Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SCR Phone In Special

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So to summarise DW got the sack for being too close to some of the players and not being a "proper" boss?

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I don't think we should criticise DK for privately discussing matters with supporters who work closely with the club. He took a lot of flak and was probably trigger happy even then but didn't go running to the Argus for obvious reasons.

LB, When speaking to Harty did you speculate on a replacement for Wilkins or had DK already given an indication of who he may be bring in?

I don't see that any damage has been done, if anything it's amazing this took so many of us by suprise!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't think we should criticise DK for privately discussing matters with supporters who work closely with the club. He took a lot of flak and was probably trigger happy even then but didn't go running to the Argus for obvious reasons.

LB, When speaking to Harty did you speculate on a replacement for Wilkins or had DK already given an indication of who he may be bring in?

I don't see that any damage has been done, if anything it's amazing this took so many of us by suprise!!

So you think that the Chairman discussing the removal of the current successful manager with anyone outside of the club is reasonable ?

Not really sure if the initial thought to even contemplate sacking Wilkins is a great footballing decision but to then somehow allow the information to be given to supporters ahead of Wilkins himself is indefensible.

Its another example of bad practice that runs through the club at present.

I don't recall any speculation with Harty about who might replace Wilkins.

In the conversation I had with him, DK expressed his concerns about the manager. He never went as far as saying that he intended to get rid of Wilkins. The question of a replacement therefore never arose.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
So you think that the Chairman discussing the removal of the current successful manager with anyone outside of the club is reasonable ?

Not really sure if the initial thought to even contemplate sacking Wilkins is a great footballing decision but to then somehow allow the information to be given to supporters ahead of Wilkins himself is indefensible.

Its another example of bad practice that runs through the club at present.

But you are totally missing the point again!

Dick Knight is the chairman and it's his choice to talk to who he wants to about what he wants to.

As for bad practice you don't know every single in and out of the club or the relationship between Dick and the supporters so i wouldn't use that phrase

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I don't recall any speculation with Harty about who might replace Wilkins.

In the conversation I had with him, DK expressed his concerns about the manager. He never went as far as saying that he intended to get rid of Wilkins. The question of a replacement therefore never arose.

That's what I suspected, thanks.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My take on this and it has taken a while to read this all!!!!!!!!! is

1. Dick Knight is the chairman of this club and what he chooses to discuss with people is his business.

2. Certain parties knew about this for months and did the right thing by keeping it quiet until it came out in public.

3. Harty made this public, Whether this was right or wrong it's not our decision to decide it's Dicks as it was his conversation that was revealed.

That is all

Thats more of a statement of what happened.

Our discussion is questioning whether it is fair and reasonable on Wilkins and should the club be acting in such a way anyway.

I do not subscribe to your 'He is the Chairman' bit, a running of a football club is far more intricate than that and needs to be handled carefully and professionally.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But you are totally missing the point again!

Dick Knight is the chairman and it's his choice to talk to who he wants to about what he wants to.

As for bad practice you don't know every single in and out of the club or the relationship between Dick and the supporters so i wouldn't use that phrase

The point is that you feel it is 'good practice' for the Chairman of any football club to talk of the possible sacking of his current manager to supporters and media ahead of discussing this with the manager.

Whos missing the point ?

The point is that you feel it is 'good practice' for the Chairman of any football club to talk of the possible sacking of his current manager to supporters and media ahead of discussing this with the manager.

Whos missing the point ?

You are.

As I've said, the Chairman DIDN'T talk of the possible sacking of his current manager to supporters and media ahead of discussing this with the manager.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton

Whos missing the point ?

you as you are still trying to twist what LB and other people have said.

SACKING ANYONE WAS NOT DISCUSSED.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Thats more of a statement of what happened.

Our discussion is questioning whether it is fair and reasonable on Wilkins and should the club be acting in such a way anyway.

I do not subscribe to your 'He is the Chairman' bit, a running of a football club is far more intricate than that and needs to be handled carefully and professionally.

How can you not subscribe to the 'He is the Chairman' bit. HE IS!

Why is a football club, as a business, different to any other? Why is it more intricate? He chose to express his concerns about the manager to one or two individuals who he trusted to be discreet .. and they were. Where is the bad practice in that?

I've done it in my business. I chose to move someone to a diffrenet role despite the fact that she was very popular with her colleagues and with our customers. I discussed it with someone outside the business because I wanted an outside view. I got that, and complete discretion. I did the deed and although, she was not happy with it, it proved to be 100% the right decison for the company and its customers.

Why is the DK situation any different. He didn't do it for fun. He and board have done it for what they believe is the good of the company and the club.

The fact that you, or I, or others may believe it to be the wrong decision is completely irrelevant.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
How can you not subscribe to the 'He is the Chairman' bit. HE IS!

Why is a football club, as a business, different to any other? Why is it more intricate? He chose to express his concerns about the manager to one or two individuals who he trusted to be discreet .. and they were. Where is the bad practice in that?

I've done it in my business. I chose to move someone to a diffrenet role despite the fact that she was very popular with her colleagues and with our customers. I discussed it with someone outside the business because I wanted an outside view. I got that, and complete discretion. I did the deed and although, she was not happy with it, it proved to be 100% the right decison for the company and its customers.

Why is the DK situation any different. He didn't do it for fun. He and board have done it for what they believe is the good of the company and the club.

The fact that you, or I, or others may believe it to be the wrong decision is completely irrelevant.

Top post :thumbsup:

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
funny thing is, the decision was not JUST DK, it was a board decision, DK is the chairman of the board so is the one making the staements. In the end, they are doing what they feel is best for the club. Some don't agree, some like myself are a bit bemused and have concerns but how many of us know all that happens behind the scenes?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You are.

As I've said, the Chairman DIDN'T talk of the possible sacking of his current manager to supporters and media ahead of discussing this with the manager.

Even discussing anything that can be deemed detrimental to his role as manager is unprofessional.

This was at the time when we were making a push for the play offs and still the Him.

Who was he speaking to, the Board ?

No bloody supporters and the local radio guy !

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You are.

Not sure what happened there !

Even discussing anything that can be deemed detrimental to his role as manager is unprofessional.

This was at the time when we were making a push for the play offs and the Chairman is intimating that he is not trusting of Wilkins and saying this to supporters and the local radio guy ahead of Wilkins himself !

You can runaround the word sack if you want, but if the Chairman is saying these things, that is always the likely outcome.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
funny thing is, the decision was not JUST DK, it was a board decision, DK is the chairman of the board so is the one making the staements. In the end, they are doing what they feel is best for the club. Some don't agree, some like myself are a bit bemused and have concerns but how many of us know all that happens behind the scenes?

You are right. The vast majority on NSC know very little of what goes on behind the scenes, although some seem to think they do, and some believe they have a right to. They don't.

As supporters we must hope that all decisions that are made by the board are the right ones for the club, on and off the field. We can have our views, but we don't have a say. It's always been like that. It may be 'our' club, but it's their company and business.

Not sure what happened there !

This was at the time when we were making a push for the play offs and the Chairman is intimating that he is not trusting of Wilkins and saying this to supporters and the local radio guy ahead of Wilkins himself !

You can runaround the word sack if you want, but if the Chairman is saying these things, that is always the likely outcome.
Oh, for heaven's sake! DK didn't talk to Harty. I did.

And everyone knew that these conversations were not for public consumption.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here