Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe Standing – YES – Poster for Sat 15 Oct v Preston. Show your support.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Laws change and I retired in 2001 some 15 years ago and my personal licence ran out in 2003 so I have no need to be up on the latest law changes but having said that I have never read anything about that law being changed. It may well have been.

Common sense tells you you haven't got it right.

The Amex stadium is, according to CAMRA, the largest real ale outlet in the UK (and by inference, possibly the world). So how can you not be allowed to drink alcohol at a football match?

The point which you're getting confused over is - and it was mentioned earlier in the thread - is that you can't drink alcohol in sight of a football pitch at a venue which is hosting professional football (Tier Five of English football and upwards). It is part of the Football Spectators' Act 1989, and was brought in (rushed in) in the aftermath of Hillsborough.

These laws do not apply to any other sports, and it's about time the laws for drinking at football matches were changed, but that's another matter.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Outrageous. Do you know how difficult it would be to post the names of random players we should be signing during matches at the Albion if you had to stand?

Selfish, selfish selfish attitude of yours, HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME.
But sir, I agree that BG should not have to stand. I just don't agree with his view that others should not be allowed to stand. Should Chris Hughton also have to sit down? How about the players, can they still stand?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My 3 sons went to a game I think it was Crewe and all being good pool players cleaned up in the local pubs which upset the locals and walking to the ground they were arrested for trying to enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol. They were told by the BHA pc it was a seldom used offense so they pleaded guilty and received a conditional discharge with no mention of a ban as neither the club nor Sussex Police requested it.
Fascinating.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Surely it would look better if the back 10 rows of the North Stand all held up the poster in unison. Would be more of an impact than 200 spread about in a stadium of 29000
Get someone in the back rows to print off 200/300 and distribute them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
My 3 sons went to a game I think it was Crewe and all being good pool players cleaned up in the local pubs which upset the locals and walking to the ground they were arrested for trying to enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol. They were told by the BHA pc it was a seldom used offense so they pleaded guilty and received a conditional discharge with no mention of a ban as neither the club nor Sussex Police requested it.

sounds like your sons told you they were arrested for "walking toward" a sports stadium having consumed alcohol.Did they add bit unfair daddy dont you think.

one day they might tell you what really happened that day that led to their arrest after they went on a pub crawl and hustled a load of locals.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Astounded by some of the posts.
After years of fighting some of the most ridiculous snobby nimbyism of all time and won we have fans that don't want safe standing even though it will not affect them in any way whatsoever, and even going against the club giving fans a choice and being the first to provide a different experience.
Safe standing will not disturb any bats.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
sounds like your sons told you they were arrested for "walking toward" a sports stadium having consumed alcohol.Did they add bit unfair daddy dont you think.

one day they might tell you what really happened that day that led to their arrest after they went on a pub crawl and hustled a load of locals.

That came from PC Balkham not from them and was the reason neither the club nor the police asked for a ban, which usually follows conviction. As I said I have never read any report of the law being overturned or recinded, which I assume it must have to allow us and other clubs to sell beer. Perhaps somebody more PC savy than me can find it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Astounded by some of the posts.
After years of fighting some of the most ridiculous snobby nimbyism of all time and won we have fans that don't want safe standing even though it will not affect them in any way whatsoever, and even going against the club giving fans a choice and being the first to provide a different experience.
Safe standing will not disturb any bats.

Sorry but you don't know that it won't affect those that sit. There is the question of the costs of conversion and who bears that. If the club said that the cost of conversion will be clawed back in ticket prices from only those that want to stand then fair enough but the probability we will all have to take a hit in prices.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wont support it because I see no justification in standing areas. It will take us back to the dark hooligan days over a period of time in my opinion, so I say do not allow it. It was abolished for a reason.

You really don't know what you're talking about. That post is complete and utter nonsense.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
Not having read all of the gumf on this, a few initial queries:

1) OI, you're standing in my spot pal.

2) Can someone decide one week to join in since it seems the better option?

3) Is it designated standing?

4) Bloke decides to sneak his mate from seating in because it's so much better standing?

Dunno really.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What is wrong and why is it nonsense?

In the past few years we've played Peterborough, Brentford and Burton. All of whom still have terraces. Nobody died, nobody got arrested and nobody had a fight.

Have you actually seen the new safe standing areas? There are rails along each row. It would be virtually impossible to have a ruck.

resizedimage600337-Posh-group-in-AWD-Arena.jpg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Sorry but you don't know that it won't affect those that sit. There is the question of the costs of conversion and who bears that. If the club said that the cost of conversion will be clawed back in ticket prices from only those that want to stand then fair enough but the probability we will all have to take a hit in prices.

Fair points, but I think the club would be silly to raise ticket prices when we have quite a few empty seats as it is. I also think that the people who sit and want to stay seated will not want to pay extra (they won't stand for it, tee hee) so how the club would go about paying for it, I have no idea.
But I still think we should have safe standing.
Note to self, think it through.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I for one 1 would not like the return of standing as I prefer seating provided everybody sits in their seats. Probably an age things but I would not support standing.

It's not asking for the whole ground to be made into a standing area only, just certain stands or even just a certain area within a stand (Back x number of rows) so there will be plenty of opportunity for those who want to to be able to sit and watch games

The debate and campaign is about choice, and there are those who wish to stand at games (and often do now, against the T's & C's of any Premier League / Championship football ground) Whats the harm of allowing fans a choice?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the past few years we've played Peterborough, Brentford and Burton. All of whom still have terraces. Nobody died, nobody got arrested and nobody had a fight.

Have you actually seen the new safe standing areas? There are rails along each row. It would be virtually impossible to have a ruck.

View attachment 78578

It is my opinion that standing will take us back to the days of fighting as we are becoming a violent nation once again. and who wants that?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It is my opinion that standing will take us back to the days of fighting as we are becoming a violent nation once again. and who wants that?

well you would need to stand to have a scrap, its nigh on impossible to do sitting down :moo:

but apart from that ........are you on a complete wind up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here