Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sanchez to be sold for £20m ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At least the articles indicate that some are now starting to understand how the club plays these things now…..a couple of years ago they would have been quoting £10m and saying that it’s a good deal for little old Brighton because he didn’t cost them anything.

As usual we’re in the beautiful position of not needing to sell, so offers for any of our players will need to be whatever Tony says.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sanchez is by far and away the best keeper I have seen play for the Albion, and he is so young.
I have no doubt he will become Spain's number one and his stock will rise, I would like to see another season with us at least.
Leicester is not where a major international needs to further his career, he needs to stick with us until a Champions League team comes calling.

My concern is who would you get Premier League ready to fill his boots?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Makes sense the season we stopped being just a relegation battle team was also when others took notice of the good players we have. But like Cucurella, we are in the perfect situation with Sanchez to demand a huge fee which will turn most away.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Sanchez is by far and away the best keeper I have seen play for the Albion, and he is so young.
I have no doubt he will become Spain's number one and his stock will rise, I would like to see another season with us at least.
Leicester is not where a major international needs to further his career, he needs to stick with us until a Champions League team comes calling.

My concern is who would you get Premier League ready to fill his boots?

Our recruitment team always have a trick or two up their sleeve, so if we get a truly spectacular offer, we could consider it.

To me another year makes more sense even if we are offered stupid money. I understand Rushworth is considered very highly and could get the gloves for us, but it would make sense to give him another season in a decent league before making a decision on this. On the other hand, that's not the way we went with Robbie, we just chucked him in, so maybe we would do that with Rushworth.

My guess on Sherpen is that he's not considered to have the distribution to be first choice, but we're looking at more of a "loan, loan, sell for a small profit"

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
At least the articles indicate that some are now starting to understand how the club plays these things now…..a couple of years ago they would have been quoting £10m and saying that it’s a good deal for little old Brighton because he didn’t cost them anything.

As usual we’re in the beautiful position of not needing to sell, so offers for any of our players will need to be whatever Tony says.

Agreed, but I'd add two related things:
-- there is the player that needs to be factored in: if a club came in with a profile, wages, and a contract that sufficiently turns Sanchez's head (and his Mr 10% will be agitaitng for that), then he can let Tony know that he wants to leave, and make things difficult if that desire is not respected ...
-- ... and this in turn relates to Tony's overall view of how to run the club in terms of it being a 'stepping-stone' for players to move on to bigger/CL clubs (although I suspect you've probably factored this in with your 'will need to be whatever Tony says' comment).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agreed, but I'd add two related things:
-- there is the player that needs to be factored in: if a club came in with a profile, wages, and a contract that sufficiently turns Sanchez's head (and his Mr 10% will be agitaitng for that), then he can let Tony know that he wants to leave, and make things difficult if that desire is not respected ...
-- ... and this in turn relates to Tony's overall view of how to run the club in terms of it being a 'stepping-stone' for players to move on to bigger/CL clubs (although I suspect you've probably factored this in with your 'will need to be whatever Tony says' comment).

And you've also got to factor in whether we're also selling Cucu, Biss, Maupay etc in the same window. I'd be surprised if we sell more than 2 senior players in one summer

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I have no doubt he will become Spain's number one

Maybe, maybe not - he currently has One-eyed Simon in his path, who's only 5 months older than Bobby, has conceded only 30 goals in 33 games in La Liga this season, and has 21 Spain caps including starting their last 13 competitive matches in a row (being taken off for the last 16' against Georgia for Bobbo's only Spain cap to date, when they were already 4-0 up).

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Seeing as palace are probably going to finish above us again, are teams coming in for all their players? Why is it all our players are so in demand?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Seeing as palace are probably going to finish above us again, are teams coming in for all their players? Why is it all our players are so in demand?

Their best player doesn’t even belong to them!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
13 odd mil for someone with 18 months left on his contract and who was not a 1st team regular....good business

and he is a lifelong Newcastle fan. Burn was a great buy for Newcastle and an even better one for us

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
We've seen repeatedly with the fans inflation of the value of our players how wrong we can be. We sold our form centreback for £13m to a rival, because he is a fan of the club.

We were turning our noses up at £30m+ for Lamptey when he was linked with Bayern and others, because he looked like a world beater at that time.

People were saying we should be getting £50m for Bissouma and he'll only go to a top club. Now we'd be lucky to get half that to go to a rival like Villa.

It's about supply and demand. Players need to maintain form to hold their value, and the right club with the need for that player, with the right manager who wants him, with the right owner with the available funds have to all click together at the same time. An injury and poor run of form later, his value has nosedived.

If Sanchez kicked up a stink and said he wanted to go to Newcastle, for a chance to win trophies and triple his wage, we'd sell. And it would be closer to £20m than £50m.

How can you use examples of players we have not actually sold as fans over valuing?

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hope we won't look back on this Summer as the point where we reverted to being A Selling Club. There's some special players here at the current time, club shouldn't get over-confident and just assume that they can cash in and replace without skipping a beat

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I read somewhere they don’t want to lose their young player Mitchell this summer to bigger clubs. We don’t really pay any interest in other clubs transfer rumours my Brentford mate is sweating over Ivan Toney being sold to the top boys this summer and already resigned to losing Erikson.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Hope we won't look back on this Summer as the point where we reverted to being A Selling Club. There's some special players here at the current time, club shouldn't get over-confident and just assume that they can cash in and replace without skipping a beat

If the price is right, we will always sell players. That's the model, that's the reality of our club. Buy them young and develop, or buy from cheaper markets and then sell on for a huge profit.
Of course in some ways it's frustrating, the "what might have been." But overall the fact that the biggest clubs now want to buy our players shows how successful we've become.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

We are only "a selling club" the same way any other well run side outside the top 6 are. Saints are still in the division having sold Mane, VVD and a host of others. Leicester sold Kante and Mahrez after winning the title and will likely finish just above or below us this season.

It's the way of the world, Tommy, and as long as we can replace the players sold it's not really an issue. And there's the key. There is no obvious replacement for Sanchez and Cucurella and replacing either would probably suck up all the money we made selling. On the other hand Moder will replace Gross, Caicedo and Mwepu replace Biss and I can see Trossard going with Undav and Mitoma coming in.

The ace in the pack is silly money and since both Citeh and Newcastle are effectively owned by sports washing nation states it's not beyond possibility that Citeh will offer 70 mill for Cucu and the Geordies 50 mill for Sanchez. At those prices we could easily replace and still make a tidy profit.

Potter has previously hinted that our intention, though, is to sell one per window or so and presumably Ashworth, and characters like him, know exactly at what point TB will sell and what will cause the drawbridge to come down faster than our Tariq after a bouncy ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here