Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saxondale

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Its not very good is it. I am quite gutted, was really hoping it would be good.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Agree, very disappointing. Worse than that a bloke at work is trying to convince everyone (and himself) that it's the funniest thing on television and is already quoting lines.

He peaked with Partridge which I think is one of the most intelligently observed pieces of comedy I've ever seen.

It's his "Ronnie Barker's Porridge" and I hope the film gets made. I hear that it has been delayed because the original script had an "Al Queda hijack" plot, and was deemed too offensive (well its a rumour)

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
clapham_gull said:
Agree, very disappointing. Worse than that a bloke at work is trying to convince everyone (and himself) that it's the funniest thing on television and is already quoting lines.

He peaked with Partridge which I think is one of the most intelligently observed pieces of comedy I've ever seen.

It's his "Ronnie Barker's Porridge" and I hope the film gets made. I hear that it has been delayed because the original script had an "Al Queda hijack" plot, and was deemed too offensive (well its a rumour)

I heard the same, which is a shame because that already sounds funnier than Saxondale.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Dick Knights Mum said:
Well I enjoyed it. The Jeremy Clarkson exchanges were cringingly funny - and a great line to finish.

I actually felt that the Clarkson stuff was too obvious and easy. It's was kind of like a switch whereby this idiot celebrity (Partridge) is essentially niggled by the day to day (well observed) oddness of everyday life whereas now this ordinary man (Saxondale) was irritated by an obvious stereotype of a certain celebrity. It didn't have the subtleness or wit of Partridge, it just feels like a bit of a poor man's Office rip off to me.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But he does not see himself as an ordinary man. He feeds off his past associations with celebrity and is not in awe of current celebrity - that is why the Calrkson bit worked for me. It was a window into a world that I do not understand or like and pandered to all my prejudices of what those people could be like.

There is enough there for me to stick with it.

I must say that I do not tend to apply the analysis to these programmes that you do ............................. I should give them more thought.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm quite enjoying it, its not the best thing I've ever seen but entertaining enough.

As DKM says, I tend to watch it as a bit of light entertainment on a MOnday evening, rather than with a view to writing an essay about it at school/on NSC the next day

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Some tired, re-hashed humour in there - none more so than the Sid Vicious gag. Give me 'Cooghan's Run' or Paul/Pauline Calf anyday.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The only reason that I was thinking a bit more about it is because we were discussing its merits, so thats why I was pulling it apart a bit.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
being a certified petrolheaded old rocker a 'stang 351 and Jethro Tull makes it better viewing than anything else on offer

unless I was down the workshop with 'Free Live' on :rolleyes:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
and the view from the oppostite lounge chair is I think its boring...I've never liked cringe comedy and not really enjoying Saxondale, doesn't make me laugh or think... I just fall asleep....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
tedebear said:
and the view from the oppostite lounge chair is I think its boring...I've never liked cringe comedy and not really enjoying Saxondale, doesn't make me laugh or think... I just fall asleep....

to be fair to MR Coogan anything on TV makes you fall asleep ;)
if not asleep then just a light coma, if for example any celebrity type crap happens to come on and you can't reach the buttons in time :eek:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
zefarelly said:
to be fair to MR Coogan anything on TV makes you fall asleep ;)
if not asleep then just a light coma, if for example any celebrity type crap happens to come on and you can't reach the buttons in time :eek:

Utter tosh! :ohmy:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I'm shocked and heartbroken by this thread. I think Saxondale is absolute class, classic Coogan. You can't make the man flail under the weight of Partridge for the rest of eternity - considered on its own merits, Saxondale is brilliant.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Benny Zamora said:
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I'm shocked and heartbroken by this thread. I think Saxondale is absolute class, classic Coogan. You can't make the man flail under the weight of Partridge for the rest of eternity - considered on its own merits, Saxondale is brilliant.

I would say Phoenix Nights, The Office, Spaced, Mighty Boosh, Peep Show, League of Gentlemen and I am not an Animal are all better than Saxondale. It raised two smiles off me all episode. I just think the biggest problem is the Saxondale character, he's not well defined enough or interesting enough to create decent comic situations around.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I think some of those are on a par with Saxondale, but of course (dons Saxondale tone) it's a subjective thing. Totally disagree with you about Saxondale not being defined enough. It probably boils down to what you look for - I'm easily pleased by it because I find immense relief in Coogan's cynical genius amongst the sea of crappy American comedies and self-important trash swamping television.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Benny Zamora said:
I think some of those are on a par with Saxondale, but of course (dons Saxondale tone) it's a subjective thing. Totally disagree with you about Saxondale not being defined enough. It probably boils down to what you look for - I'm easily pleased by it because I find immense relief in Coogan's cynical genius amongst the sea of crappy American comedies and self-important trash swamping television.

I was wrong in what I said. To correct myself I think the idea of the character is potentially great but the writing of the character and his lines are lazy.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Mind you saying that I don't particularly like Knowing Me Knowing You. However I'm Alan Partridge (both series) are genius.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Used to Love partridge. Excellent. Trouble is Cooghan cannot rid of partridge. You can see bits of Partridge in Saxondale. I

I reckon he just say sod it and do another series of partridge.

Remember the one where he is on the canal boat doing that commercial and those farmers shout out "Partridge you wanker" for some reason this had me in stitches for hours.

And then they drop the Cow on him and he gets stuck

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here