Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sally Gunnell

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Why oh why do the BBC waste our licence fee money on employing Sally Gunnell? She is the worst reporter by far at the Olympics. How about this for a question? She asked the failed triple jumper what he was going to do now - the response was 'I'm going home'! Doh!

And he was the biggest waste of tax payers and lottery money. All he had to do was put his size 10's on the white board. How blooody hard.

:nono:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
She is a useless interviewer and why does she always have to shout? She look must look rough as well. None of the athletes that she interviews can bear to look at her. Just watch the way they look everywhere except at her :)

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Icy Gull said:
She is a useless interviewer and why does she always have to shout? She look must look rough as well. None of the athletes that she interviews can bear to look at her. Just watch the way they look everywhere except at her :)

Funny you should say that because circa 1992 when she was winning medals, the BBC tried to make out that she was some kind of pin-up. For what? Throwing darts at?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe she's doing it because she's an ex-olympian herself, all the athletes know her and most look up to her and she has a bit of inside knowledge of athletics.

I'd rather she do it thatn that chubby guy of Working Lunch of one of the nobodies that is presenting the olympic shows at the moment.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Maybe she's doing it because she's an ex-olympian herself,

That is the only reason. Her interviewing technique is cringeworthy.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So would you rather have a great British athlete who has performed very well at the Olympics in the past and has a bit of enthusiasm for the whole thing or somebody picked purely because they are good at interviewing?

Got to go for Gunnell.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So would you rather have a great British athlete who has performed very well at the Olympics in the past and has a bit of enthusiasm for the whole thing or somebody picked purely because they are good at interviewing?

Got to go for Gunnell.

Personally I'd rather someone who was good at interviewing, same as I'd rather not see Ian Wright on a football panel great player that he was.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Well Garth Crooks has got away with it for years....

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Icy Gull said:
I'd rather not see Ian Wright on a football panel great player that he was.

Are you serious? Wright bought a bit of life to the Euro 2004 punditry and the world cup in 2002. The others just sit there like cardboard cut outs and mumble to eachother, when Wrighty and Hansen started having little disagreements over issues this summer the entertainment value rocketed.

wright.jpg

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
She is awful, that's for sure. but the BBC insist on having hiring people to do the broadcasting for who they are rather than any particular flair for the role. Until they change this process, the likes of Sally will be the norm.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The Guardian have been running a daily pisstake of Sally Gunnell's interviewing technique.

It does seem to be the trend that only recently-retired sportsmen and women get considered for presenting jobs now. It's hard to see how another "for the love of the sport" person like, say, Motty or Murray Walker, will ever get a chance now.

Got to go for Gunnell.
Why Gunnell?

Brendan Foster and Steve Cram have the same qualifications and do the job much better than her.

I was very impressed by the way they read the Women's Marathon and were telling us why Princess Paula wasn't going to get a medal at least 45 minutes before she dropped out.

I dread to think what Sally Gunnell would have done with a mobile camera crew at the 36km mark.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
To be fair to the beeb, she does appear to be the only weak link. The other ex athletes they have such as Cram, Jonathan Edwards, Sharon Davis and inparticular Michael Johnson all do a good job I think.

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
80's Seagull said:
To be fair to the beeb, she does appear to be the only weak link. The other ex athletes they have such as Cram, Jonathan Edwards, Sharon Davis and inparticular Michael Johnson all do a good job I think.

The only weak link? What about Craig Doyle? He is fecking useless!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Poor Sally! She was always nice to me when she popped into my Deli counter at Sainsburys.

Could be worse. The woman on 5 Live asking our triple jumpper....

radio5 woman - You must be disappointed to be eliminated so early. What happened out there?
Triple j - "Don't know"
Radio5 Woman - Well, red flag, red flag, red flag is what happened, how do you feel.:eek: :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here