Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sacked

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Once - from a pub job in Liverpool, in my student days. Caught bang to rights, undercharging my mates. Not big or clever, really.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was fired as a temp from the Guardian for nipping on Hotmail checking for any news of my mother's cancer operation that day. The end of my career in journalism, or lefty filing as i was doing whilst there for a day and a half.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That's Partridge-esque, reminiscent of the time Alan sacked all of his staff at Pertree Productions. I believed he locked them in a room and sacked them over the intercom (apart from the lovely Jill, who he took to an owl sanctuary and then sacked later that night).

I'm not sure he got that far did he? Didn't he get repulsed by the chocolate sauce and the deal was not done?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Once - from a pub job in Liverpool, in my student days. Caught bang to rights, undercharging my mates. Not big or clever, really.

Thing is, did you genuinely think you were being "big" or "clever"? I don't think that phrase really works a lot of the time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thing is, did you genuinely think you were being "big" or "clever"? I don't think that phrase really works a lot of the time.

Well, it seemed quite clever at the time. I worked Friday nights. My mates would spend the night in there, so it was still like a night out for me, but I got paid for it. Plus, in return for all the 'discounts' they enjoyed on Fridays, they bought all my drinks when we went out on Saturday. It was a BRILLIANT arrangement.

But in HINDSIGHT, if the (horrible) boss had called the police, rather than just handng me my coat, it might not have seemed very clever at all.

Don't do it, kids.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not sacked because we left before we would have definitely got sacked. My first job after leaving 6th form was in a warehouse that took in all unsold VHS cassettes, wiped them and repackaged them as blank videos for re-sale. Part of the process was passing the tape through an oven thing that rendered the stickers on the tape easy to remove. The boss was a total prick to everyone, refused to pay on a couple of occasions , made you work all hours etc. Anyway, he had a Wrangler jeep that had a hard, removable top. We were working there for 3 weeks of very good weather and he had the hard top of the jeep under a tarp in the warehouse.

We had a huge shipment of "Alladin" VHS to process and for some reason took to peeling off the bright pink stickers and placing them on his hard top. After about 3 weeks we lifted the tarp off completely and to our horror (I dunno why we were surprised but just didn't think we had gone that far) saw that about 80% of the thing was completely covered in bright pink stickers. We replaced the tarp and all 4 of us went up and resigned on the spot to avoid the inevitable arse kicking and sacking.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i got sacked 4 weeks ago , apparently i had lost the support of my sub contractors which is mighty queer seeing as i just went away for a golf week-end with most of them and quite a few of them said they had been sent e-mails by the new micro -manager Craig ( two faced weazel) from oxford who thanked them for their work previously but said that all future work would be award on a three quote basis only.

could the fact that my employer put me on profit share incentive over four years ago and currently owes me 45 k on top of my wages have anything to do with it............i'm going to ruin the bell-end.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Well, it seemed quite clever at the time. I worked Friday nights. My mates would spend the night in there, so it was still like a night out for me, but I got paid for it. Plus, in return for all the 'discounts' they enjoyed on Fridays, they bought all my drinks when we went out on Saturday. It was a BRILLIANT arrangement.

But in HINDSIGHT, if the (horrible) boss had called the police, rather than just handng me my coat, it might not have seemed very clever at all.

Don't do it, kids.

I did it, got caught and the police were called. Got cautioned, and thus ended my embryonic life of crime.

Thing is: they suspended me on full pay whilst going through the sacking paperwork and I had a tax return in the same week, so I somehow ended up 'richer' than I'd ever been.

But yeah - don't do it kids.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I got sacked from my 1st ever job for going to the cup final replay!!!
Tickets for the replay went on sale on the Monday morning, I turned up at work in the afternoon and said I had an exam at school that morning!

They asked if I had any more exams that week, thinking I would need to leave early on the Thursday to get to Wembley, I said I had one on Thursday afternoon. They phoned the school and were quite rightly told I had finished all my exams! So having sussed me out I was given the choice of the cup final or my job!!!

This was in 1983 so was a no brainer for me and would do it again tomorrow even though we did lose 4-0

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Got sacked from an engineering company in my twenties. I was in charge of doing DSU assessments for about 400 people. I got so bored I just stopped going in. About a month later I got sacked by a hand delivered letter. It wasn't unreasonable on their part.

Nibble, I think I may have had that job after you, late 2004.
Your initials aren't CK are they? Loads of DSU forms with a person with them initials on!
Your boss would have had initials MS.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I was sacked from Joe Lyons at the bottom of St James's Street when I was 17.

I had this urge to stress test the dumb waiter that took dirty crockery up to the kitchens on the top floor and returned clean crockery to the ground floor. So, from the kitchens, I overloaded the dumb waiter with about twice its normal capacity of china and hit the down button.

The lift arrived at speed on the groundfloor and hit the buffers, the weight snapped the two wooden shelves allowing the crockery to meet with its final destiny. The manageress opened the doors to a cascade of broken plates and cups which spilled out onto the floor.

I was summoned and sacked.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nibble, I think I may have had that job after you, late 2004.
Your initials aren't CK are they? Loads of DSU forms with a person with them initials on!
Your boss would have had initials MS.

Hahahah! Yep, that's me! Well I never! Sorry for leaving you all that work mate! How long did you last or are you still there? Mott Macdonald yeah?

collins91

Jan 21, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I've been a victim of the modern age and lost a job because of something I posted on twitter. Was working at a coffee shop and was verbally abused by a miserable customer because his cappuccino wasn't frothy enough (even though it was pretty damn frothy) and vented my feelings via social media and got the sack because of it.

I was not sacked but did the same thing about some of my colleagues. It was stupid and i know now not to do that again. scraped it with a final written warning. These days it's best just to take all the shit and not say anything. I was very lucky considering what i wrote. Was a little confused when the person taking my disciplinary was also the person i was writing about.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Mate of mine work the bar at the suite in the late 70's - my round, 6 pints, gave my mate a fiver and he gave me a tenner for my change.

Didn't last long mind .....

And yes, in those days £5 was enough for 6 pints of larger ....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mate of mine work the bar at the suite in the late 70's - my round, 6 pints, gave my mate a fiver and he gave me a tenner for my change.

Didn't last long mind .....

I never went that far! It was more like, they'd order 6 drinks, and I might forget to put a couple of them through.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Wimpy (or was it Wimpey) Bar. I think I was about 15 or 16. Part time evening job.

"Asked to leave" is how I shall put it. We were allowed one free meal per session, which I rather abused on a couple of occasions.

Seeing as I was paid 50p an hour I wasn't too upset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here