Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Vokes - what do we know about him?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
i am so happy we have signed him, will be a class acquisition!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Quality striker, just got a bit unfit for a while, can happen when not playing regularly. And if it makes CMS's life easier, that's a big plus for me.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
BHA website
Loan striker Sam Vokes admitted that he is looking to settle on the south coast after signing for the Seagulls until the end of the season.

Southampton-born Vokes completed the move from Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers this morning and he hopes that a successful loan deal could lead to a more permanent deal during the summer.

Vokes told seagulls.co.uk, "The style here will suit me. It's a great way of playing football and very different to a lot in the Premier League. I came here earlier in the season with Burnley, and even though they were down to nine men, they kept the play and did things right.

"I need to settle down and find a home in my career. I want to play football and I need to feel settled. I've had a lot of loan deals and it's been difficult because I'm moving from place to place. I've had good experience and for me it's about playing games and scoring goals.

"Things have stalled a bit for me recently. It was a great first year at Wolves because I was playing regularly and we got promoted into the Premier League but since then I've had a few injury problems and I couldn't establish myself in the team.

"This move is fantastic for me. I came along on Saturday and saw a great performance against Newcastle and it was a great draw again yesterday. I haven't played in the FA Cup yet so hopefully I can get myself involved in the Liverpool game."

The 22-year-old will be available for selection for Albion's trip to Crystal Palace tomorrow night and he feels that it would be the ideal occasion to get his Albion career started, should he be selected.

"It would be a fantastic game to play in. I heard a lot from the fans on Saturday suggesting that it would be a nice game to be involved with and these are the games that I love.

"Going to the local rivals with the fans behind us will be a great occasion and to score a goal would be a dream start.

"People probably see me as a target man but I also like to link up the play, get in the box and score goals.

"It was also good to see Craig Mackail-Smith play on Saturday and he is a fantastic player, who puts a great amount of effort in. If I can get myself up alongside him it will be great for me because he works so hard for the cause. But I have got to fight for a place first.

"I have just been at Burnley for a good couple of months but towards the end I didn't play as much. The chance came up to come here and I jumped at it. It's a great set up here with a great stadium so I can't wait to get started."

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
So I asked this question of a Wolves fan at work his general opinion was that the Premiership was a step too far for him but in the Championship he was quality. He stated "a big guy and decent in the air in the more traditional centre forward mould".
If that's right he could fit in well and at 22 will only improve.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
So I asked this question of a Wolves fan at work his general opinion was that the Premiership was a step too far for him but in the Championship he was quality. He stated "a big guy and decent in the air in the more traditional centre forward mould".
If that's right he could fit in well and at 22 will only improve.

I also had the same response from the Wolves fan at my workplace

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Look what Gus & Co did with Adam El Abd. Could see this guy flower if he knows what is job is. Just hoping he isn't another Billy Painter and more of a Murray (winning headers, knock downs, scoring with his head from crosses, feeding CMS round the corner etc). Could be a good one.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Just received from my Wolves ST holding buddy..........

I reckon for the championship he will be good. He has no pace which is a must in the prem, but he's good in the air and does know how to finish. If you've got a smaller lad up front with him he'll be good for you. You can train him up so we can have him back in the championship next year!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Just received from my Wolves ST holding buddy..........

I reckon for the championship he will be good. He has no pace which is a must in the prem, but he's good in the air and does know how to finish. If you've got a smaller lad up front with him he'll be good for you. You can train him up so we can have him back in the championship next year!

CMS + Vokes = Poifect :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
Only what i think, but saw him play for Bournemouth, Wolves, Wales and Burnley. only a young lad, hes got the size we need and in my opinion rather then another loan Sam needs to settle down somewhere and play week in and week out. also hes a southern lad (via wales i know) and being back down south might suit him better

I think given the chance him and CMS could be a great strike forces and help us and himself push towards an international call up

People who dont rate him i believe have probably only seen him on loan at clubs where its hard to get up to speed in a short amount of time.

he doesnt have pace, but he works hard, can finish and can headed...

I rate him higher then i do both Hoskins or Barnes

so on that note, good luck to the lad, looking forward to seeing him play

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just watched his interview. He is Ritchie Barker reincarnated.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
lets hope its a bit of the Ward and Mellor show all over again and if he is anything like the last player we got from Wolves then he will be OK listening to the interveiw it sounds like he has his head skrewed on about what he needs to do

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here