Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

s it safe to replace my 700 mA phone charger with a 1000 mA one?

(1st word should read Is)
I have a new phone, a Vairytouch/Vegas model which uses a mini USB port for charging via a 700 mA charger. I have an existing 1000 mA (1 Amp) charger from a Tmobile Vario which uses the same port; would this be too powerful to use with the the new phone?
My concern is prompted by the fact that the 700 mA is not strong enough to start charging the Vario from flat, leading to the assumption that the 1 Amp charger might harm the smaller battery.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you do do it then at least make sure you're there - at least you'll smell the smoke !!!!!

If you do do it then at least make sure you're there - at least you'll smell the smoke !!!!!

If this is a possibility, then I can only assume those multi-phone chargers you can buy with various adaptors are low powered, and therefore couldn't charge a completely flat battery designed to be used with a higher rated charger.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yes. The phone will only draw its required amperage, the mA figure is the maximum.

One that needs a 1000mA charger won't draw from empty on a 700mA as you've seen - but vice versa is fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here