Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School closures

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Priory school, Lewes

Status 11/01/2010
Provided there is no further snow overnight, Priory School will be open to Years 9, 10 and 11 at 9.30 am on Monday 11 January and will remain closed to Years 7 and 8. Work for Year 7 and 8 students is available from the school website

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BTW anyone read the front of the Sunday Telegraph where councils are advised NOT to grit as if they do and someone falls over they are legally liable!!!!

this is a myth and its a shame that the Tory graph is perpetuating it. think about it logically, surely the council is just as liable if you slip on untreated road they should be maintaining?

schools shut is ridiculous, apparently many schools in London are open but the kids cant use the playground. solved.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Anything for a day off, when will teachers realise there is big wide world out there - no wonder our kids are failing if they are being taught by a load of buffoons.

My girlfriend works bloody hard as a teacher. In fact this week she has probably worked well over 70 hours including this weekend marking books and preparing for offsted. Teachers are in the real world. If you think its easy try it? Teachers not only have to teach, they also have to look after the kids. Some of the kids parents in her school are junkies and the poor kids don't even get a proper meal. Some of the kids need to look after the parents because they are seriously ill. Some of the kids are getting bullied. My girlfriend is also there to help and talk to these kids. So if this is not the real world what is?

Some of the teachers now provide a breakfast club, so kids can get fed in the morning because the arsehole parents dont care for their kids. They spend their own time and money providing food? Would you do this?

Last edited:

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
My girlfriend works bloody hard as a teacher. In fact this week she has probably worked well over 70 hours including this weekend marking books and preparing for offsted. Teachers are in the real world. If you think its easy try it? Teachers not only have to teach, they also have to look after the kids. Some of the kids parents in her school are junkies and the poor kids don't even get a proper meal. Some of the kids need to look after the parents because they are seriously ill. Some of the kids are getting bullied. My girlfriend is also there to help and talk to these kids. So if this is not the real world what is?

Some of the teachers now provide a breakfast club, so kids can get fed in the morning because the arsehole parents dont care for their kids. They spend their own time and money providing food? Would you do this?

Top post.

If you have kids who go to Mile Oak School, its been shut tomorrow due to "health and safety concerns" as the playground and pavements around are still snowbound.

REDICULOUS decision from Brighton and Hove Unitarty Authority as they are shit scared some little darling will fall over and the parents will sue the arse off the council.
It's not the Council who take a decision to open or close a school - it's the school itself.

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
Anything for a day off, when will teachers realise there is big wide world out there - no wonder our kids are failing if they are being taught by a load of buffoons.

Sorry i tend not to get involved in bitching on this forum but you've steamed my kettle here. Have you done the 4/5 years at uni to be a teacher? As the other poster said teachers work harder then most for very little money.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's not the Council who take a decision to open or close a school - it's the school itself.

I beg to differ....schools have taken advice from the LEA.

Dec 13, 2009
Closures so far......

Battle and Langton C of E Primary
Bevendean Primary closed this morning but will open for years Reception,1 & 2 at 1.10; years 3-6 at 1.25
(afternoon nursery session as usual)
Cardinal Newman, Hove - closed except for exams
Chailey Heritage Nursery
Chailey Secondary, open to years 10 and 11 ONLY
Court Meadow School, Cuckfield
Dallington Church of England Primary School
Davison High Schools for Girls in Worthing will open ONLY for staff and year 11 from 10.45
Etchingham Church of England Primary
Falmer High School open ONLY to staff and year 11
Grovelands Community School
Helenswood Lower School closed - Upper School is open
Hillcrest School - open to years 10 & 11 ONLY
Hillside School - opening at 10
Hollycombe Primary, West Sussex
Jeanne Saunders Centre, Hove
Kingsley Primary, Horsham
Mayfield Church of England Primary
Mile Oak School Primary, Portslade
Newick House School, Burgess Hill only open between 10 and 2.45
Newlands School and Nursery, Seaford
Oakwood School
Oak Grove College Worthing (but staff should try to get in)
Patcham High School closed except for year 11 students who should be in between 10 & 2
Portslade Community College, main site closed but Sixth Form site open for exams
Queen Elizabeth 2nd Special School, Horsham
Rydon College closed but will look after pupils who's parents need assistance
Sedlescombe C of E Primary
Sheepsetting Pre School, Heathfield
Silverdale Primary School, St Leonards on Sea - due to heating problems
St Joseph's Brighton
Sussex Coast College - Statin Plaza and London Road Open as Usual; Archery Road open at noon
Sussex Downs College - open for examination students but closed to all others
Steyning Grammar School; Church Street Site CLOSED, Shooting Field OPEN
Uckfied Community College - open to year's 11,12,13 only
Warden Park, Cuckfield closed to year 10 - open to all others

:clap2:

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton

I'm sure she does work bloody hard and I take my hat off to her – in return I could go into the hours I work and the money and effort I put back into society but that’s just tit for tat.

The reason I do not believe teachers live in the real world is that If I was running a school, particularly one that serves a local community I would have an action plan for when it snows, for a start parents would be asked if they could come in and clear the snow in these rare occurrences - I would have the right tools and a collection of 20 or so dads I'm sure would clear it easily.

The school could then be opened and the kids made to walk to school – the parents want them there! Some kids have not been back for a month due to the weather!

In response to the question of would I mind being branded lazy for not going in when my office is closed, it simply wouldn't happen as my firm has contingency plans in place (like all real world commercial companies) - it just takes a bit of forward thinking and common sense – I’m sure teachers hate getting behind with the work but how about instead of coming onto a football message board to moan about it, do something pro-active and put a plan in place.

Maybe I look at things too simplistically?

I beg to differ....schools have taken advice from the LEA.
And the advice today from Brighton & Hove City Council is that the decision rests with the school, taking into account all local circumstances, including whether staff can get in, whether pupils can get in and whether the site is safe.

Which is why the organisation that I work for was running school transport services this morning to get pupils into a school in North Portslade.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not entirely, i think thats how things used to be done (i recall my dad help clear the lane to my primary school, as well as snowdrifts across the main road near our house). but now you would have to be vetted, questions would have been asked about wasting tax payers money on shovels three year ago, and only trained people would be able to assist.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I'm sure she does work bloody hard and I take my hat off to her – in return I could go into the hours I work and the money and effort I put back into society but that’s just tit for tat.

The reason I do not believe teachers live in the real world is that If I was running a school, particularly one that serves a local community I would have an action plan for when it snows, for a start parents would be asked if they could come in and clear the snow in these rare occurrences - I would have the right tools and a collection of 20 or so dads I'm sure would clear it easily.

The school could then be opened and the kids made to walk to school – the parents want them there! Some kids have not been back for a month due to the weather!

In response to the question of would I mind being branded lazy for not going in when my office is closed, it simply wouldn't happen as my firm has contingency plans in place (like all real world commercial companies) - it just takes a bit of forward thinking and common sense – I’m sure teachers hate getting behind with the work but how about instead of coming onto a football message board to moan about it, do something pro-active and put a plan in place.

Ok fair point. So you clear the grounds of snow. Your school has 600 pupils and only half the teachers turn up, do you expect teachers to take 2 or 3 classes each? I'm afraid its not just a case of setting them work to do. In reality each class will have 2-3 pupils that will constantly cause a disruption and if your not careful the whole class can get out of control.

You don't understand the amount of pressure some teachers are under, this is why people leave the profession. Its very easy to judge someones job, but you need to experience living with a teacher to understand 1st hand what goes on. Again its easy to say, get another job. But people go in to teaching to make a difference, they don't go in to school to make a profit.

My girlfriend started work at 7:30am this morning and will finish at 4:30pm. However when she gets back home she will have another 2-3 hours of work to do. These will be marking books and lesson planning. If you dont get any free lessons in the day, and you need to teach, how do you mark books and lesson plan, the answer is you cant so this works needs to be bought home.

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

Yes you are looking into things too simplistically.

1. Since the advent of choice a number of parents do not send their kids to local schools.
2. In Brighton this is exacerbated by the lottery system to fill places in junior schools.
3. Also in Brighton at Secondary level the schools have been located in a specific geographical position for sometime; in Brighton 3 of the 5 state schools are in the Preston and Patcham area the other two on the fringes, Falmer and Longhill; in Hove both state schools are located in Hangleton with a faith school a mile down the road on the Old Shoreham Road. Net result is a lot of travelling which becomes more difficult if buses cannot access the sites. Are you going to make people walk from Bevendean or Kemp Town to Preston Park? How many on here were up in arms when it is was mooted that the average football fan wouldn't have a problem walking from Brighton station to Sheepcote Valley?
4. Unlike an office, schools are often a series of separate buildings often requiring outside access, and that isn't even including places such as Hove Park which has two separate campuses for their upper and lower schools which teachers are required to shuttle back and forth from. It is not so much the state of the playgrounds and playing fields that can cause the problem but the moving of large numbers of kids between lessons from one block to another and whether the school has the ability to keep this access safe and free from ice. It is one thing clearing the snow another to keep it from turning into an ice rink the next day.

Like all organisations most staff will do their best to get in, others will decide its too dangerous or physically not possible and a few will skive, teachers are no different. So your twattish comment in your original post is a load of bollocks - and for the record I spent 20 years working in the 'real' world before I became a teacher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here