Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

San Fransisco Hotels... any recommendations please

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Mrs Van Winkle is from the Bay Area, we were recently there last month and went to "Off the Grid" on every friday. It's what I could only describe after as a food rave. Lots of catering trucks in a lot selling really good different types of food at a very reasonable price. The atmosphere is very chilled and friendly. There is a Safeway opposite if you want to get booze and bring it along as I didn't see a vendor selling booze.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/off-the-grid-fort-mason-center-san-francisco-3

Also if you really want to impress the missus like others have said go to Napa Valley not only for the wine tasting but book into a day Spa. We went to Calistoga and stayed at the Pink Mansion (excellent poached pear for breakfast).

Spa Calistoga Spa Hot Springs

Pink Mansion Calistoga

If you're hiring a car and are anywhere near Lafayette go to Johnny's Donuts it will blow your mind.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnnys-donuts-lafayette

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
Can't remember which hotels i've stayed in in SF. all very run of the mill.

My tops tips would be;

Ferry to Sausilito. Lovely little town (with an English feel). Great bars, restaurants, walks and views of SF.

Twin peaks - unbeatable views of downtown

China town - the original and still the best

a daytime stroll/bar crawl through Pacific Heights - fittest college girls ever

And then as others have said, Golden Gate, Fishermans Wharf, Alcatraz, Lombard St, Tram rides, Highway 1 etc. etc. etc.

One of my favourite cities on the planet.

Enjoy.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If you want a slightly alternative experience, try the Red Victorian in Haight-Ashbury...very quirky, and amazing buzz. We stayed there with friends a few years back and had a fab time. The city tour bus (which others have mentioned) has a stop at the end of Haight Steet, so getting around is easy. You possibly need to feel comfortable with a slightly alternative, slightly gay sort of atmosphere, and it reminded me of Brighton in that respect. We were a group of two families with teenage kids, and they loved it.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
If you hire a car then Monterey Bay is within reach for a day trip. Best aquarium in the world bar none. Whale watching trips available or take the scenic coastline drive. If you like motor sport then you pass the Laguna Seca circuit on the way. I popped in for a look and was lucky enough to find that for $80 you could sit next to an instructor as he drove VERY fast for 2 laps in a Dodge Viper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here