Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryanair to Dublin advice

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Planning on going to Dublin for a couple of nights next week with the missus- was looking around at flights and the only planes to Ireland from Luton, the closest airport to where I live by far, seem to be with Ryanair.
Now, the price for 2 return tickets is £70, which is just hideously cheap, so I can't help but wonder whether there are catches or whether they are simply cheap and cheerful. Has anyone had any experience with them and would you recommend/discourage?
Cheers.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If I were going by myself I'd consider Ryanair but go with the missus? Not a chance. It will put you both in such a bad mood it's worth an extra £30 each to find another carrier. I've never met such rudeness and disorganisation than Ryanair. From top to bottom there's a culture of resentment with that airline.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Use them all the time. Catch is the tax when they advertise flights for a pound. And they add on admin fee's and charge you for checking bags in. If you have a small carry bag only it's fine. The t+c's mean you can't cancel, reschedule or transfer names, even typo's.

It's just cheap and uncheerful, no allocated seating so is a free for all. It's a quick flight.

Personally though, I don't use anyone else when flying home.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Planning on going to Dublin for a couple of nights next week with the missus- was looking around at flights and the only planes to Ireland from Luton, the closest airport to where I live by far, seem to be with Ryanair.
Now, the price for 2 return tickets is £70, which is just hideously cheap, so I can't help but wonder whether there are catches or whether they are simply cheap and cheerful. Has anyone had any experience with them and would you recommend/discourage?
Cheers.

Does that include the taxes they add on at the end? Does it include the extra £15 each for a bag? Does it include the £10 they charge for the privilege of actually paying for it all?

Go with Aer Lingus, it is so worth the extra £30 or so. Every time I fly with Ryanair I swear it will be the last time I do it.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
This is what I was thinking, probably wouldn't be the best way to start off a weekend with the missus having to deal with the inevitable shite you are going to get with a flight that is that cheap.
The only real appeal of it is the convenience of getting out of Luton really, I'd much rather pay a bit more for better service. If it's really that bad, I suppose there is no point saving half an hour of driving time in exchange for being in completely crap mood.
Cheers for the advice, think I'll be going Aer Lingus from Heathrow instead.

Wexford Gull

Jun 22, 2007
Wexford,Ireland
Agree with posts above.
Cheap and Uncheerful, Check for extra charges etc.

If going alone Ryanair is good enough but if taking the wjfe pay the extra and go Aer Lingus it will be worth it to keep the missus in a better mood.

Lychpole

Mar 2, 2009
Air lingus had some £0 return fares from gatwick last night for next week- add on taxes and came to about £50 return. Avoid Ryanair - so many extras to pay including cc charge and online boarding pass fee !!

---
I am here: Google Maps

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I use Ryanair when flying back to the UK on my own but don't anymore if the family are with me.

There are so many extras that the 70 quid price rapidly goes up and the whole experience will probably leave you feeling generally narked off. The whole stampede to get on the plane (even if you've stumped up for priority seating), the lack of legroom...it's just not a relaxing way to travel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here