Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Salvadge-Selvdage Denim

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
bought some the other day. some people say do not wash for 6 months. others say dry clean for the 1st 6 months..........anyone got any advice to keep this denim happy???

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Selvedge.

Yeah, don't wash em... or as little as possible anyway. Mind you, not like you'll ruin them as such, just won't be as good as they could be.

Febreze / outdoor airing..

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
they are turning my prison white trainers blue!!!

thought about in a few weeksa worn once cool wash?

they also made my mums sofa go a bit blue.....she aint happy!!!

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Selvage denim (also called selvedge denim) is a type of denim which forms a clean natural edge that does not unravel. It is commonly presented in the unwashed or raw state. Typically, the selvage edges will be located along the out-seam of the pants, making it visible when cuffs are worn. Although selvage denim is not completely synonymous with unwashed denim, the presence of selvage typically implies that the denim used is a higher quality.

The word "selvage" comes from the phrase "self-edge", the natural edge of a roll of fabric. In this case, denim made on old-style shuttle looms. These looms weave fabric with one continuous cross thread (the weft) that is passed back and forth all the way down the length of the bolt. As the weft loops back into the edge of the denim it creates this “self-edge” or Selvage. Selvage is desirable because the edge can’t fray like lower grade denims that have separate wefts which leave an open edge that must be stitched. Shuttle looming is a more time-consuming weaving process that produces denim of a tighter weave resulting in a heavier weight fabric that lasts.

Shuttle looms weave a more narrow piece of fabric, and thus a longer piece of fabric is required to make a pair of jeans (approximately 3 yards). To maximize yield, traditional jean makers use the fabric all the way to the selvage edge. When the cuff is turned up the two selvage edges, where the denim is sewn together, can be seen. The selvage edge is usually stitched with colored thread: green, white, brown, yellow, and red (red is the most common). Fabric mills used these colors to differentiate between fabrics.

Most selvage jeans today are dyed with synthetic indigo, but natural indigo dye is available in smaller niche denim labels. Though they are supposed to have the same chemical makeup, there are more impurities in the natural indo dye. Loop dying machines feed a rope of cotton yarn through vats of indigo dye and then back out. The dye is allowed to oxidize before the next dip. Multiple dips create a deep dark indigo blue.

In response to increased demand for jeans in the 1950's, American denim manufacturers replaced the old shuttle style looms with modern projectile looms. The new looms produced fabric faster and wider (60-inches or wider), yet lighter and less durable. Synthetic dyeing techniques along with post-dye treatments were introduced to control shrink and twist.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Loomed in the traditional way, has a distinctive edge to the denim on the inside from the looming process. Wears in better than modern denim, hence the no washing. Those pre worn in jeans you get are an effort to copy the selvedge vintage denim.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
My jean routine is as follows: Having worn the jeans all day before going to bed I place them on the radiator, doing so thus ensures they are warm when I put them on in them on the morning. Once said jeans are on, the top button is left un-done until breakfast is successfully abolished. The button is then done-up until my next meal at College. While at College, I try to avoid any contact with grass as this makes them even more coarse. As soon as College is finished I return home and enjoy a slob-fest on the sofa for a few hours with said jeans still on, perhaps nodding off into a tranquil sleep for a while. Completion of these few hours is followed by more slobbing on the computer, before lastly trudging up to bed, placing jeans on radiator and imitating the routine for the rest of the week.

My jean routine is as follows: Having worn the jeans all day before going to bed I place them on the radiator, doing so thus ensures they are warm when I put them on in them on the morning. Once said jeans are on, the top button is left un-done until breakfast is successfully abolished. The button is then done-up until my next meal at College. While at College, I try to avoid any contact with grass as this makes them even more coarse. As soon as College is finished I return home and enjoy a slob-fest on the sofa for a few hours with said jeans still on, perhaps nodding off into a tranquil sleep for a while. Completion of these few hours is followed by more slobbing on the computer, before lastly trudging up to bed, placing jeans on radiator and imitating the routine for the rest of the week.

You didn't mention what precautions you take when having a dump.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008

you need to get some joggers for that slob session pal

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I was actually and recently thinking of getting a Japanese pair of these....any tips on these jeans would be cool.

1. Do they look better
2. Are they comfier
3. Best way to maintain and look after these?

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here