Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Same old Tories...

She benefited enormously from public services. How else can they be provided for, other than through taxation?

That's the problem. I think governments appreciate that inheritance tax is unfair but basically they need the money. I think we need to close the loopholes that allow the very rich to pay virtually no tax. Gordon Brown stated he would do this back in 1994 but we are still waiting. Could this be because the big Labour party benefactors are the very people who would suffer the most? Surely not... :glare: We need to make sure that ALL people and businesses that make money in the UK economy also pay tax back into the system as currently this is not the case. If it is possible to tackle this effectively then the amount of revenue gained will greatly outweigh the loss from inheritance tax.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So, you're all whinging about the inequity of removing inheritence tax, but no mention of the plan to remove all stamp duty on properties under 250k, which would be of most benefit to 1st time buyers and people on lower income.

Odd that eh?

Papa
no need to whinge about that... that's just a good old fashioned bribe designed to appeal to the younger end of the voting electorate and their parents

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Ok - see your point - I can't agree with it - but I see it...

How would you feel if you had lived your life, done very well out of business you created, owned a modest house, paid your taxes, had your only child join you in the family business. House is worth £350k, business not worth much more...

You die and your son pays tax again on everything you've already paid tax on, does that sound right to you?
yes... why not? I don't need it anymore and why should he get a free ride?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
no need to whinge about that... that's just a good old fashioned bribe designed to appeal to the younger end of the voting electorate and their parents

Ah I see - so if the evil tories come up with a popular and sensible policy to help out people at the lower end of the pay scale it's a bribe.

I guess you vote labour, as for the last 10 years they've certainly not done much (from a tax perspective) to help the low paid, expecially with the raft of indirect (some might say stealth) taxes that they've slapped upon us.

Each to their own really, there are many people in our society who seem to stick to particular views and political parties irrespective of any changes in the political 'landscape'.

Clearly to you (and of course you may be right) the Tories will always be the party of the rich landed toffs, with more money than genetic diversity, who want to keep the poor down-trodden masses just that way.

Of course, there are many people who feel the same way, but from the opposite end of the political spectrum - this isn't direct purely at you. :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What interests me, and this is the point being made right at the beginning, is that the Tories' central thrust in the past four general election debates has been tax reduction, and moreover direct tax reduction. As a party still fighting hard to gain any kind of lead in centre-ground politics, it is still seen as a sweetener to the electorate who - to a large extent - have now seen straight through this 'policy'.

No-one is doubting that we would all like to pay less tax, but the counter-balance (public services) still does not seem to be placed into the equation. So when the first poster put 'same old Tories', it appears that, in PR terms at least, the Tories haven't learned their lesson in trying to get re-elected.

Just curious, but how many people on here are, or have been adversely affected by the current Inheritance Tax laws?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sounds like you agree with it??
not really - just being slightly facetious...

if it could be afforded without compromising public services then I'd agree - but public funds have to come from somewhere and working people who can afford to buy houses are fair game for reasonable taxation...

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
not really - just being slightly facetious...

if it could be afforded without compromising public services then I'd agree - but public funds have to come from somewhere and working people who can afford to buy houses are fair game for reasonable taxation...

Fair game? What a dreadful societal statement that is...:lol:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What interests me, and this is the point being made right at the beginning, is that the Tories' central thrust in the past four general election debates has been tax reduction, and moreover direct tax reduction. As a party still fighting hard to gain any kind of lead in centre-ground politics, it is still seen as a sweetener to the electorate who - to a large extent - have now seen straight through this 'policy'.

No-one is doubting that we would all like to pay less tax, but the counter-balance (public services) still does not seem to be placed into the equation. So when the first poster put 'same old Tories', it appears that, in PR terms at least, the Tories haven't learned their lesson in trying to get re-elected.

Just curious, but how many people on here are, or have been adversely affected by the current Inheritance Tax laws?

On your main point, I totally agree - the memory of how the Tories were back in the day (maybe still are?) seems to be hard for people to forget - much in the way it took the electorate to forget the divided, bungling and outdated Labour party of the 80s. I'm not sure what it was that changed people's minds about Old / New Labour - Tony B's charisma would be part of it, although John Smith was the man that started the change in the party. Maybe time is the only real healer in the end.

And, i've not bee effcted by the current Inheritence tax regime, as both of my parents are alive, and in fact as they live in Australia they may not be liable to the tax anyway.

As far as the balance between tax and benefits is concerned, I would say that the current government is getting away with a huge amount of inefficiency, possible because it's not 'acceptable' to talk about lowering taxes, even if it's enabled by radical changes in how public services are run to cut out the wastage (in terms of money).

Good to see petrol prices on the up today - thanks to a duty rise. Thanks Gordon. :tosser:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Fair game? What a dreadful societal statement that is...:lol:
choice of words was deliberate to reflect the accusation of "unfairness" from those who don't want to pay inheritance tax (or any other tax in some cases...) and manage to see themselves as hard done by when actually they are members of a highly privileged minority...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As far as the balance between tax and benefits is concerned, I's day that the current government is getting away with a huge amount of inefficiency, possible because it's not 'acceptable' to talk about lowering taxes, even if it's enabled by radical changes in how public services are run to cut out the wastage (in terms of money).

The civil service has always had accusations of inefficiency. Whose fault that is is another debate entirely.

Good to see petrol prices on the up today - thanks to a duty rise. Thanks Gordon. :tosser:
Oh, come on. Every single Chancellor at every single budget has increased duty on fuel - and they usually do it at '6pm this evening'. Is 2p a litre is really going to cripple you financially? It works out at an extra 80p-£1 every time you fill your car up - more if you have a gas-guzzling 4x4 or Lamborghini.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
choice of words was deliberate to reflect the accusation of "unfairness" from those who don't want to pay inheritance tax (or any other tax in some cases...) and manage to see themselves as hard done by when actually they are members of a highly privileged minority...

You're in fine form this morning Moshe, was your bed-hunting really that awful ? :D

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

Have they been though? They seemed to fight the 2001 election on Europe. They offered a few tax cuts but not loads at the last election and it wasn't coherent, just something they seemed to have made up. These look like sensible policies. It's probably right for the tories to committ to spending the same as Labour. I do though feel more confident that money will be spent wisely with the Tories because they are traditionally more adverse to taxing and spending.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You're in fine form this morning Moshe, was your bed-hunting really that awful ? :D
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: and that woman is commentating on the ODI again...

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

People who work hard and make money would be quite annoyed to hear they should be fair game though...unless you're on a wind up.

I don't want to pay inheritance tax, purely and simply because my father (a teacher) has already paid tax on every penny he used to buy/build and maintain his house. Are we wealthy - no - he's raised three children on a teachers salary!

I can't believe people are happy to impose a double taxation system just as they see people with more money than themselves shold be "fair game".

Taxing the wealthy will never ever ever make your own lives anybetter - it may make you smile every now and then, but its never going to do anything for your jealousy.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Oh, come on. Every single Chancellor at every single budget has increased duty on fuel - and they usually do it at '6pm this evening'. Is 2p a litre is really going to cripple you financially? It works out at an extra 80p-£1 every time you fill your car up - more if you have a gas-guzzling 4x4 or Lamborghini.

See - they've targetted me directly with this one :rant: :D

I was more using this as an example of the way Labour like to increase taxes indirectly rather than directly via income tax / NI.

If you are a fan of the environmental taxation route then these sort of increases will be automatic in every budget for the forseeable future, but it's the gradual drip drip of increased taxation that's my issue (not a massive issue, but one all the same).

One thing I think has happened in British politics is that the 3 main parties have become more similar than they've ever been, and I'd say that you'd get much the same sort of economy and welfare state whichever of the current big 3 are in power at present.

So, that would suggest the Labour party will stay in power for the forseeable future, as they are the safe option - i.e. the 'devil' you know.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Have they been though? They seemed to fight the 2001 election on Europe. They offered a few tax cuts but not loads at the last election and it wasn't coherent, just something they seemed to have made up. These look like sensible policies. It's probably right for the tories to committ to spending the same as Labour. I do though feel more confident that money will be spent wisely with the Tories because they are traditionally more adverse to taxing and spending.

Their main tax policies at general election times often features the tagline 'we'll cut taxes'. It leaves the electorate scratching their collective heads, saying 'Yep, and...?'

A cut in Inheritance Tax might come across as a 'sensible policy', but it's hardly going to be at the centre of their election mandate. Or rather, if it is, it shows a spectacular lack of depth in their taxation policies. If the original idea for the tax was to clobber the rich, then what they're suggesting here isn't going to revert to that. It requires a bigger overhaul of the tax laws than that. And if it considered a sensible policy, Labour would gazump them on it shortly anyway.

The fact that this policy seems to be grabbing the most headlines at a time when there MIGHT be a general election in the next six weeks (though personally I dbout there will be), implies that they haven't spent a huge amount of time thinking the whole thing through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here