Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saints fans taking some flack on the echo...wonderful!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's understandable that people want to have a go at SCC but frankly the best thing to do would be to just ignore them, acknowledging their existance just gives oxygen to their rapidly fading hopes of catching us or Bournemouth for that matter.

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
Why are so many people bothered about which is the bigger club or bigger team. Saints can be a bigger club than the Albion for all I care, I'll take the 10 point lead and sit atop the division thanks. Of course, if Saints is a bigger club/team doesn't that reflect very badly on them and super groovily on the Albion this season? Yes, it must do.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Why are so many people bothered about which is the bigger club or bigger team. Saints can be a bigger club than the Albion for all I care, I'll take the 10 point lead and sit atop the division thanks. Of course, if Saints is a bigger club/team doesn't that reflect very badly on them and super groovily on the Albion this season? Yes, it must do.

Yes you could argue that Wendy are a bigger club than SCC but does it change the situation ? Not in the slightest.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Some fans, some of ours included, are obsessed by 'bigness'. Of course Southampton and Wednesday are bigger than us, as are probably Huddersfield and Charlton. Ditto Reading and Palace. Who gives a shit? I'm bigger than all the Brighton players but I'm not better than any of them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would sincerely love it if Us and Bournemouth went up automatically and Orient beat Saints in the play off final!

Why would you want them to rake in a load of cash, from the play-offs. Let them finsih SEVENTH.

Y'know, for a supposed 'rival' club with similar aspirations to us, I don't see many Southampton fans on here giving it large, and I can't recall any animosity from them toward us.

Am I alone in feeling a slight embarrassment that our fans are deriding them and wishing them losses?

Frankly, I find them to be a pleasant lot as supporters, and since they are kinda local - they haven't exhibited any bad attitude towards us, generally. Orient, Chesterfield, Cardiff and Reading were other stories in the last decade. palace and pompey I can understand any disdain.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Some fans, some of ours included, are obsessed by 'bigness'. Of course Southampton and Wednesday are bigger than us, as are probably Huddersfield and Charlton. Ditto Reading and Palace. Who gives a shit? I'm bigger than all the Brighton players but I'm not better than any of them.

I wouldn't say obssessed with it, but it is on my mind when looking at other clubs - it's the old inferiority complex kicking in, something about not getting enough love as a child. Without wanting to cover tired old ground, in my book 'Bigness' comes down to crowd potential, not success or silverware, and with Southampton's population currently at 236k and Brighton and Hove's somewhere around 250k, not to mention the 1.2m population of Sussex as a whole, our potential/'bigness' is more than a match for theirs, so I take issue with your statement above Brovian me ole chum.

:wink:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I wouldn't say obssessed with it, but it is on my mind when looking at other clubs - it's the old inferiority complex kicking in, something about not getting enough love as a child. Without wanting to cover tired old ground, in my book 'Bigness' comes down to crowd potential, not success or silverware, and with Southampton's population currently at 236k and Brighton and Hove's somewhere around 250k, not to mention the 1.2m population of Sussex as a whole, our potential/'bigness' is more than a match for theirs, so I take issue with your statement above Brovian me ole chum.

:wink:
With the greatest of respect my amusing simian friend I don't think either population or 'potential' are the best guides. If you apply that logic to international football then both the USA and China are 'bigger' footballing nations than England and any victory by us over them counts as an upset. So whilst population and potential are factors to be taken into account I think others are more important such as history and silverware. In that respect Southampton have been, and still are, 'bigger' than us; historically they've (usually) been in a higher division than us, they've spent longer in the top flight, they've won the FA Cup and they've played in Europe.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
With the greatest of respect my amusing simian friend I don't think either population or 'potential' are the best guides. If you apply that logic to international football then both the USA and China are 'bigger' footballing nations than England and any victory by us over them counts as an upset. So whilst population and potential are factors to be taken into account I think others are more important such as history and silverware. In that respect Southampton have been, and still are, 'bigger' than us; historically they've (usually) been in a higher division than us, they've spent longer in the top flight, they've won the FA Cup and they've played in Europe.

We have only been in a higher division than Southampton for TWO seasons

Ever

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Pah, history schmistory. Different ball game now innit, we will have a stadium to match theirs.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Why would you want them to rake in a load of cash, from the play-offs. Let them finsih SEVENTH.

In fairness we wont need the cash if we fail to go up as Chambo, Lambert, Fonte, Lallana will all move on making us £10-15m. Not that money buys you success. :angry:

sfc1976

Feb 5, 2011
Y'know, for a supposed 'rival' club with similar aspirations to us, I don't see many Southampton fans on here giving it large, and I can't recall any animosity from them toward us.

Am I alone in feeling a slight embarrassment that our fans are deriding them and wishing them losses?

Frankly, I find them to be a pleasant lot as supporters, and since they are kinda local - they haven't exhibited any bad attitude towards us, generally. Orient, Chesterfield, Cardiff and Reading were other stories in the last decade. palace and pompey I can understand any disdain.

Thanks mate!! I've never experienced all this arrogance I must say. Most saints fans I talk to know full well we're pretty shite really.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Wouldn't it be good to contrive a draw on the last game of the season that stops them being promoted. OK I was only 5 at the time but it still hurts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here