Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Save the St James 1!

St James' Park is a landmark, not just a stadium. The name belongs to the whole city of Newcastle, not just the football club.

It's a station on the Tyne and Wear Metro, ffs.

Metro_Map_3rd_A4.jpg

Even The Goldstone survived as a name.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Am I alone in not giving a flying f*** what a football stadium is called - even ours? Supporters of a team rarely use the actual the name of the ground anyway. :shrug:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
What a load of crap. Ashley has all the looks of a bloke sat in the stand thinking "where did it all go right?" The very idea that this is down to Ashley's careful football strategy is ridiculous. Newcastle are having a lucky run and punching way above their weight. The Magpies are just a plaything to Ashley and something he would have been rid of quite happily 24 months ago. He is not interested in the football supporters of the North East or what it means long-term to them. He is interested in short-term gain. If a merger with Sunderland was on the cards and it would make him money then I could see Ashley being the last person to turn it down.

Exactly. Ashley's been looking to flog the club for years it's just that no one's daft enough to pay what he wants. The Carroll sale shows how stupid Liverpool are not how clever Ashley is. And who knows how financially stable NUFC are?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
What a load of crap. Ashley has all the looks of a bloke sat in the stand thinking "where did it all go right?" The very idea that this is down to Ashley's careful football strategy is ridiculous. Newcastle are having a lucky run and punching way above their weight. The Magpies are just a plaything to Ashley and something he would have been rid of quite happily 24 months ago. He is not interested in the football supporters of the North East or what it means long-term to them. He is interested in short-term gain. If a merger with Sunderland was on the cards and it would make him money then I could see Ashley being the last person to turn it down.

This.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Not only that, it's a reference to local craft-industry not just the name of a shop like Newcastle's. Completely different.

Also just as the players come out of the tunnel there is a sign saying "in to the light" which pays homage to the fact that the ground is built on an old colliery, and all mackems should always remember the roots, which is not in a pound shop run by a man that is a Spurs fan

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Although the Stadium of Light was a brand new stadium, rather than a renamed Roker Park, which somehow makes it more palatable.[/.QUOTE]
No it doesn't - Sunderland ripped-off the name from Benfica. They could at least have come up with something original

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't get this to be honest. I have no problems with naming rights. Stopping calling it St James' Park doesn't take the history away. Just like if Alan Shearer changed his name to Boring MOTD Pundit 4 they would still remember everything he's done for Newcastle.

Out of interest though as an aside, how many call The Amex Stadium Falmer on here?

Sent by the power of Gus' tactical genius

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here