Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SCR over t'interweb

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
For the first time ever I tried to listen to BBC SCR over the net on Saturday, in a vain attempt to get live commentary. All I could get was the 'northern' version of SCR, with Aldershot as the featured game.

I know I live in Berkshire, but surely the whole point of Internet radio is that you can get anything anywhere?

Does anyone have any tips for getting this to work, or a specific URL for the 'Birghton' version of SCR?

(And no, I'm not going to cough up to subscribe to Seagulls World. I object to paying.)

The people who run Seagulls World have bought the rights to SCR's Brighton commentary so it's not available on the net. I usually listen to the build up on SCR then go to SW for the match and the phone in but this week the build up was on SW as well but not on SCR on the web.
If you live outside the catchment area your only chance of getting live commentary is Seagulls World I'm afraid. It usually works (not always!) and is worth the 40 quid or so a year IMHO for the commentary alone (I don´t look at the other stuff except the highlights)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Technically SCR don't own the rights, the football league do. The football league allow SCR to do the commentary, but won't let them stream the commentary on their own site.

The BBC don't make a penny from it and don't have the rights to do anything with it apart from in the local area.

Basically, I think it goes something like this. The BBC are allowed to do the commentary on the basis that the football league can sell it on.

The bit that interests me is do PTV pay the BBC for Hartys phone in ?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
clapham_gull said:

The bit that interests me is do PTV pay the BBC for Hartys phone in ?

:laugh:

SCR probably haven't mentioned it in case PTV charge them to take it away.

bhafc99 said:
For the first time ever I tried to listen to BBC SCR over the net on Saturday, in a vain attempt to get live commentary. All I could get was the 'northern' version of SCR, with Aldershot as the featured game.

I know I live in Berkshire, but surely the whole point of Internet radio is that you can get anything anywhere?

Does anyone have any tips for getting this to work, or a specific URL for the 'Birghton' version of SCR?

(And no, I'm not going to cough up to subscribe to Seagulls World. I object to paying.)

Same happened to me (living in London). I had SW last season but only used it for radio commentry for the odd game so didn't bother re-newing. Suppose I will have to now as listening to the Aldershot match is even more boring than watching teletext.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here