus leaves Market Parade for matches to the Amex. I have tried to get a bit of info. of the official site but it lacks important details. So, a number of questions that may be someone can answer?

1. Do you require a travel season ticket to board or can you pay per match?

2. What are the departure times (particularly for evening games), and return times?

3. Are there any problems (i.e. traffic congestion) that affect the journey or is it problem free?

4. Is it worthwhile, in comparison to the pain of driving a car long distance (from Southampton) or trying to get a non-existent SASTA train?

And any comments or opinions would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers!

My Dad gets on at Havant and goes to every home game since the start of the Amex, if you want any details then let me know.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Rather surprised that this history makes no mention of Guildford & Dorking United. I remember Dorking FC managing to elevate themselves from the Athenian to the Southern League in the 1970s simply by merging with the defunct Guildford City and changing their name, yet still played at Dorking!

As someone who was quite into non-league football back in the 1970's, I'm surprised I can't remember that. I was brought up watching my then local side Staines Town, and occasionally went to watch Walton & Hersham under the great Allen Batsford. Both clubs were on the other side of the football pyramid though, Athenian and Isthmian Leagues respectively.

How long did Guildford & Dorking United last for?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

They did indeed but that was prior to the intervention of the couple from Godalming. Not sure why that liaison finished, possibly the same trying to get hold of Guildford City funds but I dont know.

As someone who was quite into non-league football back in the 1970's, I'm surprised I can't remember that. I was brought up watching my then local side Staines Town, and occasionally went to watch Walton & Hersham under the great Allen Batsford. Both clubs were on the other side of the football pyramid though, Athenian and Isthmian Leagues respectively.

How long did Guildford & Dorking United last for?
They failed to complete their third season. They managed to trounce Arundel 7-0 in the FA Cup in 1975 but Southwick giant-killed them in the 2ndQR, which I think was the season they made it to Bournemouth. There's a useful site here.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here