Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Same old Tories...

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm not 100%, but as I understand it, the IT would take no account of fees payable due to the sale of the house, nor would it take account of the number of recipiants. i.e. it is a flat 40% tax on the total value of the estate at time of death.

So if the house is worth 350k, and the IT limit is £300k, then £50k would be taxable at 40%, plus 40% of any other assets.

really....f***ing red bastards.

we were relying on that for our pension and Round The World cruises

VOTE TORY

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
In the course of a decade of global economic growth, Gordon Brown has been able to hide the deficiencies of his approach even though the real cost has been enormous. He is the man who has doubled people's council tax and destroyed their pension. He is the man whose tax credits scheme has wasted billions and forced some of the poorest in our midst to pay back thousands. He is the man who sold the UK's gold reserves, so losing us £7bn. And as taxation and spending have risen to the very limits, he is the man who instead of recalibrating the UK economy has squandered the last decade and set aside nothing for a rainy day. All of this is the antithesis of careful financial management. He has used his position to buy votes in the sort-term, not help Britain in the long-term

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In the course of a decade of global economic growth, Gordon Brown has been able to hide the deficiencies of his approach even though the real cost has been enormous. He is the man who has doubled people's council tax and destroyed their pension. He is the man whose tax credits scheme has wasted billions and forced some of the poorest in our midst to pay back thousands. He is the man who sold the UK's gold reserves, so losing us £7bn. And as taxation and spending have risen to the very limits, he is the man who instead of recalibrating the UK economy has squandered the last decade and set aside nothing for a rainy day. All of this is the antithesis of careful financial management. He has used his position to buy votes in the sort-term, not help Britain in the long-term
not a big fan then...?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home

not to mention putting our young student poulation into horrendous debt - if she takes the full loan, including course fee loans, in 4 years she will come out witha debt of somewhere around £25k.....its effing scandalous

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As opposed to selling off all of our state-owned industries, to buy cheap votes, from 'the people' who made a few quid out of share schemes? That truly was taking the long view wasn't it?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm not 100%, but as I understand it, the IT would take no account of fees payable due to the sale of the house, nor would it take account of the number of recipiants. i.e. it is a flat 40% tax on the total value of the estate at time of death.

So if the house is worth 350k, and the IT limit is £300k, then £50k would be taxable at 40%, plus 40% of any other assets.

Correct.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
not to mention putting our young student poulation into horrendous debt - if she takes the full loan, including course fee loans, in 4 years she will come out witha debt of somewhere around £25k.....its effing scandalous

Don't take this as a dig at you Dave, but when I was a student marching against the introduction of loans in place of grants in 1989, it wasn't a Labour government we were campaigning against. Whilst some would love to blame Blair or Brown for every poor decision that has been made since the sixties, its not really true, is it?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whilst some would love to blame Blair or Brown for every poor decision that has been made since the sixties, its not really true, is it?

yes it is a dig...quelle surprise

Ok then, using that argument, Blair could quite easily have not introduced it!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

What an excellent post.

Shame that the alternatives are no real alternatives.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Disagree completely...mass building of housing and the price of units just will not fall.

I wasn't laying the blame at the door of Labour. I was pointing out that the system has been slowed and less houses are being built as a result.

Interestingly, the government have pledged £500m to speed up the process. The Housing and Planning Delivery Grant (HPDG).

CfSH, HQIs, EcoHomes assesments are not the only cause, but they are a factor. That is certainly how I see it from my experience.

doesn't work exactly like that...:D on a serious point there does seem a very straightforward avoidance strategy available for most fairly standard two parents and children situations whereby the allowance is doubled by the setting up of a simple Trust Fund on the death of the first parent... meaning that unless the "family home" is worth more than £600K no tax would be paid...

HAVE YOU MORE DETAILS ON THIS?

As opposed to selling off all of our state-owned industries, to buy cheap votes, from 'the people' who made a few quid out of share schemes? That truly was taking the long view wasn't it?

And squandering billions of pounds of oil revenues on creating mass un-employment in pursuit of a monetarist policy now shown to have been based on lies and falsified statistics.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
HAVE YOU MORE DETAILS ON THIS?
as I say, its pretty standard stuff... a quick search on Google should bring it up... I'm no expert and don't know what the restrictions are (married couple, willing to leave to children rather than spouse, etc...) but I'm sure someone on here will explain more...

I wasn't laying the blame at the door of Labour. I was pointing out that the system has been slowed and less houses are being built as a result.

Interestingly, the government have pledged £500m to speed up the process. The Housing and Planning Delivery Grant (HPDG).

CfSH, HQIs, EcoHomes assesments are not the only cause, but they are a factor. That is certainly how I see it from my experience.

What is also perverse. You can build a new home for £60k but it cost us £45k to build an attic bedroom, with storage and a bathroom suite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here