Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scottish football. What a joke!

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Name me a League that isn't dominated by a few teams, and i'll bet it's some 3rd world country playing on dust pitches.

Money has changed this sport and that's the reallity that people have to get to grips with.

Even sports like tennis all the slams are being won by Nadal or Federer, ok the womens is a bit more open but how long will that last?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How can anyone call Scottish football a joke when both of the Old Firm have reached the UEFA Cup Final in the last 6 years.

Can the same be said of Austrian / Hungarian / Swiss / Croatian / Danish / Swedish / Norwegian / Belgian / Czech football? No it can't.

To be fair the lot of, say, a Heart fan isn't too bad. European football every season, 8 or 9 big matches vs The Old Firm, a cup final every couple of years on the cards, pretty much every away game within easy reach isn't a bad lot.

And statistically it's still more likely that Hearts will win the SPL than, say, West Ham will win the Prem.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I think Wardy's "explanation" of the split says it all. So complicated that it makes a joke of the whole season.

When was a team other than these two ever in the top two of the league?

Three seasons ago, when Hearts finished 2nd. It's been four seasons since the top four in England didn't comprise the same four as will be there this season.

I don't get your point.

Scotland has easily the best record in Europe of any countries with less than 10 million people. Indeed, only one other country of that size (Norway) has managed to make the last 16 of the Champions League - and they've only done it once. God only knows when the last time a country of that size other than Scotland provided a UEFA Cup finalist, while Scotland has done it twice in recent seasons.

And then there's League attendances - which are the highest per head in Europe.

Of course there are problems, but they are problems of size of country - and they deal with them far better than any other small country.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They even have an English club competing in the Scottish leagues.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
It was a joke, until last night but now the mighty Falkirk are off the bottom! :clap2:

Hopefully St Liedown will be relegated.

I would personally prefer it if we were playing each other twice a season rather than 3, 4 or 5 times a season. There isn't whole lot of difference between the bottom six of the SPL and the top 4 or 5 in Div 1 of the SFL. I think we would have a strong 16 team league. The trouble is most teams want to play Rantic more becuase they get more revenue from their odious supporters going to away games, even though inevitably the police bill is higher. The split does make things a bit farcical. We've played the Huns 3 times at Ibrox this season. However, it does make it exciting. With only two games to go, only Hibs and Motherwell have nothing to play for.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yeah, what a daft league, where you know the teams that will make up the top 20% of the League before it even starts. That would be like knowing who the top 4 of teh Premiership is every year ..... oh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here