Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scotland vs Czech Republic, Poland vs Slovakia, Sweden vs Spain

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Was fearing the worst, looking at the weather down here but seems it will be almost winter conditions there today.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was in Paris on the first day of WC in 1998 when I witnessed something that has stuck in my mind that to me shows the small mindedness of Scotland fans (in fairness I know we can all be small minded in football )

They were wandering en masse down a busy street chanting "we hate England and we hate England" repeatedly, which is fine until you know that they were about to play the opening match of the World Cup against BRAZIL the current World Champions. My first and only thought was WTF? :lolol:

In all fairness, that was probably just to fit in with the locals.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Geography

You share the same island as Palace as well dont you?

There is Sussex and north of that a place of shires called England run by Londoners, and north of Hadrians Wall the Barbarians.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Scotland, Poland and don't care. . .if Bob plays I'm rooting for Spain though.

If Scotland win tonight it makes for a better game on Friday IMO.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Has Andy Murray spouted his words of wisdom yet?

Has he ever?

I used to support all the home nations in competitions, but then I lived in Scotland ofr a few years. Individually, the Scots were great, but collectively their race hatred of the English in football and other matters really puts a person off! Their 'anyone but the English' (ABE) mantra is pretty tedious - certainly it changed my views on supporting Scotland as one of the home nations, and I laughed my head when Ally's Army got dumped out of the WC in '78.

So come on ............. err ...... whoever is playing Scotland!

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
You share the same island as Palace as well dont you?

It's actually a little known fact that Croydon is separated from the rest of Britain by an extremely deep stream of piss and shit, sourced from a pipe shoved directly up Satan's trousers. That's why the M23 stops where it does.

Seriously though, a large part of the reason I always* consider myself to be British rather than English is to reduce the extent to which I'm lumped in with Surrey. Or Hampshire while I'm at it.

*except while watching England play Scotland or Wales at football. Losing to the Scots is embarrassing and the Welsh should all be playing rugby anyway.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Tom hopes that there'll be dancing in the streets of Preston Park tonight...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Jocks not happy with that line up

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I hope Scotland win, they might not like us much but we share the same island.

Said Mackenzie, who lives in Wales :)

Everytime I have been to Scotland, all I have experienced is snidey English sentiment, banging on about how much they hate the Sassenachs...
Get over it, bigoted, idiots living in the past, christ Scotland is full of immigrants, be they Irish, English, Viking, and Saxons taking lands in Bernicia (Berwickshire and East Lothian) They got their name from the irish Scotti tribe that invaded back and forth for centuries between Ireland and Scotland.

Scotland the land of the midges....

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
C'mon Scotland! :clap2:

unnamed (1).jpg

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Scotland currently got a fair bit of quality in their team and the game against Czech Republic should be pretty tight. Ondrej Kudelas ban from the incident against Rangers means that former Brighton player Ales Mateju made the Czech squad but he is unlikely to start the game.

Poland will be facing Slovakia and are expected to win against a defensively strong but offensively dire Slovakia in what should be a two-way or - if Slovakia can get a result tonight - three-way battle for the second place (behind Spain) in the group. Poland got some quality players but how good they are as a team remains to be seen. Jakub Moder is just on the fringe of the starting eleven and its probably 50/50 whether he starts or not. Jude Bellingham could lose his two day old record as the youngest player ever at a Euros, as Poland brought the couple of months younger Kacper Kozlowski to the tournament.

Sweden vs Spain is expected to be a very one-sided game. Both of the teams have had covid issues in the preparation with two key players from Sweden set to miss the game, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic got injured a few weeks before the tournament. Former Brighton trialist Jesper Karlsson is likely to replace Brighton transfer target Mattias Svanberg in the squad but is probably unlikely to be available today. Since Spain had to play an entirely different squad in their last friendly, Sanchez never got the chance to prove himself in a game, and is unlikely to start. Quality wise Spain should win with four or five goals but Swedish grit and experience is more likely to make it just two or three.

What's your view on Alexander Isak Swanny?

He wasn't on my radar before the Euros, but a couple of write-ups (Guardian I think & The Athletic) made him sound like just what we need. Accustomed to blue & white stripes too.

I will add that the write-ups also made it sound like he's probably both too expensive AND would want a higher profile move than to #teamslikeBrighton, but what's your view nonetheless?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here