Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scunthorpe no longer chasing Murray

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
According to SSN

Scunthorpe boss Ian Baraclough has admitted defeat in his attempts to lure Brighton forward Glenn Murray to Glanford Park.

As revealed by skysports.com, the Seagulls striker has emerged as a target for a number of clubs, with Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday also linked with his services.

Baraclough confirmed he had approached the League One leaders over their in-form forward, but was given little encouragement that a deal could be struck and is now resigned to looking elsewhere.

"Yes, Murray is a player we have enquired about, but Brighton want to keep him," Baraclough told the Scunthorpe Telegraph. "I am sure we are not the only club interested in him.

"We are not a Manchester City who can offer over the odds for players they want.

"I am sure Murray has an agent who is being very active at the moment.

"We have not had permission to talk to Glenn, so we move on, look somewhere else."

:bigwave:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Shock horrow the Albion want Muzza to stay... some of us have been warning idiots on here not to brick it for months - contract talks were delayed until Jan...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yup. Positive noises (for us) in the Argus today as well;

Baraclough: "Brighton want to keep him". "I would think it would be very hard for anybody to get him out of Brighton".

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What on earth would Muzza want to go to Scunthorpe for anyway ? Even if we don't go up and they stay up (neither are too likely) Scunthorpe is a dump's dump of a place to live not to mention a club punching above their weight.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
One down and two (that we know of) to go............

Presumably Wednesday & the Blades haven't got as far as official approaches although the bit about Murray's agent being busy suggests we really should get a deal tied-up.

I especially like this bit:

"I would think it would be very hard for anybody to get him out of Brighton".

and this from the argus:

Matt Sparrow, Albion's ex-Scunthorpe midfielder, says he is not surprised by his old club's interest in Murray but has never seen the striker in a better mood.

"We've got some great players here. Quite a few of them are up in the summer as well (contracts), so there is bound to be speculation in January.

"Glenn keeps reminding everyone about his goals. He is on fire. He is sharp, he is buzzing about, to be honest I have never seen him so happy compared to what he was like at the beginning of the season. For Glenn Murray he is a bit bubbly!

"He is smiling every day at the moment. He is probably as happy at home as well. He is scoring in training and when it comes to match days."

Last edited:

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Surely Wednesday are the only club who may be able to offer enough to make it worth his or our while, i thought Sheff Utd were skint.
Lets face it he was never going to go to Scunthorpe.
Get the new contract sorted asap.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Shock horrow the Albion want Muzza to stay... some of us have been warning idiots on here not to brick it for months - contract talks were delayed until Jan...

Of course we want to keep him, but that will change if we don't come to a contractual agreement. There is no need to panic as such, but it is not over until he signs a new deal. I don't think 'idiot' is the correct term for someone concerned.

It is quite clear that we have wanted to keep him all along. It is quite clear that Gus rates him highly. It is quite clear that Gus wants Murray to reach his peak and earn a new contract on improved terms.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Murray isnt going anywhere at the minute unless a ridiculously good offer comes in.
He will wait until the end of the season and see if we go up or not before he makes his move, if we go up happy days he will stay and we will be in a much better position to pay him what he wants, if we dont he will be free agent and be able to negotiate from a strong psoition with any club.
Its win win for players when there contracts are winding down...as long as they dont pick up a serious injury.....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Anyone know if he is still with the girlfriend he met down here? All the time she is giving good sex and refusing to leave the south we will keep him!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course we want to keep him, but that will change if we don't come to a contractual agreement. There is no need to panic as such, but it is not over until he signs a new deal. I don't think 'idiot' is the correct term for someone concerned.

It is quite clear that we have wanted to keep him all along. It is quite clear that Gus rates him highly. It is quite clear that Gus wants Murray to reach his peak and earn a new contract on improved terms.

I meant the 'idiots' who were panicking as early as Nov and making their minds up he was going when Gus had said no contract talks were taking place till Jan...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Anyone know if he is still with the girlfriend he met down here? All the time she is giving good sex and refusing to leave the south we will keep him!

I think that's what Spaz was referring to when he said Muzza was happy at home too :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here