Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Giggs

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
maybe cos if you like football they're great to watch from a neutrals point of view?

it seems to be quite "cool" to hate man united, I dont get it really I think its jealousy. How you can like football and not enjoy watching utd and arsenal play is baffling to me

Where did I say I don't like watching nice football?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
wasnt referring to you necessarily, just generally

so you like watching man utd and arsenal then?

Of course, both teams play lovely football. Although I don't like watching Man U in the pub while all their southern, obnoixous, glory hunting supporters cheer.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I also have a healthy dislike for all the top 4 bully boy clubs.

I was chatting to a Liverpool fan recently and we both agreed the only other fans we have had phone us or text us when our own teams do shit is United supporters. Most of whom are glory hunting twats who haven't even been to Old Trafford.

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
Why do you think he chose Wales over England? He was born in Wales to Welsh parents and Welsh grandparents. He had no choice, Wales is the only team he is qualified to play for.

It's true that he played for England schoolboys but that's because he was educated in England and the schoolboys' teams are picked solely on where schools are located: in theory, England Schoolboys could have 11 players not qualified for England.

Great player though.

Thought his dad was english, and he decided to play for wales after his old man divorced him mum .....Hasn't spoken to his dad since

not 100% though :shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I and a number of other BHA supporters spoke to his dad in a pub in Cardiff before the play offs. Well we were told by the governor of the pub that chap you were talking to was Ryan Giggs father. I think I read that he has since died.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I too, like every other person who hate Man United but this player is an exception. I think he is a pleasure to watch and its such a terrible shame he chosen Wales over England.

Imagine Giggs on the left and Beckham on the right for England at the World Cup in 1998 and 2002?
He didn't 'choose' to play for Wales any more than Beckham 'chose' to play for England. He played for Wales because he was born there and both his parents were born there. The only other nation he's qualified to play for is Sierra Leone as that's where his paternal grandfather came from.

The confusion comes because in 1981 his dad (Dan Wilson) was offered the chance to play professional Rugby League with Swinton and so the family moved to England for a bit. (In the days of amateur Rugby Union Welsh players were often offered professional contracts with R.L. clubs.) That doesn't make him English the same way if you lived in France for a bit it wouldn't make you French. When his parents divorced he dropped his father's name (Wilson) and took his mothers (Giggs).

Incidentally when he lived in England he suffered racist abuse at school because his Grandad came from Sierra Leone - and when he was younger he considered himself black!

I was going to have a similar pop at Aids about this. However it got me thinking, it has been mentioned in recent years that foreign players like Cudicini and Alumia could play for England due to be residents here for 6 (?) years.

What is the exact rules here? Could someone with Welsh parents (and grandparents), born in Wales play play for England if they have lived her for X amount of years, or does it only apply to non-Brits?
When I lived in Newport, I was told that I could eventually play for Wales, despite my English parents and grandparents. Footballing ability didn't seem to come into it, mind you.

I also have a healthy dislike for all the top 4 bully boy clubs.

I was chatting to a Liverpool fan recently and we both agreed the only other fans we have had phone us or text us when our own teams do shit is United supporters. Most of whom are glory hunting twats who haven't even been to Old Trafford.

Am in agreement with that...at college i know some fans of clubs such as man city and leicester, and dont get a single remark off them, but when it comes to those who do, it's the countless chelski supporters i know who seem to shove it in my face that "brighton are this" "brighton are that" and gets boring, but it's like they take pleasure out of it.

Have no problem with united fans though,as dont know too many, is just the chelski lot at college and outside it who are complete knobs when it comes to the concept of REAL football that is the championship and all leagues below.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is there not something in the rules that state that if you are British ie. from England . Wales Scotland or N Ireland you can opt to play for any of those countries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here