Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sainsbury Security Tag Chickens!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
A few weeks ago I collected an individual who'd half inched about £150.00 worth of chicken and steak from a supermarket in town, and asked her out of curiosity what she planned to do with them. She told me she could stand outside a certain pub in Brighton- I won't tell you the name, you could probably guess- and flog the whole lot in a couple of minutes.

Ooh, is it the Stabber Park Tavern? Or the Hikers' Rest?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wrong on both counts :lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
With modern technology you would think that it would be simple to extend the bar codes to incorporate a security tag thus making shoplifting much more difficult.

It doesnt stop some of the chavs in Asda Hollingbury walking around eating a chicken from the hot counter and giving it to their children also. Apparently ASDA or any company can do nothing about that until the person leaves the store because they may keep the wrapper and pay for it at the checkout.

RFIDs are the thing you are talking about, and in certain products they are already embedded in the packaging.

But all they do is set off an alarm at the end of the day.

The trend in London seems to be towards the automated check outs, even Boots in Oxford Street has them now. It seems that some stores are quite happy to write off the odd thing going missing because of them because of the money saved in checkout staff.

The expensive razors are interesting. In 2005 they were the number one shoplifted item in the UK, even beating Alcohol.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
2 years ago we looked after a pub near Kennington Police Station and every night there was young girls and boys coming in selling things for £1 from razor blades to batteries to condoms writing paper envelopes anything they could nick from the shops.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Due to a massive amount of students in my town (and being open 24/7), Tescos tag:

CDs
DVDs
Razor blades
Bottles of spirits
Bottles of wine

And, weirdest of all I thought...

CONDOMS

Adds even more to the whole embarrassment of buying them when the assistant has to fumble to remove them from the plastic tag box before scanning them; also means you can't go to the self checkout for them. Thank feck for Boots and its mostly male staff...

I remember the shops in Manchester used to put all the student-stealable stuff behind the counter, but weirdest of all was the instant coffee being kept behind there too in the Repsol garage around the corner and the nearby Spar. Never quite got that one.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Due to a massive amount of students in my town (and being open 24/7), Tescos tag:

CDs
DVDs
Razor blades
Bottles of spirits
Bottles of wine

And, weirdest of all I thought...

CONDOMS

Adds even more to the whole embarrassment of buying them when the assistant has to fumble to remove them from the plastic tag box before scanning them; also means you can't go to the self checkout for them. Thank feck for Boots and its mostly male staff...

I remember the shops in Manchester used to put all the student-stealable stuff behind the counter, but weirdest of all was the instant coffee being kept behind there too in the Repsol garage around the corner and the nearby Spar. Never quite got that one.

My aunt stayed stopped off a road side restaurant and needed the toilet as she left.

It was locked to stop theft, so they gave the key out to the customers.

Unfortunately the customers kept walking off with the key, so the owners placed very big key ring on it.

Well, a dustbin lid actually.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I got one of those tagged chickens the other day, the security man asked what I was doing with it. I said, roast potatoes, parsnips and sprouts.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nice joints of meat at £15 each are what the shoppies go for , normally noticeable by a bulge under their coats. When the meat has been put down their trousers it has to be thrown away as waste. Nicked meat is easy to sell especially on a Sunday , the majority of the thieves are selling it to buy a bag of smack. You even have to keep an eye on the reduced labels as customers peel them off and re-apply them to an item they want cheaper. At the moment we have reductions on clothing and this is a nightmare with reduced stickers appearing on new stock lines that are not reduced.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
RFIDs are the thing you are talking about, and in certain products they are already embedded in the packaging.

But all they do is set off an alarm at the end of the day.

The trend in London seems to be towards the automated check outs, even Boots in Oxford Street has them now. It seems that some stores are quite happy to write off the odd thing going missing because of them because of the money saved in checkout staff.

The expensive razors are interesting. In 2005 they were the number one shoplifted item in the UK, even beating Alcohol.

Self scan checkouts still need an employee to observe what is going on. Makes me laugh with some of the antics the customers get up to. Apart from watching , listening to the prompts and messages from the automated voice keeps you aware of when the customers are being "naughty".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here