Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Say your goodbyes to free health care...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree , hardly a neutral news source . Scaremongering from the OP. Nothing more . I agree the fact the OP even follows this news source says it all really . File under the bin .

Did you skip over post 17 which shows it being reported from the UK House of Commons?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The NHS is a significant strain on the nation that is set to get much worse. Bailing out this failing business over many year's is just suicidal, is it not?
The time is right to move it on. Now we have extra hospitals like the Nightingale hospitals this must be a time to sell it. This country has changed.

The Nightingale hospitals have already closed, unused.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just my opinion. You started the thread suggesting 'free' was important to you.
Nothing is 'free' in life, youngster seem to want everything handed to them on a plate.

Fair enough, I see this differently.
Sorry but anyone under 50 I would classify as a youngster, I am a bit old fashioned I suppose.
I must get out to walk my dog, as he is dribbling all over my trousers.

Seeing as you consider anyone under 50 as a youngster it's a somewhat ironic statement given that the vast majority of free healthcare use is by your 'not youngsters' whilst the majority of funding comes from your 'youngsters' :facepalm:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Those people that voted for Brexit because they didn't like Polish and Spanish nurses are going to be apoplectic when they see all the Pakistanis who come in to replace them on the cheap.

Please provide evidence or a citation for this claptrap post.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/02/how-the-uk-voted-on-brexit-and-why-a-refresher/

One third (33%) said the main reason was that leaving “offered the best chance for the UK to regain control over immigration and its own borders.”

You equate wanting to full control over immigration and borders with not liking Polish and Spanish nurses ? Either you're drunk, had too much sun or a just a tad simple.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
In another betrayal by the Conservative government they have voted down a clause protecting the NHS from being on the table in any future trade negotiations, amongst other clauses that would have protected our NHS.

Another concern that was written off as “project fear” has now come to pass.

If you ain’t worried now, you ain’t paying attention.

https://evolvepolitics.com/breaking...UQcQUlSrldnnv7LskC2vJP4MadjyKwpsVqNwQlb1ITa8o

For a "truly independent" news outlet do you not find it just a tiny bit left wing biased?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do you know what, my qualifications are in other areas? Similarly, I don't tell Potter to play 4-5-1 or 4-4-2.

As Clint Eastwood once said, 'A man's gotta know his limitations'.

I shall leave that to someone more versed in the healthcare budgeting field. In the same way, I would not expect someone highly trained and experienced in such a role to explain the intricacies of my vocation to me.

Something DOES need to change, and if it needs a fresh set of learned eyes to change it, streamline it and make it more efficient then so be it.

Out of interest, what areas are your expertise and qualifications in, and has it ever come up on NSC ?

I quite understand if you think that is personal and would prefer not to say :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For a "truly independent" news outlet do you not find it just a tiny bit left wing biased?

to be fair, I don't really know the publication. I was sent a link, the story checked out, I posted it. I should have used the BBC. It's a shame because I think people like Baker Lite, Westdene Seagull and Live by The Sea would definitely have agreed with me if I'd not used that particular source :lolol::lolol:

Anyway, feel free to toss this thread into the Gammon Pit. The usual right wing numpties have turned up and ruined it. They remind me sometimes of that recent footage of the anti BLM protestors who stormed over and started harassing the normal folk who were having a picnic. They can't interact on an adult level so they just "smash it up".

Bin it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You equate wanting to full control over immigration and borders with not liking Polish and Spanish nurses ? Either you're drunk, had too much sun or a just a tad simple.
I suspect he's none of those things. Is he really saying that ALL people who want full control over immigration and borders all hate Polish and Spanish nurses? No. But all of the bigots in question would have masked their intolerance and racism by saying Brexit was about taking back control of our borders.

I know you're not racist or intolerant and felt we had lost control over our borders, but I'm afraid there are other people who say they feel the same way and they most certainly ARE.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
to be fair, I don't really know the publication. I was sent a link, the story checked out, I posted it. I should have used the BBC. It's a shame because I think people like Baker Lite, Westdene Seagull and Live by The Sea would definitely have agreed with me if I'd not used that particular source :lolol::lolol:

I think I’m probably more likely to volunteer to guide my dad into my mum than agree with anything a hysterical fanny like you says.

You shambles of a man.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think I’m probably more likely to volunteer to guide my dad into my mum than agree with anything a hysterical fanny like you says.

You shambles of a man.

Yes, that was rather my point.

You have also proved another point I made earlier. To the bear pit with it, the Herberts have turned up and messed it up for everyone. As per. :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What is your opinion on the price of new products post EU, and outside the EMEA? My view, put briefly, is that the UK will become a second tier nation for NDA’s and the like. A separate and a later submission equals a significant extra cost which needs to be recouped somehow. There’s also the EU law case regarding Alpha Pharma which, although EU nations negotiate prices separately, prevents excessive pricing across the bloc. The UK will lose this as well and won’t have the collective might of the biggest trading area in the world to exercise leverage in price negotiations.

It’s good news for drug companies, which the U.K. has many, not so good for patients wanting new and novel products though.

I read your posts with much interest, and also learn a lot from them, so I’m interested to know your thoughts on this matter.

Cheers, HT. Well, like most things Brexit, nobody knows yet. For now I am largely in the dark. But I agree with your concerns.

If we are smart we will simply attach our wagon to the EU and rubber stamp whatever is approved there. However....

Boris has been signaling that we will not follow the EU and will do our own thing, on all things, no matter how silly this is. As always with him it will be a political decision based on what he can get away with, followed by backtracking when the inevitable price to pay becomes too much to bear.

One unknown is the extent to which the EU plays ball with us. Will they give us access to their regulatory decision making process (on new drugs, biologics, devices)? Probably not. So we will have to recapitulate their process or operate blind.

My mate's missus works for EMEA. She was based in docklands. Before shutdown she was working in Belgium (or Holland - forget which - think it was Brussels) and coming home to London at the weekends. I haven't the heart to ask him if she still has a job.

An avoidable mess....but all the while so many are staring at the imaginary sunny uplands it may be some time before we see how much shit has hit how many fans.

I'm in cahoots with a small company developing a drug right now so any changes in the wind and I'll post on it. We have a patent filed in the US, EU and some other jurisdictions. Not sure we have bothered with the UK yet - because we are still effectively in the EU....

All the best. :thumbsup:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Never been free has it?

Don't we pay for it already?

Individuals who have contracted Covid19 and needed to be hospitalised for some this included ventilators intensive care doctors nurses medication X-rays scans accomidation food Covid tests family support then ongoing care through social services local GP all this is free at the point of use the cost is a shared responsibility between every tax payer.

While in the USA you need health care insurance you are only responsible for the funding of your own health no one else's this is assuming that you can afford to pay it.

I was reading a couple of days ago about a chap in the USA who needed all the treatment listed above and received a bill upon his discharge from hospital of $1 million

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
Similar to the PFI stuff in the 90s, I'll make a judgement when/if something changes. Can't see it in my lifetime. The present business model is unsustainable with increasing population and longer life expectancy with less folks paying into the system, so something needs to change sometime.

At the risk of repeating myself. Taxation doesnt fund government expenditure, so yes we can `afford` the health service and probably a better one too. The only limit is the overheating of the economy signalled by inflation. But that is a long way from happening, bearing in mind the under use of real resources in our economy.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The NHS is a significant strain on the nation that is set to get much worse. Bailing out this failing business over many year's is just suicidal, is it not?
The time is right to move it on. Now we have extra hospitals like the Nightingale hospitals this must be a time to sell it. This country has changed.

It isn’t, or shouldn’t be considered as a business. We might need to find other ways to work things, but things work in other European countries. What we don’t want is something where people don’t get treated because they can’t afford

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Out of interest, what areas are your expertise and qualifications in, and has it ever come up on NSC ?

I quite understand if you think that is personal and would prefer not to say :thumbsup:

The murky world of finance. Bit of experience home and abroad, but there's always space for learning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here