Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sainsburys London Road RIP

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Tom Hark said:
I'm sure the council must have a grand game plan for London Road, but I'm equally sure I've not seen any details of one.

Anybody know what the current council thinking is?

THPP - I almost fell off my chair when I read that!!

The council doesn't do thinking, doesn't do strategy & certainly doesn't do "joined-up strategic thinking"!!

Why else are they in this mess with schools admissions and are still inviting huge developments to increase the population and make matters worse??

This may sound outlandish, but I think they should build an underground multi-story car-park under Preston Park (the Arabs build these in the desert), block off the southbound A23 other than car-park entrance & buses / taxis & run a tram link from the southern tip of Preston Park to the seafront, with all but the tramlines & northbound road pedestrianised.

It'll never happen, but there you have it.

Oct 25, 2003
i think their plan hinges on the success of the new open market.

they're hoping that the markets success will generally bring investment into the area

if it goes tits up, then london road is generally f***ed

i agree about pedestrianisation though- look how george street has improved

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
¡Cereal Killer! said:
oh, and the corner part of the Co-Op is being done up at the moment for the Travel Shop that used to be inside

The rest will become apartments, not the entire thing, but a fair proportion.

Developers have got their hands burnt in regards to the subdivision of existing large stores, Hanningtons site being the obvious example.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Sainsburys London Road RIP

Nobby's Betamax Video said:
THPP - I almost fell off my chair when I read that!!

The council doesn't do thinking, doesn't do strategy & certainly doesn't do "joined-up strategic thinking"!!

:shrug:

I just thought they might have a cunning plan :down:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Sainsburys London Road RIP

Tom Hark said:
:shrug:

I just thought they might have a cunning plan :down:

Well to be fair to that earlier critic, schools admission is a f***ing hard thing to master and the limited power of local govt. hardly gives them the remit to.

There COULD be a plan in the offing for London Road, someones just gotta have the balls to put their neck on the line for it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The New England Quarter has even got it's very own listed building. Well it will be, by the time the council get round to doing anything about it. Mystery fire, anyone? :lol:

brightonnewenglanddec20fi7.jpg

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
It was designed to accomodate an entire lorry, that's why the middle bit is so wide.

So fill a lorry FULL of petrol...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here