Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'll ask again, what did he do?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He scored to put Orient 4-3 up having been 2-0 down at half time, late in the 1997 season. It was March 8th actually. He then celebrated his goal by making the "going down" signs at the Albion fans. Wanker! :laugh:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
He scored to put Orient 4-3 up having been 2-0 down at half time, late in the 1997 season. It was March 8th actually. He then celebrated his goal by making the "going down" signs at the Albion fans. Wanker! :laugh:

Ta very much!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No worries mate, it was before my time too. I've collected this knowledge through the boards. I have far too much time on my hands.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

I think it was a gun salute (using his hands to make the shape of a pistol) and was aimed at the North Stand and I think it may have even been at 3-2 when that other **** Griffiths scored. Anyway, it got everyone rather incensed, given the precarious state of the club and our season. It totally boiled over and some twats amongst our fans came on the pitch and started having a pop at Orient players (Ray Wilkins) and the ref. Barry Hearn started demanding a points deduction - it was all a bit unsavoury and the catalyst was that **** McGleish.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Oh ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight, I'd read somewhere on here that he gave a going down sign after scoring?! :annoyed:

Tbh, that sounds much worse!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I tell you what though, as bleak as it was at the time i totally miss those days. The passion and tension was there in bucketloads, and the fans were totally behind the players (although not the board!). The last home game i went to was Northampton - no atmosphere AT ALL.

Giraffe's Son

Dec 3, 2007
I think it was a gun salute (using his hands to make the shape of a pistol) and was aimed at the North Stand and I think it may have even been at 3-2 when that other **** Griffiths scored. Anyway, it got everyone rather incensed, given the precarious state of the club and our season. It totally boiled over and some twats amongst our fans came on the pitch and started having a pop at Orient players (Ray Wilkins) and the ref. Barry Hearn started demanding a points deduction - it was all a bit unsavoury and the catalyst was that **** McGleish.

Barry Hearn actually demanded that we were thrown out of the league. ****.

Ever since then though he has gladly taken our money as we filled his shitty little ground. As well as McGleish, Hearn deserves a good level of abuse too, assuming he is there.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I've jsut been checking Build a Bonfire. Storer seems to think it happened at 4-3, it was a gun salute but he thought it was Griffiths, so who knows.

8 March 1997

Brighton 4 Leyton Orient 4
Ray Wilkins (who scored in the 1983 FA Cup Final) is in Orient's team. Orient are just clear of the clubs in the demotion zone and should be safe, 9 points clear of Brighton on 6 March 1997.
Conditions: overcast, cool.

Kick-off delayed for 5 minutes because of crowd congestion. An insufficient number of turnstiles were opened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-0 Craig Maskell alluded the offside trap and clinically put the ball past Luke Weaver in the Orient goal. 5 mins.

2-0 Craig Maskell headed brilliantly past Luke Weaver from a stunning Paul McDonald cross at speed on a great breakaway from the half-way line. 7 mins.

HT. 2-0

1-2 Carl Griffths poked home from close range after John Humphreys for Brighton failed to get to grips with Orient's young winger Lee Hodges who crossed successfully for the first time in the match. 47 mins.

2-2 Alex Inglethorpe equalised for Orient with a fine header, with a plenty of space allowed by Brighton's sleeping defence. 50 mins.

2-3 Carl Griffths shocked Brighton with a close range shot from a good cross by Justin Channing.

Ian Baird headed in powerfully from Paul McDonald's corner, but the goal was disallowed. 60 mins.

3-3 Ian Baird equalised for Brighton by a far post header after some excellent wing-play from Paul McDonald followed by a superb cross. 74 mins.

3-4 Scott McLeish restored Orient's lead after the ball ran for them in Brighton's box. 75 mins.

Three Brighton supporters ran on to the pitch and became involved in a scuffle with the Orient players. Play was held up for 4 minutes. 75 mins.

Craig Maskell heading for goal with the keeper to beat was sliced down by Danny Chapman for a blatant penalty. 81 mins.

Penalty delayed. Robbie Reinhelt (Brighton) booked and Mark Warren (Orient) is sent off for a second bookable offence.

4-4 Paul McDonald keeps his head and slots the penalty calmly home. 85 mins.

Atmosphere: Fair 6/10 Volatile. Extremely Tense in last 30 mins. Performance: Average 5/10.

Orient played exceptionally well which came as a shock to Brighton supporters. This game was meant to the easiest game before the tense encounters to come.

Referee: Frazor Stretton.

Attendance: 9,298 (largest of the season and the largest in Division 3, despite being the second game in a week). Official attendance may have been revised to 8,655.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brighton are bottom, two points adrift of Doncaster and have played two games more. They are 3 points adrift of Hereford United who have played the same number of games.
The fear amongst the supporters is that the club will be deducted more league points (the FA have an increased points penalty pending) , which will make relegation to the Vauxhall Conference almost certain. However, it is very difficult to prevent the action of an occasional nutter. Barry Hearn's (Orient) protest about the organisation at the ground is allegedly an opening punch to cloud over issues about the behaviour of the Orient players that may have contributed to the incident. More information held.

Carlisle are 5 points clear of Fulham at the top of Division 3, with Wigan in third place 10 points clear of Swansea and these teams are certain to gain the 3 automatic promotion places.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Scott McTwat IS A WANKER.

I'm warming up the vocals for this one too. Didn't realise that its NEARLY the 12th anniversary.... bring it on

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
to be fair, i despise barry hearn more that mcgleish

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I was there in the North Stand when it all kicked off. Actually I always thought it was Carl Griffiths who gave the gun salute. Not a bad case of mistaken identity all these years is it?

For what its worth, McGleish will almost certainly score against us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here