Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sack or hauled over the coals? You decide……..(not really as decision already made)

Shown the door or bollocking?

• Shown door

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Bollocking

Votes: 66 81.5%

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The cynical might think that there might be other issues or reasons in the background that have led to his bosses looking for an excuse to get rid.

For the avoidance of doubt, that doesn't have to mean something sinister - he may just have fallen out with the wrong person. It's also possible that this is the final straw after some (off air) comments making people think he's a bit of a dinosaur.

If his slate is entirely clean aside from this, it would seem unduly harsh to just bin him off.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
If I were to say it in the office? A written warning from HR and a sensitivity course. Say it on companies social media, I'm getting sacked. Thats the difference here

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They're Australian so it's okay.

It's actually funny, Bit like women who complain that men are bed-ridden whenever they are hit by the sniffles. Sometimes folk need to start living and realise that not all humour is designed to either be literal or nasty.

However, given the circumstance, it is inappropriate. There is a time and place. So he was very unprofessional. I'd give him an absolute bollicking if it was not a regular happening and then stick him with a female commentator who might just keep reminding him of it for a little while.

There is a difference between light hearted and offensive. Sadly, in the new age of Liberal Puritanism we seem to have lost that.
The thing is, as we have seen on this thread, woke lefties think a bollocking is sufficient. Nobody says the sacking is appropriate*.

And the people who have sacked him will not be woke lefties. They will be risk-averse conservative careerist media managers who, themselves, probably cheat on their wives (or would like to if the opportunity were to arise). People whose first reaction to anything is to ask 'what should we be seen to be doing about this?', rather than 'what should we do about this?'.

So please spare me the culture wars. There is no such thing as culture wars, merely people who oppose culture wars, thereby creating a culture war in their own head.

*Although it is quite funny, to be fair. He can do is make up in the mornings, now, while wifey goes out to earn the bread.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
I mean, GENERALLY speaking, he’s not bloody wrong is he?! The AVERAGE woman will take longer to ‘get ready’ than the average bloke. It’s undeniably true! The world’s gone soft. You simply can’t make generalisations at all any more can you! 🙄

That said, given the state of the world, and the fact I like my job, I am obv VERY careful about what I say and do, so I wouldn’t have said it, personally, but no one can stop me thinking it! 🖕🏻

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Over reaction to a light-hearted comment like this just gives fuel to anti-woke wankers like Farage and Anderson. It’ll do the progressive agenda far more harm than good.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
television is no place to make jokes.

Surely this fella lives in the world and knows that this kind of stuff is not tolerated these days.

Silly billy

sacking him seems a bit harsh, surely a bit of training and a warning is more appropriate.

Unless of course its not a first offence.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
soldiers stabbed , women police assaulted.............olympics commentator makes a faux pas......for f*** sake ...i fuckin give up.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Can't say anything anymore because people get offended far too easily. 😭😭😭😭 Poomp poomp.

Just because people find things offensive, doesn't make it offensive. I wish people would stop saying..... "That'offensive........what you should be saying is " I find that offensive"..............It's personal to you and feeling are personal. We're not all bed wetters and are not easily offended !!!

Worlds gone nuts❄️❄️❄️

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I voted bollocking. However, if he was already on a warning or refused to acknowledge there was any problem with what he said then sacking would be the only real option.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If your profession is to commentate on sport for a living, and the best you can do is make flippant, outdated, sexist remarks about female athletes who have just won an Olympic gold, it is probably the case that you're not good enough to do that job anymore and should be moved on to allow for a better person to take the reigns.

It's a dream job and should be held to a higher account than we normally would.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240729_124013_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240729_124013_Photos.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 49

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Can't say anything anymore because people get offended far too easily. 😭😭😭😭 Poomp poomp.

Just because people find things offensive, doesn't make it offensive. I wish people would stop saying..... "That'offensive........what you should be saying is " I find that offensive"..............It's personal to you and feeling are personal. We're not all bed wetters and are not easily offended !!!

Worlds gone nuts❄️❄️❄️

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
When your slightly dodgy uncle says something like this at a family gathering (thinking he's being hilarious), it's worthy of some quietly raised eyebrows, perhaps an audible sigh and a short period of embarassed silence. When a highly paid professional commentator says this while at work, commenting to a global audience on top-end women's sport, it demonstrates a level of sheer incompetence that is fully deserves being shuffled out of the job to make way for someone that is still capable of thinking before talking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here