Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sad News

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
I only ever knew Dave / ROD through the Albion, rather than cricket.

He was a lovely bloke and will be sorely missed in various Brighton hostelries as well as on our travels in the future.

RIP mate.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Only knew Dave for a couple of years, but a top bloke with great sense of humour.

Away trips will not be the same without ROD telling me which ale to try next.

Will be sadly missed. :bowdown:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
very sad at the young age of 62
RIP

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
From the Worthing Herald;

Tributes to Worthing Chippingdale club president Dave White

WORTHING CHIPPINGDALE Cricket Club's president Dave White, aged 62, died while batting in a friendly against Crawley Down on Sunday, July 29.

Chippingdale chairman Paul Baker wrote this tribute -

AT THE weekend Worthing lost one of its local cricketing legends.

While batting for his beloved Chippingdale Cricket Club in a friendly match against Crawley Down, 62-year-old Dave White suddenly collapsed on the field of play and died, despite valiant resuscitative attempts from members of both teams and the paramedics.

In a career with Chipps spanning 41 years, having joined in 1966 from Worthing NALGO, Dave had been the club's president for the past 16 years and, this year was the Sunday captain where, as ever, he was nurturing the club's many youngsters.

His name is synonymous with Chipps and he was one of the most admired and popular local cricketers.

As Chipps' key strike bowler for many years, he took more than 2,000 wickets at an average of 14.11 per wicket and at a run rate of only 2.74 per over having bowled more than 10,000 overs for the Club.

With the bat, he was often a frustrated but selfless batsman who enjoyed scoring more than 7,500 runs.

He was always very modest about his own performances but the first to congratulate others on their successes.

Dave looked after and encouraged everyone with his warmth and generosity.

He always volunteered to drive to matches, was more than generous when at the bar and was the supplier of many cigarettes to 'occasional' smokers.

Dave lived a true sporting life where, in addition to Chipps, he was a stalwart regular on the annual Highdown Tour having just completed his 33rd consecutive trip.

He also toured with Pathfinder CC and occasionally played for Ferring CC when Chipps did not have a game.

He was a competent darts and bar billiards player in his time and he also enjoyed playing table tennis and tennis to a good standard.

In addition, Dave was also a lifelong Seagulls and Sussex CCC fan, travelling all over the country to support his county roots.

He was delighted to have heard the news during the week about Falmer and the fact that Brighton were, at last, going to get their own ground.

Fond memories of Dave include his 'Bobby Charlton' wisp of hair which flopped across his face every time he bowled, his nickname of 'Doggy' White because of his affinity with dogs, huge baggy jumpers he wore in the '80s fondly named 'tents' and the cry of 'where's Dave's diary' heard at the end of every committee meeting when the date for the next one had to be planned around his sporting calendar.

There will be a minute's silence before the start of the next few Chipps games at all levels and players will wear black armbands as a mark of respect.

Chippingdale Cricket Club will not be the same without Dave White — goodbye Mr Chipps you will be sadly missed by everyone.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man...

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Sad news, i knew him from away games, the sort of friendly, happy, guy who's always around.

Just another to join the many looking down on us from above, at falmer.

RIP Old Dave.

Little ROD aka ROR

Aug 6, 2007
Guys, I've haven't been to an Albion game since I don't know when. ROD is my brother, and these tributes are quite overwhelming!! I thank Chips for including a link to this site, as I wasn't aware of its existence. I know Dave really enjoyed his visits to both the Withdene (is this the correct spelling?) Stadium and around the country. I always thought he was nuts - the 5.45 AM train from West Worthing to meet up with his mates in London. You guys made it all worthwhile, I'm sure. I salute you all.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The funeral took place yesterday afternoon and was watched by over 300 people packed into the church in West Worthing, with his mother and family at the front. People from all walks of Daves life were joined together, from his religious, cricket and the albion.

A moving day which started with his coffin being paraded in the church with his cricket gloves and baggy green hat on top, a great personal touch.

Even the wakes in the various public houses of tarring where great, everyone knew him, and every place laid on food, in true ROD style, everything had to be eaten

Highly emotional but a fitting celebration of a true local legend!.

DC Rules

Could It Be Forever?
Sep 19, 2006
My son plays for the Chipps Colts in U14s, and had played for the Sunday team with Dave the week prior to his death. Although my son is only 14, Dave took time to make sure he felt part of the adult team (even if his directions to get us to the ground got us lost!) and my son was sad to hear the news (we were away on holiday at the time and unable to attend the funeral).

RIP Dave

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He sounds a top bloke. Such a shame at a young age.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We had a minutes silence for Dave before my game today [Parham Park v Worthing Foresters], as did many many games across the county this weekend.

That is all.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Great bloke and a real gentleman. I didn't know him as well as some but will miss him and think that people like ROD make supporting the Albion worthwhile. Today's game against Hampshire was exciting and top quality: Dave would have loved it.

Tony the Pony

Jul 7, 2003
Littlehampton
Following Dave Whites funeral last Wednesday his family have decided to honour his memory by scattering his Ashes at the Rotary on the ground where he spent many happy hours playing his beloved cricket.

This will take place on the East wicket this Saturday, 18th August at 8pm after Chipps' Sussex Invitation 2nd eleven match.

The family have advised that anyone who knew Dave is welcome to attend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here