Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe travelling tomorrow, everybody...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Britain 'braced for heavy storms'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6272193.stm

The Highways Agency has warned motorists to take extra care
Heavy storms are on their way to batter many parts of the UK, forecasters have warned.
Winds of up to 80mph coupled with downpours of rain could cause chaos for commuters during Thursday's morning rush hour.

Much of England, Wales and Northern Ireland will be hit by storms while Scotland is bracing itself for snow.

John Hammond from the BBC Weather Centre said: "People need to be prepared for real disruption."

Workers across Britain will wake up to gales and heavy downpours, he predicted.

Snow storms will hit southern Scotland first before moving up to the central belt in time for rush hour. The Highlands and Grampians can expect them later in the day.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, wind speeds will pick up throughout the day, reaching 60 to 70mph in some parts.

Wind and rain will be heaviest in the south of the country in the morning, but will pick up in Northern Ireland, Scotland and the north of England during the afternoon.

The Highways Agency has advised all motorists to take extra care and to plan their routes in advance.

South and west facing coastlines are expected to bear the brunt of the storms.

P&O Ferries reported delays on their crossings from Dover and have advised passengers due to sail from the port on 18 January not to travel.

But the damage could be most severe in inland areas which are less well-equipped to withstand extreme weather, Mr Hammond warned.

He said: "People need to keep an eye on forecasts and be careful when travelling."

Friday should be calmer, he added, but the following week could see the country in the grip of a cold snap.

Despite an unusually mild start to January, he warned that temperatures are likely to plummet beyond the weekend.

He added: "Next week will be the first real taste of winter for most of us.

"There is a possibility of snow and temperatures will be struggling to rise above freezing."

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I'm going on a trip in a boat from Portsmouth Harbour. It's called a minesweeper, so I should be ok:lolol:

John Reid, Secretary of State for Defence, is visiting the Naval Base tomorrow, so he should be pretty windswept for the interviews!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I've been on a minesweeper in a force 8 gale. We went from Shoreham harbour to the Channel Islands and back.

It was the old HMS Curzon (renamed HMS Fittleton which later sunk in the North Sea in 76) and as minesweepers are made of wooden hulls it bobbed about all over the place.
Take your ginger biscuits to combat sea sickness.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Emily's Mum said:
Cheers Yorkie. Mr Apples wanted to do a vindaloo for tea tonight:nono:

Bread and jam is a good meal to have beforehand as it tastes just as nice coming back up again. :lolol:

You'll be fine. Ginger biscuits are a good tip though.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Superphil said:
Hope it's not the wrong type of rain for the train

There's bound to be a few trees down or another landslide somewhere!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yippee the hose pipe ban has been lifted.

:jester:

gts big bruv

Apr 15, 2004
Tavistock
Yorkie said:
I've been on a minesweeper in a force 8 gale. We went from Shoreham harbour to the Channel Islands and back.

It was the old HMS Curzon (renamed HMS Fittleton which later sunk in the North Sea in 76) and as minesweepers are made of wooden hulls it bobbed about all over the place.
Take your ginger biscuits to combat sea sickness.

Minesweepers great ships in a gale They even roll on wet grass !!!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm getting fed up with this wind, So far it's broken one of my fence panels and i've lost half the upvc cladding off the front of my house. I'm begining to wonder how much of a house i'm going to have left at this rate.

D

Deleted member 2719

Just been out and mended one of my fence panels before it smashed to pieces on that side it is a Pompey neighbour and as we know not their not the brightest he had just nailed two 6 foot fence panels together and forgot to put a sturdy post between them.

:nono:

I hate Pompey.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Yorkie said:
Yippee the hose pipe ban has been lifted.

:jester:
Not here it hasn't.:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here