Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sack the Board

Oct 25, 2003
The vast majority of kids can bend a ball etc and do keepy uppies but cant do the basics like kick with both feet, tackle, pass, shoot and head the ball properly. Until that is sorted out we will struggle. Also schools have got to bring back competetive matchers at all ages, irrespective of what the politically correct say.

correct, players on the continent are just generally more technically gifted than english players (look at croatia)

english players rely on pace and strength

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I'm confused, at the start of the thread you are complaininig about the number of foreigners in the Premier League and now you name 2 foreigners as potential managers bit hypocritical isn't it.

It is not the number of foreigners that is wrecking the national team it is a combination of many factors but essentially it boils down to 1 thing football in this country is now big business and as such is run to maximize profile in the short term. This does not help from the sporting perspective, wait until the profiles drop and then things may change, until then get used to national failure and being programmed to believe the Premiership is the best thing since sliced bread.

What are you on? I'm talking about imposing restrictions on clubs that they need to have 6 homegrown players in their first team.

Out of all top clubs in the Premier League, only one club has consistently supported and encouraged producing home grown talent, Manchester United. They are still doing it now.

Since when was the last time we promoted our own managers? Not a single English manager manages the top 4. They are all on the same level as Steve McLaren. Won something worthless or f*** all.

This seems to imply that the FA is the governing body that presides over the Premier League.

I'd suggest that it's the financial big boys in the Premier League who are controlling the FA.

The likes of Abramovich and Glazer are very happy to see the FA weak and incompetent. They like it that way and they'll keep it that way.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
:glare:

Attachments

• ist2_580159_no_ball_games.jpg
    ist2_580159_no_ball_games.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 94

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am glad to see that Uni is teaching Adrie a lot about employment law and common sense.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Out of all top clubs in the Premier League, only one club has consistently supported and encouraged producing home grown talent, Manchester United. They are still doing it now.

Incidentally, a massive SIX of the twenty eight strong Manchester United first team squad are a product of their youth setup. Two of those are now in their thirties, a third is pushing it and the other three are lucky to make the bench.

Oct 25, 2003
in theory though, could we not also put a limit on non-eu players?

or am i right in thinking that they previously had this, and it lead to the whole 'fake passport' thing?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
In 1974 - when most of the league was made up of British players we didn't qualify

In 1978 - when most of the league was made up of British players we didn't qualify

In 1984 - when most of the league was made up of British players we didn't qualify

In 1983 no one died
In 1984 no one died
In 1985 no one died
In 1986 no one died
In 1987 no one died
In 1988 someone died
In 1989 no one died
In 1990 no one died...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob1rYlCpOnM

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
ade...

they are not allowed to have quota's. Its the LAW!!!

Here's where I get confused. In MLS the American teams must have 11 American players out of their 18 players and the Canadian team must have 11 Canadians out of their 18 players. Does MLS fall under the authority of the FA (I thought it did). If so what is the difference is there an all governing FA and then seperate FAs within each country? I've never kept all this straight.

Either way it would seem the precedent is there to have a quota?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
In 1974 - when most of the league was made up of British players we didn't qualify

In 1978 - when most of the league was made up of British players we didn't qualify

In 1984 - when most of the league was made up of British players we didn't qualify

We should go back to the proper footballing days of the 1930 and 1934 World Cups: when we didn't bother entering because we already knew we were the best team in the world and didn't feel the need to prove it to any Johnny Foreigners...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think its clear there are too many foreign players - its one thing having some excellent quality overseas players, that certainly raises the standard of the league and should improve our players. But its got to the stage where there are just too many, and the young English players with potential just aren't playing any more.

Take Keiran Richardson - clearly a player with potential but one who hardly played a game in the three or four years he was in the United first team squad. How was he ever going to improve to the level where he could be seriously considered an international player? Same happened to Wright-Phillips at Chelsea, is happening to Theo Walcott at the moment, and even more established players like Bent, Defoe and Crouch play very few games. Zamora, Pennant, Sidwell, Nugent, Wes Brown should be starting every week in the Premiership but they're only considered as squad players

How come they can limit overseas players in cricket but not football?

TYhey don't. ts just a conveniencce that there aren't many croatians and frenchman who play the game

Thus they can limit overseas players as they are mostly from non EU contries and the law that appliyes to EU citizens dooesn't apply to many of them

Here's where I get confused. In MLS the American teams must have 11 American players out of their 18 players and the Canadian team must have 11 Canadians out of their 18 players. Does MLS fall under the authority of the FA (I thought it did). If so what is the difference is there an all governing FA and then seperate FAs within each country? I've never kept all this straight.

Either way it would seem the precedent is there to have a quota?

MLS operates under US law. the FA operate in UK and therefore EU law applies :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here