Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Allardyce defends West Ham style after fan chants

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
BBC Sport - Sam Allardyce defends West Ham style after fan chants

West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce has defended their recent displays after his own supporters chanted about the side's style of football.
There's a surprise!

The Hammers boss vowed to play "the West Ham way" when he took over in June but fans have voiced their displeasure at what they see as direct tactics.
Surely not Sam 'chewed the wasp' Allardyce?

Supporters at the 2-0 win at Peterbrough were heard singing, 'We're West Ham United, we play on the floor'.
Don't think Big Sam looks that far down.

But Allardyce said: "I'm sick of all that rubbish."
The victory cemented West Ham's position in third and closed the gap on second-placed Reading, who the Hammers entertain at Upton Park on Saturday. Allardyce has been on the receiving end of vocal criticism from fans in previous home matches, something he says he has found surprising.
Is he that thick to be surprised?

"I think we've lost three at home all season so I don't know why they [the fans] are not harmonious - you'll have to ask the fans that," he told BBC London 94.9.
"Perhaps their expectations are too much and they're getting a bit carried away, I don't know.
"The pressure is on us like it is every week. We have more pressure on us than anyone else, but we have to live with that and deliver, and today we did. Let's hope we do on Saturday."
The Irons have not lost since a 5-1 defeat at Ipswich Town on 31 January but a run of five consecutive draws, prior to the win over Peterborough, has seen them lose pace with leaders Southampton.
Not feeling the pressure? hmmmmmmmm....

Despite the winless run Allardyce was keen to point out the encouraging performances his side have put in.
"I looked at the facts, and the facts are that at Burnley we've out-played them, out-passed them, away from home, and all the other six teams recently we've done exactly the same, that we've drawn against.
"The only team we didn't outplay was Southampton with 10 men recently, and that's probably eight games ago."
The facts are 1 win in 6, despite his bleating about how brilliant he is.

Allardyce's sides have previously attracted criticism over their style of play and the 57-year-old blamed the media and his previous team's successes for the criticism of his tactics.
"It didn't start off from there though [the media] - it started off from other managers many years ago, because they got jealous because I kept beating them.
"It's there and I just have to carry on, I don't let it affect me personally, I just know what's good for the players at West Ham, I know what's good for West Ham as a football club, and I know how to win football matches."
Blaming everyone but himself... he's becoming as tedious as the physio at SCC.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I just don't like him, Hammers supporters may be a bunch of missing link troglodytes but at least they like a bit of decent tippy tappy football.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Money spent, they should we walking this division.

Nolan is on £50k a week, right? That, alone, equated to 5,200 Hammers spending £500 on a season ticket.

One is lucky to have an entertaing AND successful side. I'm not sure many can boast that. Although I would imagine that a Peterborough fan, for example, could claim that.

West Ham are a club not used to being below the top flight, so I guess they are going to get a little restless.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Money spent, they should we walking this division.

Nolan is on £50k a week, right? That, alone, equated to 5,200 Hammers spending £500 on a season ticket.

One is lucky to have an entertaing AND successful side. I'm not sure many can boast that. Although I would imagine that a Peterborough fan, for example, could claim that.

West Ham are a club not used to being below the top flight, so I guess they are going to get a little restless.

To be fair mate, they do spend their fair share of time in the second tier, don't they?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Since 1920, they have spent 31 years in Division Two and the rest in Division One. I'd quite like to see them spend a little time in Division Three.

So 30% of their time since 1921 in the second tier... not my idea of a consistent top flight club, but slightly better than our record!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So 30% of their time since 1921 in the second tier... not my idea of a consistent top flight club, but slightly better than our record!

Nine seasons in the second tier in the last 50 odd years. Six in the last three decades. They are going to grumble about missing top flight football.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Nine seasons in the second tier in the last 50 odd years. Six in the last three decades. They are going to grumble about missing top flight football.

Yeah I can understand that, along with the hoof ball tactics they haven't really seen before.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Do you think they preferred the style of Avram Grant? No ability in front of goal, and leaking like a sieve at the back...

This isn't specifically my opinion... read the opening post... Hammers fans aren't that chuffed.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This isn't specifically my opinion... read the opening post... Hammers fans aren't that chuffed.

I read the opening post. I find it ironic that their fans were chanting fairly negative chants during a 2-0 win. They're a funny bunch though, West Ham. They have an amazing complex about them. If your team is winning, and you can't be happy with that, then you can't ever achieve anything. If you're not happy to win, what else can you do? They were turgid last season, and not much better the seaosn before don't forget. They can bleat on about style of football if they like, but if the team is winning... How much more can you ask for?

The football Dean Wilkins had us playing wasn't comparable with the current regime, obviously, but it was effective and I did quite like seeing us do rather well when we finished 7th. Apart from the Port Vale game at Withdean which was such an amazing shocker.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Is he a face in need of a moustache?

Sam-Allardyce-1.jpg
?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here