Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scarborough FC

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

D

Deleted User X18H

Jack Dineen two league appearences for them in 1993 and still Hangletons only professional footballer

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Anyone ever met a Scarborough fan? I actually used to live in digs with one in my STEWDENT days. Oh well. :(

It does have to be said, they always did have shit support, even struggling to get 1,000 in their league days.

My old next door neighbours are (were) Scarborough fans. They used to travel to nearly every home game despite living 300 odd miles away, that's serious dedication. God knows what they will do now, maybe follow the Diddymen of Didcot Town FC.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
A disgrace that this has happened, all for the sake of what one Premiership player earns in less than a year. Had some good weekends up there, remember Hart's winner and Mintons free kick?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I went to Scarborough on a Friday night. Followed a caravan convention heading to Filey on the way up and arrived just before half time. We were 1-0 up and as we walked in Mark Ormerod got flattened by a borough forward and laid unconcious for about 2 minutes while they attacked again and eventually scored in the empty net.

Seemed an Ok place apart from the twats in an array of Premiership shirts pretending they wanted to get in amongst us and have a fight. Cracking away end if I remember rightly, the best stand in the place.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Junior's god parents are massive Scarborough Fans who follow them all over the country.

This is terrible news

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Chip away at the foundations, and eventually but quite certainly, the house will fall down.

The Premier League will gradually have less and less feeder Leagues to develop players, whether home players or overseas.

The National sides will deteriorate, but the Premier League wil thrive for as long as funny money comes from television or Russia.

However, the prospect of ever being relegated will before long lead them to lift the drawbridge, and stick with whatever at that time is regarded as the big 20 (or 18 or ...).

Gradually they will become like American soccer is now, and slide off into Harlem Globetrotters.

Meanwhile we will be watching Lewes or Halifax or Accrington Stanley or ... any suggestions?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I went to Scarborough on a Friday night. Followed a caravan convention heading to Filey on the way up and arrived just before half time. We were 1-0 up and as we walked in Mark Ormerod got flattened by a borough forward and laid unconcious for about 2 minutes while they attacked again and eventually scored in the empty net.

Seemed an Ok place apart from the twats in an array of Premiership shirts pretending they wanted to get in amongst us and have a fight. Cracking away end if I remember rightly, the best stand in the place.

That goal is one of the great injustices of all time (in Albion terms I mean). Was a fine place to go to a football match. 1879-2007 - that's a long time. I suppose if the covenant can't be lifted then the new Scarborough can always play at the McCain - or is that wishful thinking?

I remember the FA Cup game because one of the Boro fans had a huge handbell and didn't stop ringing it all game. Imagine getting that in a stadium now!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Now meet Scarborough Athletic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/6237112.stm
Scarborough Football Club, which went bust last week, is to be reborn under the name Scarborough Athletic.

The Seadog Trust, a supporters' group which will run the club, was meeting Northern Counties East League officials to finalise the arrangement on Monday.

They were meeting at Bridlington Town's Queensgate ground, which the new club hopes to share in the 2007/2008 season.

Trust chairman Simon Cope said: "This is the start of the next chapter in the history of football in Scarborough."

The former Football League club was wound up at Leeds High Court last Wednesday in the face of mounting debts which included £820,000 owed to the Inland Revenue.

'Heart of community'

Mr Cope said: "It is time now to put the past behind us.

"All of us at Seadog Trust would like to express their thanks to Ian Scobbie [club chairman] for his efforts to save Scarborough FC...but we feel that a new club owned by fans is the best, if not only way forward.

"Now more than ever we would urge football supporters in Scarborough to join the trust and have their say in the development of Scarborough Athletic.

"We, the football fans of Scarborough, are in a position to create a football club which stands at the heart of the town's community."

He said the trust was now focusing on creating a team for the 2007/2008 season and had drawn up a shortlist of managerial candidates who would be contacted "over the coming days".

Mr Cope said: "Although nothing concrete has yet been confirmed we hope to be holding trials at some stage to give the football players of the community every chance to be part of a true community club."

The trust is to host an open forum for fans at the St Nicholas Hotel in Scarborough at 2000 BST on Thursday.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
I've never been to Scarbrough, but this is a total shame to football. Hopefully they will reform and join the same league Fc Manchester were in last season.

Not really possible as Scarborough is the wrong side of country from Manchester. However looks like they will be joining North East Counties league, home to such luminaries as Pontefract Collieries and Lincoln Moorland Railway FC. Also home to another reformed club, Emley. Remember when they played West Ham in the cup?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here