Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Allardyce New England Manager

DavePage

Cue the song living next door to (Sam Alla, who the f*** is Sam Alla)
Go for it Sam, be the “Unfashionable One”
How many years have we heard Brian Clough the best England manager that never was?
Play them that want to for the badge not the money.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The more I think about this the better a move it seems.

This is England we're talking about, not Spain or Argentina. Our strengths really should be competitiveness, playing directly at pace and team spirit. You need twenty years of playing in heat and technically gifted players to play tika taka. We have neither.

In the best case scenario we'll bring back our pacy players, get Kane right in to the box and play our most competitive midfielders, all of which was missing in France. I genuinely think he'll get more respect than Roy and be better at team spirit.

Of course, if he builds the whole team round Rooney and Jack Wheelchair he can f*** off.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I've no experience of managing, or even coaching, are you suggesting they try giving me the job? It's not as though all our managers have been awful, some did a decent job. I can't think of anyone worse than McClaren, who must have been picked on the basis of being English and not much else.
McClaren was apparently chosen because of his excellent work on the training ground.

We seem to do well in qualification, but then go to pieces at the finals. Is this down to the manager? Although people would say, no, it's down to the players, responsibility ultimately rests with him.

England players always claim they care - Rooney criticising the 'loyal' England fans for booing, which was great coming from a player who has spectacularly underachieved at finals since 2004.

In this day and age of highly-paid, pampered players, I'm beginning to think that it's an impossible job.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chris Hughton's match stats are as better than Allardyce's - and what exactly has Big Al done?

We have just gone back to the era of El Tel, where we put a manager's character before his actual ability!

Allardyce has made basket case clubs perform where the previous managers couldn't. Isn't that exactly what England need?

I think you are over egging CH if you think his record is better than Allardyces. That is not a criticism of CH, he is doing a fabulous job here but he hasn't really achieved anything in the Premier League except scraping staying up. Big Sam has done that regularly and got Bolton way above their station in the Premier League.

If your Premier League team has relegation looming, Big Sam is your man not CH.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If it has to be an English manager managing England then SA, somewhat depressingly, is probably the best choice. He will get the best out of players that are technically and tactically limited, their hearts will be busting out of their chests, they will give 110% for the cause, he will play players in their best positions in a system they understand. Will this be enough to win anything? Probably not, but you never know.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Chris Hughton's match stats are as better than Allardyce's - and what exactly has Big Al done?

We have just gone back to the era of El Tel, where we put a manager's character before his actual ability!
I would normally agree but we have tried all the combinations of tacticians,continentals,proven track records that should have brought success and have given us abject failure. How could a complete contrast like this work out any worse? Perhaps that's what we have been doing wrong all these years

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it has to be an English manager managing England then SA, somewhat depressingly, is probably the best choice. He will get the best out of players that are technically and tactically limited, their hearts will be busting out of their chests, they will give 110% for the cause, he will play players in their best positions in a system they understand. Will this be enough to win anything? Probably not, but you never know.

You are unlikely to walk away after a game calling England gutless and lacking in belief and passion, which will be a start IMO.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London

Fingers crossed you're right... That was the last time we did anything vaguely respectable at a football tournament...

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's hardly a progressive appointment but seems to me one aimed at avoiding abject humiliation in tournaments so in that sense is not a bad choice. I hope he'll pick players on form and merit rather than reputation and then play them in their proper positions. A game plan would be nice too and dare we mention a plan B or even C? Not too much to expect from an international manager but it's been far too much of many an England manager over the last 20 years or so.
He surely cannot do any worse than Hodgson. We'll see.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The sheer snobbery surrounding the Allardyce appointment from some people is astonishing. Considering the series of tinpot basketcase clubs he's been in charge of in the PL, a win ratio of 33% and zero relegations deserves respect. But no, lets get some random Carlos Fandango in, who won a Copa America once, or something. Yeah THAT'LL work.
Good appointment. I'm quite happy to see Big Sam getting a well deserved chance.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
It's hardly a progressive appointment but seems to me one aimed at avoiding abject humiliation in tournaments so in that sense is not a bad choice. I hope he'll pick players on form and merit rather than reputation and then play them in their proper positions. A game plan would be nice too and dare we mention a plan B or even C? Not too much to expect from an international manager but it's been far too much of many an England manager over the last 20 years or so.
He surely cannot do any worse than Hodgson. We'll see.

Agree. I have always liked Big Sam for his honest and forthright views and I for one think he will play a team purely on merit and if you don't pull your weight you will be out.

Can't really be any worse than the technical non-deliverers we have had in charge for the past decade can he?

TNBA

TTF

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
What the Euro championships should show him is that he doesn't have to rely on 11 pampered prima donas to play for England. If he can get 11 committed players playing to a system he can get more joy than Hodgson did with his squad. He needs to knock the complacency out of our English premier league players and get in people who will be proud to wear the shirt and represent our country, rather than line their pockets and give it large.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm no fan of Big Sam at all, but I think he's the perfect appointment for England for a few reasons:

1. England players do not have enough time to learn complex systems in the short amount of time they're together, he'll get them playing a (most likely) simpler and easier to pick up system;
2. Simply by appointing him, you're starting to get rid of the ridiculous sense of mystique that surrounds the jobwhich should help reduce the perceived pressure on the players;
3. He doesn't seem to pick players and play the, out of position. He's a sensible manager who believes that a player should do the job they do best. For example, if Vardy is your best centre forward, he will play him CF, not on the wing.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Fingers crossed you're right... That was the last time we did anything vaguely respectable at a football tournament...

But that's the strange misconception, we didn't actually do any better under El Tel, he only had a 48% win percentage compared to that abject failure Roy Hodgson who achieved a 59% win percentage and Sven-Goran Eriksson at nearly 60%!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He'll do all right. England are crap and Sam gets crap teams playing well generally.

This just about sums it up. Although there's such a thing as mid-table obscurity, that Sam has excelled at, I'm not entirely convinced there's such a thing as mid-tournament obscurity: it's all or nothing -- or it is as far as the media, egged on by the public. That public, with Alan Shearer as their spokesman, demands passion and desire; I'd much rather a plan, and Sam will deliver that much.

boik

Well, it's not an appointment that will excite the football snobs, but I think it could just work.

Big Sam has mostly been limited by the players he inherited, but when he'd built a team of decent players (Okocha, Djourkaeff, Campo etc) at Bolton they qualified for europe twice and played some decent football.

England have some good players, who can play some great football (c.f. qualifiers, beating France, Germany and Holland in friendlies). What we can't do is deal with competition pressure. I think Sam might be strong enough to break that cycle and get the players to believe and play to their ability.

It's a cautious but optimistic "yes" from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here