Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday Football at 3pm.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Is it just me or are you getting pissed off with all the changes to fixture dates, times, ect.

Football should always be played on a Saturday at 3pm. I know TV puts loads of money into sport but should they be able to dictate when games are played to suit the arm chair viewers.

I may be wrong but I'm sure a mate of mine who is a Chelsea season ticket holder said they only played four Saturday 3pm home games last season. Sport is my church and the church never changes from a Sunday morning so why all the continous changes to football start dates and times at the inconvenience of those who want to attend.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
A mixed response from me.

I took a punt on a season ticket for my 4 year old this year. Attending games with him holds many delights but I also enjoy the chance to take a mate instead and have a few beers - so some switches away from Saturday 3pm work quite well (although I do feel terribly guilty at the moment when he comes bounding up to me singing his songs and asking when the next match is... :( )

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Who would have thought that from the 27th August there would be just one game before the end of March when we wouldn't finish a home game before dark - and even that games on a Sunday

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think it'll affect ST renewal rates and put odd away fans off travelling, due to the repeatedly late notice given. People have an economic life outside of football, and need to pre-book discount trains, arrange weekends away, holidays etc. on the strength of the fixture list. Seems to me there won't be an endless supply of punters happy to be jerked around with short notice rearranged fixtures. Club may gain in the short term, but may lose out in the longer term.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Living 75 miles away, with 2 school age kids, evening games are difficult. My kids are missing more games than they should be because of the changes. Shame.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As Arkwright says TV (okay mainly Sky) puts a lot of money into the game and unfortunately that means they can call the shots. Personally I'm beginning to wonder if this cash is really worth it ? Without the TV money their would be far more British players in the Premier League and I can't see how it would badly effect the Championship and all leagues below greatly (given that TV revenue would have to be phased out over a period of say three years to allow teams to adjust their salary ceiling.

Won't happen though, too many clubs are PLCs and thus those who are wouldn't wear it although a lot of PLC clubs have pretty tragic debts.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It is only the West Ham game that was moved by Sky. Tonight was moved because of the University and Sky afterwards decided to televise it, I believe.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Fans want their clubs to get rich and buy great players.

Being on TV/Sky brings this.

Anyway, the vast majority of games ARE at 3pm on a sat. It's usually only televised games (and the bigger/more successful clubs will get this) that are outside this time (barring midweek filling fixtures, club requests and international clashes etc.).

There's one game tonight (no idea who's playing though :D) and of the games tomorrow there are
PL
12:45 - 1
15:00 - 6
17:45 - 1
Sunday - 1

CS
15:00 - 9
17:15 - 1
Sunday - 1

L1
15:00 - 12

L2
15:00 - 12

So, of this weekends games, 39 out of 45 are all at 3pm.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Yes if you look at the lower leagues the kick off's are Saturday 3pm (and rightly so).

Are next home games are:
Leeds - Friday night - Changed from a Saturday.
Palace - Tuesday night - due to police.
Hull - Saturday - 5.30 - Changed due to University.
West Ham - Monday night - Changed from a Satutrday.
Barnsley - Sunday 3.00 - Changed from a Saturday.
Coventry - Saturday 3.00 - Hoooooooorah. 26th November.

I think my point is we all work longer hours and getting time off is hard but to keep on changing and getting cover (I'm self employed) is both time and money consuming.

I do understand it is the price of success which is fantastic for the Albion but for one it really does make it hard. It won't stop me but Saturday 3pm just suits so much better.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
it's not the price of success. We have had one game moved for TV - the West Ham game

We have had two games moved because of Sussex Uni needed their car park, and one game moved because the Lewes Villagers want to kill the pope

OK fair point - But I think they were there first. And I believe, it was a bit of a condition for us to build our wonderful stadium, that we should respect the neighbours. You could prefer a move back to The Withdean if that's what you miss.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Personally don't have a problem with the evening games, althoght I prefer Saturdays at three.

Agree about SKY - it IS only one game moved so far because of them. (Why can't they pick an away game!)

What I think is out of order is the lateness of moving the games.

Hull is IMO the worst case - I know it has been moved for Uni open day (although their website says that is on the 8th, not the 15th)

Hull fans had already prebooked train tickets, and will struggle to make it back that night.

Yes if you look at the lower leagues the kick off's are Saturday 3pm (and rightly so).

Are next home games are:
Leeds - Friday night - Changed from a Saturday.
Palace - Tuesday night - due to police.
Hull - Saturday - 5.30 - Changed due to University.
West Ham - Monday night - Changed from a Satutrday.
Barnsley - Sunday 3.00 - Changed from a Saturday.
Coventry - Saturday 3.00 - Hoooooooorah. 26th November.

I think my point is we all work longer hours and getting time off is hard but to keep on changing and getting cover (I'm self employed) is both time and money consuming.

I do understand it is the price of success which is fantastic for the Albion but for one it really does make it hard. It won't stop me but Saturday 3pm just suits so much better.

I didn't realise Barnsley had been changed......

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Living 75 miles away, with 2 school age kids, evening games are difficult. My kids are missing more games than they should be because of the changes. Shame.
This. I'm 40 miles away and have one school age kid, but the principle is much the same.

I might expect a few changes, but the run we are seeing between August and November is absurd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here