Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scarborough FC's ground is looking very sad

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Ah the McCain Stadium, the famous 'Theatre of Chips'. Didn't they try to sell it to clear their debts only to find there was some sort of restrictive covenant on it that said it had to be used for sport?

Interestingly after the demise of the original Scarborough FC TWO teams got formed from the ashes: Scarborough Athletic and Scarborough Town. I wonder what the story there is?

Athletic is the true phoenix. Town don't have a league in which to play as the Northern Counties East League annulled their membership because of delays in planning permission.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
That's very sad when you see a football ground going to pot, I remember going to The Walkers Stadium and seeing the sad sight of Filbert Street's Big stand getting demolished. Much prefered Filbert Street and also brings back memories of when the cherished Goldstone was being demolished.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Anyone else go to an evening away game at Scarborough - late 90s?

Think we lost 2-1 haviong been one nil up. No idea who scored our goal.

One of their goals was controversial with our keeper lying poleaxed on the ground (Ormerod?).

Hope someone else can fill in the gaps!

Taxi

Jul 10, 2003
Littlehampton

One of their goals was controversial with our keeper lying poleaxed on the ground (Ormerod?).

Was it Kerry Mayo who scored for us? It was Ormerod who was on the floor when Scarborough scored their winner.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I was at that, the only thing I remember is their fans getting gobby in the terrace to our right, gold tap fittings in the toilet, a proper dodgy boozer and chips on the beach

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Unless I'm mistaken, they were the team that got relegated instead of Carlisle, when Jimmy Glass (the goalkeeper) scored that 96th minute Carlisle winner.

I think Scarborough were already celebrating in their game, thinking Carlisle were down instead of them.

Shame really. I went on a school trip up there when I was about ten, and I always quite liked the place. Miles better than other crappy Northern seaside towns like Skeggy. Never got to go to the football ground.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I saw their first game in the football league in 1987, against Wolves - a 2-2 draw.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I saw their first game in the football league in 1987, against Wolves - a 2-2 draw.

Was that where Wolves fans got on the roof of the stand, and one fell through on to the terrace? ???

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't remember anything about the game itself now - but it was a long time ago..... I used to have the programme but can't find it now.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I was definitely there but don't remember anything about the game, other than that it was against Wolves and there were lots of them. I might still be concussed.....

Football supporter falling through roof [Archive] - Sheffield Forum

As a superb postscript, it was reported that despite a fall of 20 feet, the man discharged himself from hospital later that day. Well, would you hang around for long under those circumstances?"

Oh well, at least he lived to see another day. :)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Cheers. :(

Like the logo, decent seagull and motto

2601584075_5a77f83891.jpg

Being a bit of a magpie myself I can't believe stuff like that and some of the other stuff pictured on that weblink has been left untouched. Classic footy memorabilia - I'd be straight in there removing anything worth taking before the bulldozers move in. Was in Swansea for a day over the summer and walked past the weed-strewn Vetch, although there was no way to get in. Disused footy stadia are a source of fascination for Cheeky Monkey.

img_7293-pitch.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes they do, they groundshare with Bridlington and play in the Northern Counties League

My eldests Godfather is a Scarborough STH holder and lives in Didcot so very loyal and watches every game home or away.

sammy g

I remember them beating us at Priestfield ( at least I think was them), one of my lowest Albion memories, particularly as their keeper ended the game by abusing us by pointing out how crap we were. I then proceeded to complain like an idiot to the Police whilst they video'd my rant, probably to play it back at the station to much amusement by all that watched. That was the last time I drank Vodka for my pre-match tipple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here