Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Harley. I just don't get it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
First couple of appearances he was very good with some quality touches and vision and that free kick. Seems to of lost it now but I remember Exeter fans saying he will do this before having a stormer again. He is due to step up

No need to panic just yet

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Not from where I was sitting .... after 20 minutes of that game we lost the plot and they over ran us in midfield

definitely

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I was at Bristol and he was dreadful. The thing is he just appears to be lolling around and certainly not busting a gut. I thought he was there to bring CMS into the game, cover off behind the front two and be the one that was setting everything up - genuine question .. am I mistaken? All I see from him is getting the ball and giving it back or sending misplaced passes straight to the opposition.

Yes he's only played 4 games and comparing him to Bridcutt is wrong given Bridcutt had no experience at all - we paid good money for this guy and apart from a great free kick I've seen nothing to warrant it - he was by far the weakest on Tuesday, their number 20 did what I expected Harley would do

well we must see something in him since we have been after him since JANUARY...

Things were still compleeecated in the Argus in January

"The Seagulls are still refusing to give up on the talented midfielder despite having two bids turned rejected by their League One rivals. They are weighing up with going back with an improved bid or waiting till the summer when he will be out of contract.

Poyet 'From our point of view we wanted to keep everything quiet' 'We kept everything internal' 'Steve must have his reasons' 'Ryan is totally different to the ones we have got in the way he plays and understands the game and because he is out of contract in the summer we were hoping to get him early doors' 'The situation has changed, everything was going the right way, but now it has become public, which complicates things.'

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
definitely

well they put five in midfield, closed up the game giving us very little room to play in and we didn't deal with it at

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Ryan Harley has been shocking. Yeh scored a great free against Peterborough, but apart from that he has done f*ck all. Would rather have Sparrow in the team and I don't really rate him either. I heard someone say the other day that Harley is a Luxury player....... Really? Gus should have tried to sign a Lee bowyer kind of player. That's what we lack

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ryan Harley has been shocking. Yeh scored a great free against Peterborough, but apart from that he has done f*ck all. Would rather have Sparrow in the team and I don't really rate him either. I heard someone say the other day that Harley is a Luxury player....... Really? Gus should have tried to sign a Lee bowyer kind of player. That's what we lack

Perhaps he would have contributed more on tuesday if dicker hadn't insisted on taking (and wasting) so many free kicks (or gus insisting on him taking them)

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If Vicente is going to play in a more central or free role, I think we will struggle to play both.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Horses for courses. I suspect he is going to win us tight matches from set pieces or long range shots. However, clearly there is a very real risk of midfield being overrun when he's there because he isn't the best defensively and I don't think he's one to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

At the end of the day, Gus f***ed this up by leaving him on for too long - if Vicente had replaced him after 55 minutes or so, the game could have turned out very differently.

Overall I trust Gus's instinct in the market, he hasn't made of mess of many things. If he thinks Harley has something to offer, then that's fine by me.

He wasn't shit when he popped in that 30 yarder against Peterborough. There's always a next game. Thought he was ok against Palace. His trouble is that he looks a very laid back player and sometimes gives the impression that he's not working hard enough.

Four games played!...................give him time for fecks sake............

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Anyone else feel the same?
Yes, he can take a free kick, but what else does he contribute. I've seen him every time he's played, what does he actually add?

Totally agree - i thought he was pony when he was interviewed saying he doesnt bother to practice and is a laid back kind of bloke - not what i want to hear from my creative midfielder.

Has looked bad in all the games i have seen - albiet i missed the peterboro free kick. Hope i am wrong but looks like a wrongan!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
It really does not take long for the moaners to get on players backs. It is a trait of all football supporters but Brighton fans are particulalrly adept at it. He has started four games and had an injury during that time as well. For goodness sake give him a chance to fit in.

this,

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just think of how players like El Abd improved with us. A handful of games is much much to early to harshly judge a player.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
He'll do just fine for us, you can see how comfortable he is on the ball and he's certainly able to pick a pass. His defensive discipline needs improving, as we're not a side who can afford to carry passengers in that sense, but Gus will get him up to scratch and make sure we don't let his obvious attacking qualities go to waste. I'm sure of it.

Plus he has the ability to carry the ball into space and relieve pressure, which none of our other CMs (bar perhaps Sparrow) can do, really. Can be his downfall on occasions though, where a quick release would be more appropriate.

Last edited:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
cant have vicente and harley on the pitch at the same time.......let us hope hoskins comes good (for barnes) and starts to track back into the middle and do some damage too.

i agree with above, harley nor sparrow are the ones we need - and two wingers on at the same time (first 60mins) leaves too many gaps.

we have midfield issues - and dicker is always either hot or cold, and can't mix it - too skinny and weak.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There was another guy, used to play up front for us, who people frequently accused of being lazy and not running enough. Scored for Palace on Wednesday I believe.

Some players just look like they have all the time in the world, it's just their style. When it comes off for them, everyone says wow and thinks they're the greatest, but they're always the first ones to cop it from supporters when the team loses.

Me, I'll give Harley a chance, because he's only played in four games, and certainly hasn't been shit in all of them. Thierry Henry was shocking for much of his first few months at Arsenal, Gareth Bale did bugger all for months when he joined Spurs, and was on the brink of being loaned out until one of Spurs other players got injured. Players can turn things around once they settle in.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Plus I just had a poke around Exe-Web (Exeter forum) and there is a post on there suggesting that he always has, and always will appear very languid when he's on the pitch, and will never be one of those terrier types that run around harassing everyone with the ball constantly.

Sounds a lot like Murray to me...let's hope he proves that in time.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm not convinced he is the answer but for £250,000 he was worth the gamble. Vicente could be capable of playing the central role alongside Bridcutt but yet to see the same from Harley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here