Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock is the key

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I am not saying Baldock is/was. I was just pointing out that having a goalscorer is not always the answer.
But Hemed's goals have dried up since Baldock got injured. Could be because of Lualua as well though.

Yes, agreed. Or Tomer might just be not playing as well as he was (his own performance).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
An interesting few points, and quite a few I'd challenge. But the main one is your issue that he didn't score against Preston. Firstly, no one did, so damning him is to damn every other one of our players. Secondly, they played 3 at the back that day and sat incredibly deep, making the strengths that Baldock has almost obsolete. That was a game set up for Zamora and Hemed considering the amount of ball we had in wide areas and neither of them scored either, so it seems like a strange game to beat Baldock with.

Simply the last two games I saw Baldock play (he made so little contribution against MKDons that that one doesn't count). Not just PNE every single other match than Bristol City he has played in the centre he hasn't got the pace to beat the opposition defence in an even race. Not that it matters much as his shots on target are below what is required by both frequency of shots and percentage of those actualy attempted on target. At least Hemed gets more shots off.

Baldock will have to acquire better shooting ability or nous like Nugent to make up for his lack of pace. I prefer Hemed to Baldock and both are too much alike in style to be in the same team (unless Baldock plays wider where he did not look too bad last season for League One standard). I think we got conned about his pace when buying him. Not quick enough by 10% acceleration and no sprint speed either. .

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Disagree completely. Ward, Zamora for example. Every successful team needs a 20+ goal striker.

Aguero, Henry, Drogba........ The list is endless.

Almost always the case, I agree.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Pointless if that 20 are the only goals you get. Give a team that scores 80 odd and no 20+man over a team with one and no other goals.

Yes, but do you agree that almost all successful teams have a 20+ goalscorer? I believe that is the case.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Don't think that had happened too many times!!

Of course others will contribute, but as has been proven time and time again, you need someone who is going to pick up the lions share.

Having 6-7 players score 12 goals is very rare.

Spot on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Never got my head around this ancient concept of a striker's only job is to score goals. Sure they are more likely to than other positions but to judge a player on that alone is incredibly short sighted.

It's not the 1970's anymore, modern day footballers have to be more all-round players than just one position or attribute.

Nobody has claimed that tho'; rather, it has been pointed out that scoring is the primary role of a striker, and it is.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And his name is.............enlighten us

You know who we are chasing, there are a few out there. You have to pay big money for them (more than we paid for Sam B), but they are out there...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Am I the only one who doesn't care too much about the FA Cup this season? I would much rather lose the cup game, save those players and have them possibly slightly fitter and having avoided a possible injury in the cup match. The league is more important this season.

I would say they need game time, so play them in the FA Cup...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sam Baldock this season: 10 Wins 7 draws 0 Loss

Without Sam Baldock: 2 Win 4 Draws 3 Loss

Please continue to argue your point....

BUT... these stats are so misleading... it is not all about Sam B's presence/absence... we have more significant injuries, especially after James W's arrival. Also, look at the strength of the opposition is the games Sam B played versus didn't play. Also, there are 22 players on the pitch, all having good or bad games. Sorry, but Sam B is definitely NOT the key.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And here you have it!
If you are that successful with a striker, no matter how many goals he does or does not score, why would you be complaining?
He must be doing something right.

Lies damn lies and statistics. You are too easily convinced (see my earlier post).

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Lies damn lies and statistics. You are too easily convinced (see my earlier post).

And I'll repeat, if your team are that successful when he plays and performances go downhill when he doesn't, why would you complain?
You must see that he is a decent player who brings a lot to our team.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And I'll repeat, if your team are that successful when he plays and performances go downhill when he doesn't, why would you complain?

Decent, yes. Good enough for a team aiming for the Prem, no. Incidentally, he has always scored bucket-loads of goals in league 1, but failed to do so in the Championship (not just with us). Money not well spent IMHO. Still, the club are hopefully going to plug this particular team gap in this Jan window about to open... otherwise, expect a gentle slide out of auto promo place contention (at best).

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Your point would be a bit more relevant if it was just Baldock who was missing in those games. It's actually about 4 or 5 first team players.

I wouldn't say he was the key, but I was watching the game against Ipswich thinking that we really miss his running. Yes, he hasnt scored enough, but his running was creating space for players to slot into and if there are any stats someone can find on his involvement in goals Id be interested to see them.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sam Baldock this season: 10 Wins 7 draws 0 Loss

Without Sam Baldock: 2 Win 4 Draws 3 Loss

Please continue to argue your point....

Bong, Rosenior, Lua Lua , March. Unbeaten. Silly stat that.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
All our injuries have affected us including of course Baldocks.
I must say though I am not his biggest fan but I don't think he is rubbish.
You always take a chance when you buy from lower divisions and with CMS and Baldock we seem to have spunked too much dosh on them. We paid the same for Dickenson (who) as we did for Murray. Some make the jump......... Some don't.

Bournemouth bought Wilson from Coventry the same time we bought Baldock didn't they. He was a couple behind Baldock in the scoring stakes that season although of course I stand to be corrected on that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here