Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagull special's

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Used it many times and never thought about not paying. I remember after one friday night having imbibed too much the night before waking up at about 5 in the morning for a necessary comfort break. I couldn't get back to sleep so wondered where the Albion were playing that day and remembered Grimsby! so still not thinking straight got a train to Brighton in time for the Seagulls special and as it was not sold out managed to buy a ticket at the gate. Oh the smell of fish as we passed through Grimsby Docks station on the way to Cleethorpes was enough to clear any hangover. The memories!! The only time I did not pay was the seagulls special to Charlton- a free ticket for not arriving at Forest on the train that never arrived for the League Cup match.

:p

Last edited:

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I used it all the time and always paid, must admit I never realised anyone bunked on for free but guess I was young and naive then :angel:

herman gelmet

Not the tosser
Jan 20, 2008
worthing
Used it all the time as a teenager, it was only about £2 to go anywhere wasn't it?
Anyone remember cardiff in about 76. Station near the ground was closed, so the police walked us through cardiff for about a mile to the ground. After the game, no police to be seen, longest mile of my life. I was the one with the big black eye thanks to some welsh inbreds giving me headbutts:rant: I was only 14 for christ sake
Kept my scarf though:ascarf:
Think we lost 2-0

Jan 30, 2008
Used it all the time as a teenager, it was only about £2 to go anywhere wasn't it?
Anyone remember cardiff in about 76. Station near the ground was closed, so the police walked us through cardiff for about a mile to the ground. After the game, no police to be seen, longest mile of my life. I was the one with the big black eye thanks to some welsh inbreds giving me headbutts:rant: I was only 14 for christ sake
Kept my scarf though:ascarf:
Think we lost 2-0
£2 ,no it varied .after the service stopped i think the club provided discount fares on scheduled service's to away matches but i think theses were limited to about 100 per game

Ex Vanguard Drinker

Feb 14, 2008
Most times paid the cost but not when using normal train service.Still getting someone under 14 i think to purchase child ticket but we all looked mid teens and older but never stoped by the old bill or ticket collectors.Mad rush back at brighton to get over the rail lines to unused platform.Most trips to london never bought tickets and would come back next day on the first train,some very cold nights and meeting other lost souls at Vic station.Met the Nolan sisters with some of the Albion players once back in early 80,s on train back from london.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I used it a few times. My Dad got stuck on the seagull special to Notts Forest for the league cup game back in the late 70's!

I think the last one was to Hull City in the FACup in 1986 (we won 3-2). The train lost a number of windows as we pulled out the station and the locals bid us a fond farewell.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I remember a bloke who boarded the Seagull Special without a ticket at Oldham Werneth on a Tuesday evening circa 1978.

It wasn't until nearly midnight when we were approaching somewhere like Leicester that he realised he wasn't on his usual commuter train home and he managed to get the the train stopped and so he could get off.

We had great fun imagining the story he would have to tell his missus :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here