Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Harley. I just don't get it.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Anyone else feel the same?
Yes, he can take a free kick, but what else does he contribute. I've seen him every time he's played, what does he actually add?

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
he is a second off the pace mentally (has missed a few potential killer passes by a second or two imo) and is not a high effort player... still think he could have ability to step it up though

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Has outstanding vision and range of passing, just hasn't quite adapted to the pace yet. Be fair and give him time, he'll come good.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Still too early to judge a player after 4 games. Yes his been well below par, but we must give him time before we start to criticise and get on his back. If Gus feels his under performing or more importantly not giving 100% he will be either having harsh words or potentially placed on the transfer list.

He looked good on debut against Sunderland and then scored the best free kick I've ever seen by a Brighton player so not a bad return from 4 games.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, he can take a free kick, but what else does he contribute. I've seen him every time he's played, what does he actually add?

me to, so you were you away at Bristol and Leicester as well?

he was totally pony,

That moment when he was dispossessed by Bristol City Player and then with ball next to him wouldn't move or challenge? he needs to work hard on his defensive/ playing without the ball.

No doubt he can pass and shoot, but seems half arsed and non committed often without the ball

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair i remember thinking 'this player looks shit' the first few times i saw Bridcutt but gredually he has become one of the best Albion players i have ever seen.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A

I said straight away to you at home to Peterborough that he doesn't seem to fit in but no you wasn't having it and every game since you've said to me " I see what you mean by not liking Harley now" :thumbsup:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not going to say he was good last night but we lost the midfield when Noone and Harley were replaced by LuaLua and Vicente.

LuaLua, as fantastic as he is going forward, doesn't offer as much as Noone defensivly. Vicente had 20 minutes and I think understandably, due to coming to a new country and a big derby game like that, struggled to get into the pace of the game.

Yes, we'd already lost our way a bit, but there was far to much space and we totally lost the midfield. We really, really needed Sparrow or Navarro to come in there, but its easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
So far I've not been too impressed by Harley - mainly as i'm not seeing much in the way of creativity

BUT i'll give him time and am not going to slag him off yet. i seem to remember people on here in pre-season suggesting that buckley wasn't going to cut it!!!

It really does not take long for the moaners to get on players backs. It is a trait of all football supporters but Brighton fans are particulalrly adept at it. He has started four games and had an injury during that time as well. For goodness sake give him a chance to fit in.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Against Posh he looked the bees knees. Excellent control, head up, finds the right pass, made himself available - he looked like the player who was going to give CMS the type of service he needs.

I heard against Bristol City and Leicester he looked a bit lazy - which did not sound good. Then last night he just drifted in and out of the game - was one of the midfield who went static, did not put the challenges in, did not look up to the task. I don't know what to make of it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
He looked a Thomson, the guy who went back to Scotland. Sorry, Harley isn't good enough. Remember Henderson-'I'm good at distribution, therefore a good keeper'. Well Harley is 'I'm good at dead balls therefore a good player at this level'. Sorry, both very wrong. Crap keeper and crap midfielder.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
me to, so you were you away at Bristol and Leicester as well?

he was totally pony,

That moment when he was dispossessed by Bristol City Player and then with ball next to him wouldn't move or challenge? he needs to work hard on his defensive/ playing without the ball.

No doubt he can pass and shoot, but seems half arsed and non committed often without the ball

I was at Bristol and he was dreadful. The thing is he just appears to be lolling around and certainly not busting a gut. I thought he was there to bring CMS into the game, cover off behind the front two and be the one that was setting everything up - genuine question .. am I mistaken? All I see from him is getting the ball and giving it back or sending misplaced passes straight to the opposition.

Yes he's only played 4 games and comparing him to Bridcutt is wrong given Bridcutt had no experience at all - we paid good money for this guy and apart from a great free kick I've seen nothing to warrant it - he was by far the weakest on Tuesday, their number 20 did what I expected Harley would do

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I'm not going to say he was good last night but we lost the midfield when Noone and Harley were replaced by LuaLua and Vicente.

LuaLua, as fantastic as he is going forward, doesn't offer as much as Noone defensivly. Vicente had 20 minutes and I think understandably, due to coming to a new country and a big derby game like that, struggled to get into the pace of the game.

You may have a point with Noone but Harleys replacement had nothing to do with things changing. He was getting murdered out there after about 10 mins. It wad a hottor show. Vicente should have come on much earlier imo.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
He takes a decent corner as well.
The corners that he took against Palace in the 1st half were varied and pin-point.

He doesn't seem to have the most energetic engine on him, I don't know if that's because he's still coming back from injury and getting to used to the pace of The Championship, this Division would certainly be quicker than Division Two in his Exeter days.

I say give him another three or four games to decide....

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The most bizarre sight to me on Tuesday, before the free kick was taken just outside their area when the ball was lobbed to Lua Lua. A player who was ounce Spanish player of the year and a proven goalscorer, was standing at least 5 yards away from any other player in the box, not one player on either side was looking at him. Both sides were determined to get the ball to Lua Lua, so they left a player with a nailed on goal in either foot, looking like the fat kid at team selection. :shrug:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I say give him another three or four games to decide....

Well it would be wrong to write him off now (as I wanted to do) but in those 3 or 4 he's got to be improving each game to warrant the pre signing hype and his own daft words in the interview about "dropping down from the Premiership" If Gus was as angry as I suspect he was after that game I imagine Harley would have come in for a bit of managerial criticsm

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
FAR too early to say. Especially when he could be carrying a slight injury.

From what I've seen he looks like he could be exactly the kind of player we've been looking for, someone who is comfortable on the ball (a MUST for any Gus player) with the vision and ability to make a killer pass around the box.

Whether he delivers on teh promise I believe he has, only time will tell, but "time" is a lot more than 4 games.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If harley is so great with freekicks, why was Dicker wasting them all v palace?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I think I'm in a minority but I actually thought that Harley had a decent game on Tuesday and his substitution was actually the turning point of the game.

I thought Dicker and Painter were by far the weak links in the team and were getting mugged off everytime and if you look at Zaha's goal Dicker makes a half hearted challenge and then just gives up on him...terrible!

I still think that that Matt Sparrow should not have been dropped after the Liverpool game as I thought he was excellent alongside Bridcutt and I think he's unfairly taken a bit of flack for the fact that Dicker isn't upto this standard of football and so he and Bridcutt have been the ones covering for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here