Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sadness North of the Border as Scottish Tennis Player Takes a Shoeing in Final

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Murray is a fantastic player and improving.

The one good thing was that that fat tw*t Alex Salmond had nothing to show his face for, and would have abandoned sly plans for reflected glory ... saying this leads the way to full independence.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
So why are the British so unbelievably shit at tennis? We moan about not having won anything in football for 46 years but this tennis lot are a shambles if they haven't won wimbledon in, however many years it is. AND you get to enter more than one representative.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
So why are the British so unbelievably shit at tennis? We moan about not having won anything in football for 46 years but this tennis lot are a shambles if they haven't won wimbledon in, however many years it is. AND you get to enter more than one representative.

Because basically its still a middle class sport played by middle class people on amateur/corinthian principles without the infrastructure necessary to create world beaters like the spanish, australians, americans and eastern europeans

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
People say that a lot. Which era, exactly? When Sampras was around? I oppose that opinion. He hasn't won one, I don't think he will win one. But he was fantastic today, much better than his previous finals and he has nothing to be ashamed about.

They kept saying it about Henman...if he had played in the era of wooden rackets and there had been no Sampras around..he would have won Wimbledon. Like you Ninja, I just can't accept these arguments. You have to beat those around you in your era. If you can't, you are not good enough.
Murray played about as well as he could and still lost. Federer said he would win one Major but I'm not convinced. As Fed crankedf up the pressure Murray started to lose it and Fed knew he had him.
I wish Murray well but I fear we will be having the same argument in 5 years time.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
why are there so many people who dont want to see a uk player........finally win wimbledon??????? dont quite get it. after all these years surely??

Because muggy english people are pretty much the only ones who do the " support the fellow brit" at sports , happily this is dying out, the scots and welsh never support us and continually make snide comments which they then claim is " banter" when fronted.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
They kept saying it about Henman...if he had played in the era of wooden rackets and there had been no Sampras around..he would have won Wimbledon.

Nobody ever said it about Henman. He was a decent top 10 player for a long time, but nowhere near the top in his era, or any other. He made the most of his relatively modest skills, but he was never going to win a slam. Winning in Tashkent a couple of times is not quite the same.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I actually felt for him, he seemed to be in control until the unexpected break in the 2nd set which cost him the set. Roof on and it went downhill from there.

Was his mother dressed in tartan, which I have never seen her wear before? No doubt she was gonna milk the Scottish bit if he won, or is that too cynical?

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I actually felt for him, he seemed to be in control until the unexpected break in the 2nd set which cost him the set. Roof on and it went downhill from there.

Was his mother dressed in tartan, which I have never seen her wear before? No doubt she was gonna milk the Scottish bit if he won, or is that too cynical?
I'm pretty sure she's english, horrendous old trout whatever though!

edit , just googled her and she is an oatmeal savage after all.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

We won Wimbledon on Saturday

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
We won Wimbledon on Saturday

you know what I mean though. I don't know anything about tennis really, was a genuine question. Seems weird it's been THAT long.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Because basically its still a middle class sport played by middle class people on amateur/corinthian principles without the infrastructure necessary to create world beaters like the spanish, australians, americans and eastern europeans

aha, gotcha!

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester

aha, gotcha!

Also it's been stated before - I admit I haven't investigated to check this out - that the Lawn Tennis Association distribute the funding for tennis clubs up and down the land, not on the basis of competitive results of their players, as is done in countries which are more succesful in tennis, but on the level of the facilities provided, which keeps some clubs more elite and exclusive than others and provides no incentive for them to really push their players or take on kids with a natural gift whose parents can't afford the full fees. In other words an old boys network. Change that and we might get somewhere in a few years.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

So where is the next Aussie champion then ???, where is the next US champion then ??? you can have all the infrastructure in the world but you also need the talent.

and where is the infrastructure in eastern europe then.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Nobody ever said it about Henman. He was a decent top 10 player for a long time, but nowhere near the top in his era, or any other. He made the most of his relatively modest skills, but he was never going to win a slam. Winning in Tashkent a couple of times is not quite the same.

Excuse me TD but it was often mentioned. Henman was 4 times a Wimbledon semi-finalist, losing at least twice to Sampras. He also made the semi's in other Slams ( Australia ? ) He held 4th spot in the world rankings for some time and missed his opportunity in the 2000 semi v Goran Iv etc (after rain delays....sounds familiar )
Taking sets off Sampras at Wimbledon would be all I would expect of Murray as well.
Murray is the better player but at the moment has the same number of slams as Henman.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I would welcome Murray winning any final however despite his improvement in recent years there are three players ahead of him which makes it unlikely,he is earning millions playing a game, this pays the bills,so no reason for tears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here