Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School dinners. What are your memories?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
On a Tuesday at St Mary's primary we would always have stewed steak, mash and carrots. The thing was you had to eat your dinner or you got walloped. I couldn't stand any of it so and you could chew the steak all day but would never actually break it down so I used to throw it under the table. I got caught and smacked round the back of the head by Mrs Dear (ironic surname there) and then stood over whilst eating the carrots which I hated then. Anyway I spewed up all over the floor and was then grabbed by the ear and marched off to the toilets before being walloped again.
Wednesday's were worse.

Are You from Yorkshire by any chance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are You from Yorkshire by any chance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Do you know I actually though of tacking that "and you try telling " bit on the end but realised just in time. Trust me it was dreadful really. I got walloped on my first day at school for crying - remember there was no nursery introduction for 3 to 4 year olds then so it was pretty scary - by a dinner lady. My sister who was 9 came running over and told her to stop slapping me as it was my first day. She apologised and said " Oh I sorry, because he's tall I thought he was 6 or 7.
Scarred ? I went back to work there 30 years later and being a friend of the head told him the stories. He helped me through it.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
seeing its popular the recipe here....
http://bakinglady.webs.com/apps/blog/show/1955239-recipe-butterscotch-tart

butterscotch%20tart%20004.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Favourite meal:

Mincebeef with triangles of fried bread, mashed potato and peas.

Treacle pudding and custard.

I have a vague memory of some white chicken based dish which came with a triangle of fried bread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Semolina with rose hip syrup.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just going to post the same. Can you still buy rose hip syrup?

No idea. I'd never heard of it, or seen it, before or after my junior school. I could have been a school invention/exclusive for all I know. Weird? Has anyone every had rose hip syrup outside of school?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just going to post the same. Can you still buy rose hip syrup?

Yup....loads of places online and sometimes in Waitrose. Used in cooking, and also as a herbal remedy (arthritis ?). Hugh Fearnley-Whatsisface made some on one of his programmes so there is probably a recipe online somewhere

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My abiding memory at age 7 or 8 is being told I had to eat cabbage while the teacher stood over me despite having warned her it made me sick.
I promptly vomited all down her dress.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The food at my Primary School was disgusting, vile and bordering dangerous with radioactive custard and fag ash tapioca.
The facilities were filthy and should have been shut down by the health inspector if you went into the kitchen you had to wipe your feet on the way out.
The staff were rude and took great pleasure in ridiculing the kids and generally joining in with the bullying started by some of the older kids.
The best thing about it was the bell to end lunchtime even though you knew you had maths next lesson.
How the lady cook that ran the kitchen was allowed anywhere near food was astounding as she had no idea on basic cooking or cleanliness and probably gave the kids lifelong gastric ailments.
So I say to that cook now "sorry Mum, but I know in my heart that you tried your best, you should be ashamed, but I still love you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here