Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Samatta

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agreed. I think Murray might well play against West Ham on Saturday with Trossard and Mooy/Propper running off him.

That's the sort of pace to get Premier League defences quaking in fear

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
That's the sort of pace to get Premier League defences quaking in fear

Maybe not and obviously it would be better if we signed Aubameyang, I'm just trying to be practical with what is going to be the reality of the situation.

I actually think it would work against West Ham. I reckon they're currently planning to sit back and let us have endless possession and play around in front of them and then hit us on the break. However, that front 2/3 would throw a spanner in that plan, and I'm not convinced the Hammers would have the brains or the inclination to be able to adapt to our change of plan..

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Maupay is a good striker, but he currently looks like a good championship striker playing in the PL.

Maupay isn't so much the issue, it's what if Maupay gets suspended or God forbid injured. Then we'll be down to a teenager and a retiree, both of whom are not currently in the best form.

For a team already struggling for goals, not to get better back up at least, is a staggering gamble

OK, then lets flip my argument around. Why would Samatta want to come to Brighton to be back up to Maupay when he can be first choice at Villa? It's not easy to sign a top quality player to be a back up in January.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
OK, then lets flip my argument around. Why would Samatta want to come to Brighton to be back up to Maupay when he can be first choice at Villa? It's not easy to sign a top quality player to be a back up in January.

I wasn't talking about Samatta as such KG, but the need of another striker deemed good enough to be in a match day squad. Except keepers, there aren't really outfield players who are signed as "backups" , they're signed to compete for the shirt in their position. I'm sure any player we'd sign has the ability (in theory if we got the recruitment right) to make a position their own if they perform, and are signed on such basis.

The point was simply that relying on Maupay and only having an out of form teenager and a 36 year old, is a big risk if something happens to Maupay.
We need someone else able to compete to start with or instead of Maupay and more so to have some options if Maupay can't play for some reason.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

We've played two up front plenty of times this season, and there's reason to suspect it would have been even more often if there were more than 2 strikers from which we could realistically choose from

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
We failed to sign a striker
Villa sign one for 8 million quid
Scores on his debut
Forces Toby to score an OG for Spurs to put them 1-0 up
Holding up the ball well
Injection of pace
Excellent positioning
D'oh!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We failed to sign a striker
Villa sign one for 8 million quid
Scores on his debut
Forces Toby to score an OG for Spurs to put them 1-0 up
Holding up the ball well
Injection of pace
Excellent positioning
D'oh!

I heard he was a waste of money and we'd dodged a bullet.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I heard he was a waste of money and we'd dodged a bullet.

Seeing as we don’t sign many strikers we dodge plenty of bullets. Are you seeing the business plan yet, given that most we sign take a hit to the heart.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seeing as we don’t sign many strikers we dodge plenty of bullets. Are you seeing the business plan yet, given that most we sign take a hit to the heart.

The business plan suggests we'll be welcoming Tomer back in the summer.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Sold half a season into a 4.5 year contract.... Scoring one goal i think? Definitely dodged a bullet. He looked like Locadia V2 when i saw him in Villa games.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Watkins has looked utter gash for Villa too. Starting to wonder if it's "The Villa Way" to make any half decent striker look like utter ****.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here