Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sanchez: England or Spain?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Silly analogy, because if

1) Shilton or Seaman had moved to Spain as 15 year olds.
2) Were loaned out to Spanish lower league sides.
4) Ended up playing for a La Liga first team side.
5) Spoke Spanish fluently to the media.
6) Ended being picked for the Spanish National Team

You'd be thinking boy did well.

We have a funny attitude to sports people born outside this country playing for our National Team. We've almost got over our attitude to black players born in Africa or the Caribbean (for fear of sounding racist) but still extend to others such as Owen Hargreaves.

This is obviously a "new one to deal with" since he is a black player born in Europe. However, if his parents were born in England and had emigrated to Spain taking Spanish citizenship everyone would be saying "he is actually English innit."

I don't particular care what his name is or where he was born, or even what it says on his passport. After moving here before becoming an adult and England being his home, that's good enough for me if he has the chance and decides it's England.

Our Prime Minister was born in New York.

Not ‘silly’ at all, if anything your Johnson analogy is ridiculous, he spent three months in New York after his birth before his English parents returned to the UK, he was never a US national, talk about clutching at straws, and as for bringing race into it, do me a favour! Sanchez is about as English as the Vunipola brothers who play rugby for England or Jaco van der Walt who plays for Scotland. It’s obviously a subjective debate, but Sanchez for England, not for me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not ‘silly’ at all, if anything your Johnson analogy is ridiculous, he spent three months in New York after his birth before his English parents returned to the UK, he was never a US national, talk about clutching at straws, and as for bringing race into it, do me a favour! Sanchez is about as English as the Vunipola brothers who play rugby for England or Jaco van der Walt who plays for Scotland. It’s obviously a subjective debate, but Sanchez for England, not for me.

How did you feel about Owen Hargreaves?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hargreaves parents are both British (one of them English). Not a very valid comparison :shrug:

In some ways not a perfect comparison I guess but he didnt live in England until he was 25 or something. What is "more English", to live in England from the age of 15 or to have English parents while growing up on a different continent?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Actually Boris was a dual US-UK national until 2016. He renounced his US citizenship in protest at their tax laws that saw him have to pay US capital gains tax on property he sold in the UK.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In some ways not a perfect comparison I guess but he didnt live in England until he was 25 or something. What is "more English", to live in England from the age of 15 or to have English parents while growing up on a different continent?

The latter, by a huge distance, in my opinion.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

There is a good case for qualification by both scenarios but in a comparison I would say the latter. My kids spent some of their childhoods living abroad but always remained English.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The latter, by a huge distance, in my opinion.

This misses the point.

In a situation where there is legally dual nationality, the individual should be determining their nationality for international football purposes by whichever country has the stronger emotional pull on them.

We can't know this. However, there are some players from other sports where it is blatantly obvious that the decision has been made for financial reasons, in fact the whole reason they moved to that country was part of a medium plan.

Thankfully this is quite rare in football, though every time someone makes a logical or financial, rather than emotional decision about where their allegiances lie international football loses some of its sparkle ... and it doesn't have loads to lose at the moment

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
or John Barnes

He didn't even hold a British passport when he was first picked for England. The rules were so different back then that he could have played for any of the four home nations. He was once quoted in the Jamaican press as saying something like "I only played for England because they asked first, if Scotland had asked you go and play for Scotland."

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That is dependent on many factors, for example, there are people born in this country but their parents have immersed them in their own culture the same way that Hargreaves parents, whilst working in Germany, may well have brought him up with English values?

On the general point of residency, I have not problem with someone representing their adopted country however, I would suggest that it should be a rule that once you have played for one country in a competitive game then that's it, you can't qualify for another. In Rugby Union, it seems there are former 'All Blacks' playing for a host of different countries!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Firstly, what a fantastic dilemma for him should it arise.

Second, If I were him I'd choose Spain, it'd be the country of my birth, where I was raised, the country of my parents and family.

Third, if he chose England, great!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That is dependent on many factors, for example, there are people born in this country but their parents have immersed them in their own culture the same way that Hargreaves parents, whilst working in Germany, may well have brought him up with English values?

On the general point of residency, I have not problem with someone representing their adopted country however, I would suggest that it should be a rule that once you have played for one country in a competitive game then that's it, you can't qualify for another. In Rugby Union, it seems there are former 'All Blacks' playing for a host of different countries!

Agree it depends on a lot of things. In Spain there is currently a young Swedish/Spanish player. Both his parents are Swedish but as they've been living in Spain for a long time with no intention to move, they thought it was better to teach the kid Spanish. Now he made his debut a couple of weeks ago in the Spanish cup and there's some talk about him maybe getting called up to the Swedish U19 national team. But he doesnt know a word Swedish, never lived here and probably not visited more than a couple of times. Despite his two parents being Swedish, I dont feel he is necessarily "more Swedish" than some bloke who moved here from Iran or something as a kid and now speaks fluent Swedish.

So indeed its a lot about circumstances, every case is different.

As for the rule, there is one like that. It changed recently to be a little bit more lenient:

The FIFA Congress 2020 this week voted to pass changes to eligibility for national teams. The biggest changes mean that players are no longer tied to a national team on the basis of a single appearance when they were younger.

Players can now switch national teams provided they were eligible to represent a second country at the time they first played for their first country, even if they have played in an official competition for the first nation.

This applies so long as they have played no more than three matches (including friendlies), none of the matches were in the final tournament of the FIFA World Cup or confederation competition, and they all happened before the player turned 21.

Its a great rule and I think football is maybe the only sports where it exists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here