Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] SAS ‘Death Squad’

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have given up on it, I thought it was supposed about the SAS and 90% of what I saw was about Australian special forces with one disgruntled ex Aussie soldier and people who didn’t want to be on camera. Crock of shit with more padding than a teenager’s bra

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have given up on it, I thought it was supposed about the SAS and 90% of what I saw was about Australian special forces with one disgruntled ex Aussie soldier and people who didn’t want to be on camera. Crock of shit with more padding than a teenager’s bra

The Aussie SAS had an inquiry with proven crimes committed - see link above. They’ve clearly included that as context for coalition special forces.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just watched an interview with rear admiral Chris Parry. Very relaxed and welcomes an Inquiry. Looks like nothing to see here.

By the same token, I didn't see anything nefarius in the journalism or the way the BBC attracted viewers.

In the end, if the SAS emerge once again as brave heroes, what's not to like? :shrug:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
War eh? Who’d have thought. Do people believe this stuff doesn’t happen? Shouldn’t happen? And can be eradicated? If so, get down to your local library and check out the section called History as an antidote to gross naivety

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
On NewsNight, Kirsty Wark was interviewing a military top brass (didn’t catch his name as I was paying my credit card bill at the same time) and she made the point that the Australian SAS had been found to have killed unarmed detainees.

He didn’t quite say, “What the **** has that got to do with us?” but you can tell he wanted to.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so if i read right, this Panorama programme "exposed" known cases with Aussie SAS, and tried to fit up the British SAS by association?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Same thing is alleged to have occurred within the Australian SAS, some very disturbing footage has been aired and there is an ongoing army investigation, plus a defamation lawsuit that is not going so well for the soldier (and VC recipient). The problem as I see it we take soldiers who are already very capable alpha males and give them even more training and powers, then we set them free in a war zone where they are fairly free to act autonomously. I find it somewhat hilarious that we expect this type of person in this situation to behave in a manner that doesn't violate the peacetime principles of our society. Wars are by definition nasty, and all wars involve crossing ethical boundaries. To expect ALL special forces troops to conduct themselves in accordance with our perception of a good moral standard is really naive. Its typical of the British and Australian public to be shocked that their troops can behave badly, its time we took our heads out of our backsides and realise that we are not so special

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Same thing is alleged to have occurred within the Australian SAS, some very disturbing footage has been aired and there is an ongoing army investigation, plus a defamation lawsuit that is not going so well for the soldier (and VC recipient). The problem as I see it we take soldiers who are already very capable alpha males and give them even more training and powers, then we set them free in a war zone where they are fairly free to act autonomously. I find it somewhat hilarious that we expect this type of person in this situation to behave in a manner that doesn't violate the peacetime principles of our society. Wars are by definition nasty, and all wars involve crossing ethical boundaries. To expect ALL special forces troops to conduct themselves in accordance with our perception of a good moral standard is really naive. Its typical of the British and Australian public to be shocked that their troops can behave badly, its time we took our heads out of our backsides and realise that we are not so special

I am struggling with the idea that just because we expect someone to behave in a certain way it somehow means they escape consequences?

We expect that some people are going to murder, rape, defraud etc etc. It is natural people are like that.

We still use laws to hold people accountable for those actions.

The same can be said when at war surely? You break the rules of engagement, Geneva convention, rule of law or whatever rules you operate by and you pay the consequences?

on what appears to be a side note, while everyone is nailing their colours to the mast, has anyone actually seen the program?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
on what appears to be a side note, while everyone is nailing their colours to the mast, has anyone actually seen the program?

Seeing as it was on last night I imagine the majority who have commented since 10pm last night have. I only made 30 mins before I gave up on it

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
once again the very 'holy' people of NSC - the usual suspects have spoken shit before they now what's actually happened or heard the facts , this really is the old gossips club

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
War eh? Who’d have thought. Do people believe this stuff doesn’t happen? Shouldn’t happen? And can be eradicated? If so, get down to your local library and check out the section called History as an antidote to gross naivety

Complete garbage and all based on hearsay etc Typical BBC

So 2 interesting viewpoints, 1. it's war this sort of thing obviously happens, if you think it can be stopped you're grossly naive, or 2. it didn't happen and its basically rumours/hearsay by the BBC.

Colonel Oliver Lee is not an insignificant figure to have contributed to the programme and gave a strong military view on basically the rule of law within operations. It was clear that while soldiers may commit atrocities under the stress of conflict, the chain of command has to disclose any evidence of misconduct. If that didn't happen and known issues were covered up, then that is a real problem.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It’s all gone quiet over there.

The first pages, before the “exposé” had even aired, were crying national shame - funnily enough it was the usual anti-Britain yay everyone else brigade.

Where are they now?

The show was absolute trash. Hearsay, not a shred of proof and it’s almost like those salivating and rubbing their hands at another scandal to be mock outraged about are disappointed.

Maybe something happened, if it did this hit-piece didn’t expose it. It was brutally bad and completely lacking in any foundation.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I am struggling with the idea that just because we expect someone to behave in a certain way it somehow means they escape consequences?

We expect that some people are going to murder, rape, defraud etc etc. It is natural people are like that.

We still use laws to hold people accountable for those actions.

The same can be said when at war surely? You break the rules of engagement, Geneva convention, rule of law or whatever rules you operate by and you pay the consequences?

Agreed , but it sounds like what the Russians are doing is just as bad. It doesn't make it right at all, but will Russian forces be had up for war crimes too? Hope so.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
It’s all gone quiet over there.

The first pages, before the “exposé” had even aired, were crying national shame - funnily enough it was the usual anti-Britain yay everyone else brigade.

Where are they now?

The show was absolute trash. Hearsay, not a shred of proof and it’s almost like those salivating and rubbing their hands at another scandal to be mock outraged about are disappointed.

Maybe something happened, if it did this hit-piece didn’t expose it. It was brutally bad and completely lacking in any foundation.
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here