Sea fishing or Coarse fishing

• Sea

• Coarse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've never done any kind of fishing at all, l simply don't have the patience for it. But if l were to try it l'd want to eat whatever l catch.

So sea fishing it would have to be.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Both though prefer chucking and hoping in the sea,which in my humble opinion is far more difficult when conditions are against you,than coarse fishing in lakes when you know the fish are already there and are awaiting their daily feed from anglers, along with the hassle of getting hooked now and then,sometimes twice a day if they've forgotten they'd been hooked earlier 😉.

I've fished large open beach matches where only a few anglers out of hundreds managed to catch something,this would suggest the skill and watercraft needed to be a successful sea angler is just as high if not higher as a top coarse match angler.

Anyway this isn't the time nor Plaice to discuss this theory.
Quite right.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I have just cast my vote - although I have quite a bit of coarse fishing experience, my few days of sea fishing were always a joy - and you get to take something home afterwards (even though a buck of mackerel is a bit of a challenge to process in one go!)

Bald Head

Jul 20, 2022
Brighton
Sea fishing for me, Brighton Marina, Worthing Pier and Newhaven usual places but the most enjoyable was Saint Catherines breakwater on Jersey it is idyllic.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think the idea that Coarse fishing is fishing big goldfish ponds for overfed verging-on pets is definitely valid for one section of it. But certainly not for all. Fishing for wild Barbel on the Wye or Sussex chalk streams for wild brown trout couldn’t be further than that.

I don’t mind sea fishing but it just feels like we don’t live in a very good place for it, compared to a lot of other places on the planet. I can’t get excited about using massive rods and 7oz weights to catch 2lb fish, it just feels very crude.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I’m sure a lot of us on here live close to the coast and to some stunning rivers, lakes, ponds and streams. So if you dangle what’s your favourite and why. Puns and serious replies welcome.
I like both and the added advantage of sea is you can eat a lot of what you catch.

But course fishing wins, as its more about the ambience, the peace and serenity of a good pitch by a quiet stretch of river.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I think the idea that Coarse fishing is fishing big goldfish ponds for overfed verging-on pets is definitely valid for one section of it. But certainly not for all. Fishing for wild Barbel on the Wye or Sussex chalk streams for wild brown trout couldn’t be further than that.

I don’t mind sea fishing but it just feels like we don’t live in a very good place for it, compared to a lot of other places on the planet. I can’t get excited about using massive rods and 7oz weights to catch 2lb fish, it just feels very crude.
Your're definitely fishing the wrong place if you're using 7oz weights for 2lb fish!
Dangling for wild river fish is very cathartic though.
I have been asked so many times the same question "caught anything?"
Trying to explain that fishing isn't just about catching fish. It's about being in and around nature and at peace with yourself

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s a very odd feeling being Codroe for a day. 😉

Those who assume I’ve done very little sea fishing would be correct. I’ve also done very little carp fishing. I mostly do river and lake match fishing (never use a pole though) and specimen barbel fishing (best 16lb 2oz).

Oh, and upstream dry fly on chalk streams for wild brownies and a bit of salmon fishing on the Tay (but they’re not included in this thread).
🤔

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Your're definitely fishing the wrong place if you're using 7oz weights for 2lb fish!
Dangling for wild river fish is very cathartic though.
I have been asked so many times the same question "caught anything?"
Trying to explain that fishing isn't just about catching fish. It's about being in and around nature and at peace with yourself
😁 Having a mid-match lull
1000022392.jpg

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
sea fishing for me, but I haven’t been for a few years.
We had regular bookings with John goldsmith out of Newhaven ,over the wrecks, and it’s was great fun👍

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Sea fishing certainly turns coarse when I lose another weight when casting off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
sea fishing for me, but I haven’t been for a few years.
We had regular bookings with John goldsmith out of Newhaven ,over the wrecks, and it’s was great fun👍
You may not know but John sadly passed away a few weeks ago (cancer). Top skipper and a decent bloke.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Done both but much prefer sea fishing, it's more a hunter gatherer thing than sitting at a lake when you know the fish are there waiting for a maggot, bit of corn or a boilie. A 10lb fish from the beach takes a lot more landing than a 10lb Carp from a lake as well.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
First time in 40 years that I haven't bought a rod license.

Would really like to get into river fishing....short rod, centre pin and trot with the flow.

Sold my carp stuff, got fed up with sitting behind a bite alarm and catching the occasional 5lb carp on a 3.5lb test curve rod, 18lb line and size 6 hook.
I'll renew my license next year and re-join Hassocks and district A/C

Gave fly fishing a go a few years ago. Paid £10 for a "taster day" and caught a trout on a fly I tied myself. Loved it.

The one thing i'd love to do is to catch a couple Mackerel and put them straight on a hot BBQ and eat them straight from that.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Never been fishing but doing it through coercion sounds interesting and challenging

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here