Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Salute Mick Blackburn!

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Many threads talk about super fans and the extent of their dedication to the cause. Well, I wish to let you know of a super fan who was at the Northampton game last night. Salute Mick Blackburn of Accrington. Born and raised in Lancashire, his mother was from Brighton and a die hard Albion fan. Despite the lure of the Man Uniteds and the Liverpools, young Mick was raised to be a loyal Albionite. Now in middle age he remains as devoted as ever, and he has imbued in subsequent generations of the Lancashire Blackburn's the importance and joy of supporting BHAFC.

Yesterday, Mick finished work early and travelled alone by train to Northampton a journey taking four hours. He picked up his connection back to Manchester in Milton Keynes and arrived back home in Accrington at 2am. This morning he was back at work at 7am, having got up at 5.30pm after 3 hours sleep.

Mick Blackburn, Super Albion Fan and friend. :bowdown:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I met two blokes from Scotland at Oldham away last season.

Both diehards who get to all the northern games, and a few down here, throughout the season.

Very strange hearing an Albion afan with a thick Scottish accent!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Well done Mick and Mick's Mum.

Any other northern Seagulls willing to add a comment to this thread (not the southern boys who have moved North - you should be ashamed of yourselves)? Would be good to know if you are out there.

Elegia

Jan 4, 2007
Well done Mick and Mick's Mum.

Any other northern Seagulls willing to add a comment to this thread (not the southern boys who have moved North - you should be ashamed of yourselves)? Would be good to know if you are out there.

I grew up in Blackburn and have supported the Rovers for 20 odd years. I left Blackburn years ago though and married a lovely Sussex girl who is a Seagulls fan through and through.
Have been to the withdean many times and have a strong affection for Brighton. Watching them reminds me of watching Blackburn before they got money.

Our kids are gonna be brought up to be Brighton fans, with Blackburn as their second team of course.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I grew up in Blackburn and have supported the Rovers for 20 odd years. I left Blackburn years ago though and married a lovely Sussex girl who is a Seagulls fan through and through.
Have been to the withdean many times and have a strong affection for Brighton. Watching them reminds me of watching Blackburn before they got money.

Our kids are gonna be brought up to be Brighton fans, with Blackburn as their second team of course.

Well done - I remember many Brighton v Blackburn games in the pre-Jack Walker's money days. My Uncle was a Director (he lived next door to Jack when they both were lads on a terraced street) and I went to many games with him. Blackburn these days seem to have become another one of he anonymous also-rans like Villa and Everton. It's a shame. But at least you got the title after spending all that cash.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I had work at 6am today which meant leaving my house at 5.30 and I didnt get home until 2am either.

Can I have my own thread please? And a Man City ticket

Elegia

Jan 4, 2007
Well done - I remember many Brighton v Blackburn games in the pre-Jack Walker's money days. My Uncle was a Director (he lived next door to Jack when they both were lads on a terraced street) and I went to many games with him. Blackburn these days seem to have become another one of he anonymous also-rans like Villa and Everton. It's a shame. But at least you got the title after spending all that cash.

Happy days indeed, never thought I would see Blackburn so high in the league or even win it. Jack was fantastic and a rare breed - he really wasn't in it for the money and was genuinely only interested in seeing his beloved club win things and compete with the likes of Man U, Liverpool etc.

I don't mind Blackburn being an also ran they are still punching well above their weight and if Jack hadn't been so generous they would either still be there or out of business by now. And so long as they stay in business I don't care what league they are in - so long as its above the Dingles (Burnley)

Having been watching Brighton for the last few years I find the 2 clubs are similar in that they are both competing at a higher level than they should given their finances.

We live in the states now but we are definitely going to come over for the first game at Falmer - wouldn't miss it for anything.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
So, we have Mick blackburn from Accrington then we move on the Blackburn/Albion links?

Been to Rovers a couple of times. Despite their long tradition, they were very much the same sort of club as Albion and I saw some cracking games up there. What really impressed me, in those days of 'police state' football, rovers gave away fans a whole end and you were left to your own devices, very few police or stewards, and there was no need as it was all so well segregated so watching footie at Ewood was a stress free environment hooligawise.

As for Mick at blackburn, the Scots , kosh at newcastle and all you other Northerners who support Albion, well you have my upmost thanks & respect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here