Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Scotland

Scottish independence - what to do?

• Ignore them ( they’re low down the priority list)

Votes: 33 13.3%
  • Do everything possible to keep them in the Union

Votes: 38 15.3%
  • Bye, bye - the EU can subsidise you

Votes: 70 28.2%
  • They deserve another referendum

Votes: 66 26.6%
  • They deserve another referendum if England, Wales and N Ireland can vote on it too

Votes: 29 11.7%
  • Gordon Greer should be Scottish PM with Liam Bridcutt as deputy - fandabidosy!

Votes: 12 4.8%

• Total voters

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
If Scotland leaves the UK will they also consider themselves freed from coming down to England looking for work ? I doubt it - we'll still be the place to go to progress your career.

Personally though I love them all dearly, I get fed up with Jocks taking the best jobs in political journalism - Kuenssberg, Marr, Andrew Neil, Kirsty Wark etc etc - don't see them all scuttling back across the border when independence is declared.

The whole concept of independence is pretty narrow really - they have control of their education and health - is it better ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In my recollection they would not be allowed to retain the £ sterling and, in any event, I seriously doubt that the EU would welcome Scotland with open arms given their current fiscal state.

People I am in touch with up there reckon that Nippy is just using 'Indyref2' as a way of scoring political points and would possibly even shy away from it if it was offered (which I doubt it would be).

An earlier poster suggested that, in the event of an unsuccessful 'Indyref2' that Holyrood should be closed down - I disagree with that in that Wales and Northern Ireland also have devolved assemblies. What I would say is that far better to leave them in Holyrood and seriously reduce their representation at Westminster which is currently hugely disproportionate.

By my rough calculations, with proportional representation for the UK parliament and based on current results, we would looking at Conservatives 302, Labour 222, SNP 27, Lib Dems 80, DUP 5, Plaid Cymru 3 and SDLP 3. Have ignored the others.

We already spend too much time listening to the SNP bleating in Westminster Parliament where they have little or no interest in anything other than their own agenda !

There would be some issues to resolve like currency but the bottom line is Scotland would walk back into the EU and be accepted with open arms. They proved their EU credentials in the 2016 Referendum and their constant rejection of the Brexiting Tories, it would also wind up the English which Scotland and the EU would find very entertaining.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Of course Scotland could leave the UK and have no need to join EU right away, EEA would be a good start and the good place for many business in England

Hard Brexit is the perfect catalyst for independence, no pressure Boris

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
There would be some issues to resolve like currency but the bottom line is Scotland would walk back into the EU and be accepted with open arms. They proved their EU credentials in the 2016 Referendum and their constant rejection of the Brexiting Tories, it would also wind up the English which Scotland and the EU would find very entertaining.

Thanks and despite being Scottish, I was unaware of that and thought there may have been potential budgetary problems !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks and despite being Scottish, I was unaware of that and thought there may have been potential budgetary problems !

there are, their deficit would exclude them from joining the Euro so they'd have to fudge rules. or used as excuse not to insist they join immediatly. to get on track they'd have to cut budget quite a lot or grow the economy an awful lot. they proved nothing in the referendum except desire to remain.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
there are, their deficit would exclude them from joining the Euro so they'd have to fudge rules. or used as excuse not to insist they join immediatly. to get on track they'd have to cut budget quite a lot or grow the economy an awful lot. they proved nothing in the referendum except desire to remain.

Thank you that was more or less exactly what my understanding of the situation was !

Political expedience it was then ! :smile:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Not exactly the truth is it 5 to 7yrs they reckon

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Of course Scotland could leave the UK and have no need to join EU right away, EEA would be a good start and the good place for many business in England

Hard Brexit is the perfect catalyst for independence, no pressure Boris

Yup, a hard Brexit and the effects of that are likely to turn more Scots voters towards voting for independence.
The SNP's strategy needs to engineer a wait until the Brexit effect kicks in.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am sure the Scots would be delighted: Hadrian's Wall is south of the present England/Scotland border. Almost 70 miles south of it at the North Sea.
Not so sure about that. The border counties were pretty much not in favour of Scottish independence in the referendum!

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I think that one thing we have learnt over the last few years is that referenda do not heal disputes. I have a friend (half-Scottish) who was living up there at the time of the last referendum and it was deeply unpleasant for people openly wishing to remain. So I would only wish them to have a second referendum if there was already convincing evidence that they would choose to leave

In the general election(2015) just after the last referendum the SNP got 50% of the vote north of the border. This time it is significantly lower - only 45%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here